Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking into getting a Polaris Ranger XP or Can Am defender. (I know this isnt a can am forum but it is the only forum I can find for disabled users)

I have a disability which only affects my legs. I have Suregrip hand controls on both of my vehicles and I really like them but not sure how they would work on a side by side.

Does anyone find their left arm gets tired when driving all day from using the hand controls? Would I need an arm rest ? What hand controls are recommended?

Anyone else using hand controls on a ranger Xp?

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
They have a special section for this somewhere on here

Sent from my iPhone using My finger

·
Vendor
10,366 Posts
I am looking into getting a Polaris Ranger XP or Can Am defender. (I know this isnt a can am forum but it is the only forum I can find for disabled users)

I have a disability which only affects my legs. I have Suregrip hand controls on both of my vehicles and I really like them but not sure how they would work on a side by side.

Does anyone find their left arm gets tired when driving all day from using the hand controls? Would I need an arm rest ? What hand controls are recommended?

They make them specifically for UTV's, don't think they have the defender yet but ranger for sure

We sell them too

Todd

·
Registered
21 Posts
hi wheelin-roy,
Where did you find these ? They look nice… Do you think the leverage for braking is better than other hands systems (I mean : under the steering wheel)
My problem is the braking power, my right arm is very weak, and I think the linkage between my hand control and the pedal isn't optimal…

·
Old but not slow
3,175 Posts
My buddy Ron "The Gimp" (50's) had his fabricated. He uses a left side twist grip throttle attached to the brake lever (attached to the steering column)which he pushes to apply. Steers with his right hand. This guy hauls buns and can usually maintain a fast pace for an hour before taking a break.

·
Premium Member
406 Posts
They are called Menox. They are very easy to use.I think you can use a smaller spring to make things easier to pull and push. It's really a nice and clean setup. just google Menox hand controls.

·
Premium Member
18 Posts
I put a set of monarch mark 1a's on my RZR. They are left handed, so you wouldn't have to worry about your weak right arm. You can find used ones cheap on Ebay and CG. My arm does get tired after a long ride though on the throttle. Braking is great. You push directly down onto the brake so you get a lot of leverage

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So I just bought a ranger tonight. Now gotta figure out if I wanna stick with sure grip hand controls or another type. I do like that sure grip has a kit made for the ranger I bought.

Attachments

·
Registered
657 Posts

Had some from a '89 S-10 Blazer I used to own , had Fun putting them in :liar::rofl3:

·
Registered
23 Posts
Get a honda Pilot FL400 steering wheel and steering quickner. Take out the brake peddle and cut the throttle peddle almost in half. Cut a slit in it and run your throttle cable thru it and secure it with a cable end. Youll have to drill a hole in yhe firewall right behind the peddle and use a clutch lever adjuster from a dirt bike anything else equivalent. Get some fittings for your brake lines and make some brackets to hole em im place.

Attachments

·
Registered
657 Posts
So How much would that cost? $$$

·
Registered
23 Posts
It cost the price of any parts you need plus your time.

I paid around $400 for the steering wheel...they rape people on those pilot wheels.

The steering quickner is about $100 from speedway.

I made all the mounts and cut the steering shaft myself. There is a steering quickner kit out there for $600 that includes the brackets and steering quickner.

Brake lines and fittings were about $100. I bent up and made the brake mounts myself.

Other random stuff I had laying around. Like a throttle cable and cable adjusters.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I also fabbed up this fiberglass thing to hold my right leg. It works well for me. I dont have anything holding my left leg. But I have prp door bags and my knee rests up against there ok.

Heres another shot of the steering quickner mount I made.

With this setup I am on an even playing field with everyone else.

Attachments

·
Registered
23 Posts
I have my rzr1000 for sale now.

I have a Honda pilot steering wheel and a fiberglass leg restraint in it.

It works better than anything else Ive seen people use.

Anybody interested let me know.

Email me at

[email protected]

Mitch

·
Registered
657 Posts
I also fabbed up this fiberglass thing to hold my right leg. It works well for me. I dont have anything holding my left leg. But I have prp door bags and my knee rests up against there ok.

Heres another shot of the steering quickner mount I made.

With this setup I am on an even playing field with everyone else.
Got a couple question.
Was looking at the pics and noticed the black thing on the floor. Does that block
the pedals from your feet ? If so, what is it made of? Is it fiberglass too? I've been trying to think of something to use.

·
Registered
285 Posts
I spectated at an offroad event a few weeks ago. There is a guy who competes in the UK SxS champoinship, he's paralised from the waist down.
He has all of his controls on the steering wheel. He certainly doesn't hang around. Looked a very neat and tidy setup.
I'm sure there are some from the UK SxS community on here that might point you in his direction

·
Registered
23 Posts
Yep. The black piece is a fiberglass leg restraint. It holds my right leg and keeps my feet from sliding together. I haven't worried about my other leg since it rests against the padding on the inside door bag. I wanted to make something to hold my left leg but it would then be in the way of getting in and out.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts