Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can someone please post some pics of your hand controls I’m trying to figure out if I can build something for a rzr 570 without spending a small fortune thank you ?

·
Registered
836 Posts
I just searched google for “rzr hand controls” not only are there a lot of them but it (to me) seems the easiest would be to basically use the right sode of a motorcycle handlebar. Incorporating a twist grip throttle and a hydraulic hand brake, mounted in the middle. Or mounted which ever side is best really.
Other than that theres a lot of lever types but Im not positive how they work. Id search and hit “images” and scroll through to get some ideas.
By all means post up what you come up with so that other can search and see as well.

Sent from my iPhone using RZRForums.net

·
Registered
155 Posts
Can someone please post some pics of your hand controls I’m trying to figure out if I can build something for a rzr 570 without spending a small fortune thank you ?
I've built my own controls for my last 2 UTV's. Been modifying and installing controls for 38 years on over 50 vehicles. Here are some pictures of latest effort originally built for my 2017 Ace 900 XC and Now on my 2018 RZR RS1. Pictures are from original build on the ace 900XC. Main motivation was to not have any rods or assembly below steering column. Hope this helps.

Attachments

·
Registered
615 Posts
I have a set of portable hand controls I use daily, the problem with using them on my RZR (900 trail) is the spring on the gas pedal is strong so your thumb gets sore quick. I was going to get a set like Todd from Hunterworks sells if the permanent hand controls I have from a car I had didn't work.

Attachments

·
Registered
155 Posts
Were did you get all the parts ? I really like your set up thank you
The brake handle was from an old set of (rocker for throttle) controls I had laying around. I bought 5/16 and 3/8 rod, stainless Heim joints, and a piece of 1x2 rectangular. They mount in place of the steering adjustment strut.
Cut, drilled, bent, threaded, welded, refitted, tested, final tweaks, scuffed off roughness, then power coated to make them look presentable.

Credit to patrick hendriks youtube video which gave me the inspiration for the throttle ring idea.

·
Registered
615 Posts
Interesting setup renegadetwin, how's that throttle ring workin' for you?
No luck finding youtube vid

·
Registered
155 Posts

·
Registered
466 Posts
I just used some old monarch rock/push ones i had removed from a car I sold and modified the bracket to work in my RZR. No way to really get any decent pics with it all put together. The sure grips hunterworks would be good, as they are smaller to fit in the machine better than ones from a regulart car.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I agree with GimpyRZR. In fact the brake lever/handle I used is from an old set of Monarch controls.
It is great that Hunterworks has stepped up with reasonably priced controls.
The main problem with traditional type controls is they get in the way of entering and exiting vehicle for the able and disabled. Also are a hazard in a crash/rollover.
I know this from 38 years of experience in over 50 vehicles. My original UTV was a 2009 RZR-S which took about 30 hours of fab work to tuck the controls up out of the way. The ring throttle with right hand brake is presented here as an alternative to conventional controls and their deficits. Any backyard mechanic, with minimal fabrication skills, can copy these controls specific to the vehicle and user needs. Hope this helps 17val and others to create some more functional, reliable, safer, and visually pleasing controls they can be proud of.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Just remembered part of the fab process was to bring the 5/16 rod to a machine shop to roll it into a perfect circle the same diameter as the steering wheel.
Probably could have used a torch also.

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
I have a set of portable hand controls I use daily, the problem with using them on my RZR (900 trail) is the spring on the gas pedal is strong so your thumb gets sore quick. I was going to get a set like Todd from Hunterworks sells if the permanent hand controls I have from a car I had didn't work.

One of my good friends that rides with me uses this setup. It works well for him and he goes everywhere we go. He amazes me driving because we ride some really gnarly trails and he does excellent. He has a XPT & a XPT4, both with hand controls. He recently removed the set from the XPT because his wife drives it now.

17val - I just spoke with him and he would sell his setup for $500. If your interested let me know and I'll get you his contact info.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts