Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

"Grumpy mod" air intake question

15K views 17 replies 9 participants last post by  54warrior 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Anybody done the grumpy mod air intake on a 2010 RZR? I was reading some of the other posts there seems to be two types of K& N filters being used for pre-filters K&N 33-2143 which was used on the Grump Mod post and I think that was 2008 or an 07 RZR with old style filter box set up.
I have also seen others using K&N 33-2170 I am not sure which K&N to purchase or does it not make any difference. The only thing I see different in the specs, is there is a slight difference in the size between the two.

#2 ·
You could probably use the K&N filter 33-2008-1. They run about 30 bucks. I did the mod but a little different. I bought the Intake grill from UTV crap and mounted it between trhe seats. I then cut out enought plastic from the intake box to get the filter to snug in, then used Gorilla duct tape to secure and plug any openings. For now I'm using a cheapo Purolator filter that's the same size as the K&N. Haven't had a chance to ride yet but looking for a day ride sometime in the near future. Sorry no pictures, I have troubles downloading them from my 'puter to the Forum.

#3 ·
aipaohana,

I checked out the UTV grill looks nice I have couple of questions, Is the UTV grill made to fit the K&N 33-2008-1 filter?
Does it help hold the pre filter in place to give it a good seal or did you have to do some retrofitting to get it work?
Also are those machine screws, or are they sheet metal screws that holds the grill in place. Thanks!!

#4 ·
#6 ·
Protector,

As far as the filter goes, it seemed like a good fit. It's square and i didn't have to remove as much plastic. I checked the ones you listed and they might work. Just remember, measure twice, cut once. The grill mounts with ss bolts and nylocs. I wished I'd seen something like the insert gun before I went this far. I was looking at threaded inserts but didn't dig deep enough. As it is, I have to remove the rear bed to get to the filter. Not a big deal since I remove it anyway after each ride to clean out the intake box and all.

The grill does firm the filter in but I still use Gorilla tape to secure it until I can come up with something more secure. The filter fits snug on top and bottom. But I'm left with a 1 - 1.5 inch opening on each side. That's where the tape comes in.

I'm thinking of adding a piece of plastic to close the hole and then cut out an opening to fit the filter. It fits nice right now but I haven't busted it up in the desert yet to see if it holds. It's still a work in progress.

#7 ·
I used the 33-2170 for the simple reason, I got it for free. I just cut a hole the same size as the filter, Plugged the original air slot with a strip of foam and pushed the 33-2170 in the hole. No disassemble, No tape, No grill, No oil.
I'm sure the other K&N #'s will work just as well.
I don't know the "Grumpy Mod" by that name

#8 ·
Jeff it was "Grumpy Rider" not Grumpy Mod. my mistake, So from the sounds of it it really doesn't matter which K&N you use out of the 3 that have been mentioned in other posts.

#9 ·
I used a paper filter available at most parts houses for less than $10. I believe it may be from an early 90's Camaro. I blow mine out while it is still in the machine. Been selling an servicing ATV's since "86" I have seen too many dirty intakes from using K&N's. I think we are trying keep out the dirt aren't we??

#10 ·
Another idea which I will post pics after I get mine installed is to use a 8" round deck plate between the seats that is installed over some bulk 12"x12" Outerwear material and then hit with a razor blade to trim off the excess. You only need the outer ring from the deck plate. The material can be bought at Dennis Kirk. This is a popular mod on the Toyota Tacoma's as a cheap way to help airflow but you only use a 4.5" deck plate. It looks real clean when done and should work well. I often open my air filter up and blow it all out with a leaf blower in between rides. This will work to blow out the Outerwear as well.

#11 ·
Re: "Grumpy Rider" air intake question

Does anybody have info on the Grumpy / Holtz conversion?? I see a earlier post, just wondering on the model of the K&N inside the air box and is silicone in place?

#15 ·
Here are the materials for the pre-filter with the 8" deck plate. With this method you can put the lid back on for muddy/wet riding and the RZR will be as stock after you remove the foam from the original intake slot. Otherwise you have a 8" Outerwear pre-filter between the seats. I hope to get it all installed this weekend. I ran this same type set up on my old Toyota Tacoma with good results.

#16 ·
^^^ Do you have any pics of this installed?

#18 · (Edited)
If you cut the material or put holes in it, does it have a tendancy to fray? Is there a way to combat that? Like maybe melting the edges together somehow? IDK?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.