Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I had one of those stomach-churning goof ups last week. I have the 3-seat Twisted Stitch bench, and had a couple of kids jump in for a quick ride, and rather than sizing the harnesses to hold them in, I just had them throw the shoulder belts on and off we went... A couple of minutes into the ride, we jumped over a berm and bounced into some fine gravel. As we went though the gravel, I started hearing what I thought was gravel hitting the engine behind me, but when we got out of the gravel, the sound kept going, even when we got into the sand - it almost sounded like somehow gravel got into the engine, and I didn't seem to have any power - I would hit the gas, and the engine just revved with that grinding sound. Then the girl sitting in the middle (wait for it...straddling the gear shift...I'm cringing as I type this) said, "I think I might have bumped this when we went over that bump, does that matter?" I looked up and the gauge wasn't reading a gear. I slammed on the brakes and put it back in gear. It ran fine the rest of the day, (although I heard a few guys decided to put it through its paces while I was out on the boat, which I'm sure didn't help anything). The next day, it was intermittently making nasty rattling/grinding sounds whenever it was in a forward gears. It sort of sounds like a combination of the classic gear grinding sound, and the sound the handle bar in the passenger seat makes when it rattles around... It sounds like a bunch of things are just loose back there, but it's not really old enough for that yet, is it?

Am I in for a big bill?

Any suggestions for a place in Utah to take this to get an honest expert to look at/repair it?

·
The Beast
336 Posts
You may be in for some transmission repairs. It sounds like the shifter was partially engaged during heavy power transfer, which may have rounded off the edges of the gears themselves.
Let us know what you find out.

·
Registered
617 Posts
Good luck, because I'd lean to tranny damage, not belt. I can't imagine how bad that sound must be.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
If it had happened to me, I'd drop the skip plate, drain the transmission fluid, take a magnet to the fluid and see what surprises are waiting. If nothing or very little refill the tranny and do the same to the transfer case. Go forward from there pending what is found.

Mike

·
Premium Member
245 Posts
Don't know where you are at in Utah but Tri-City Performance is a Polaris dealer and a site sponsor so call over there and see what they have to say.
Tri-City Performance
461 s. 800 w.
Centerville, UT. 84014
Phone: 801-298-8081

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well they went through it, even put a scope up inside and looked it over, and they said it looked perfectly normal. No metal shavings or other abnormalities, so I guess I was being hyper-sensitive on the tranny. They weren't sure on the rattling noise I was describing, but thought it was either the clutch weights or the passenger-side grab handle.

It turns out Tri-City is very well known for their clutching, especially for tuning clutches for high altitudes (i.e., Salt Lake City), so they're adding some additional weights to the clutch and tuning it for the altitude. Should be good as new later this week.

Whew!

·
Registered
15,386 Posts
put your foot on the brake and see if the rattle stops.
the rear brake pads rattle.
if that is the source of the sound, you can adjust some of the slop out with an allen wrench on the caliper. just dont make them too tight! jack up the rzr, put it in N, and spin the tires to make sure the brakes aren't too tight.

·
Desert Rat
2,118 Posts
Good news from all over, no issues and a clutch setup to boot.

·
The Beast
336 Posts
Which clutch setup did you go with and how do you like it?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.