Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thanks for reading and hopefully help! I have read and reread these pages over and over. I'm new like many others into this RZR thing. I've only been riding 4 wheelers since 2007. Had a Honda Rancher 420 4x4, 400EX and now a 700XX. The 700XX is awesome. With that being said I don't have anything now that my 8yo daughter can ride. This is where my interest in the RZR has come in. They look like so much fun, etc. etc. Videos on youtube seem to be mostly the S models where the guys are riding HM trails. That's where we ride mostly WV, Busco Beach, Carolina Adventure World.
I did have a RZR 570. Went 3 hours and picked it up. Before the call the assured me it was built AFTER Jan 2012. Information that you great guy/gals had mentioned. Anyway, bought the unit, started going home and realize it was built DEC 2011. Long story short, they gave me the money back and took the machine back. It was a lucky day for me.
So then I started hearing I wouldn't like the 570, to get the 800. So I started procaine 800Le.($10700 with no tax. buying out of state). Then I read all the stories of hot bed, intake, etc......so that's scary.
Now I guess my question is this.
570 problems, seem to be backfiring, lean.....is this all the units or are people only complaining here...Does anybody ride with people who seem to be 99% happy.
If I break the engine in "correctly"...10 hour take it easy, etc....will this greatly improve my chances of not having problems.
shocks.....go the TRX450 used route or bite the bullet and get the fox advertised for $1k full set off this site?
Get the walker evans....
never new buying a toy would be so hard....i guess Polaris seems to get alot of negative, where Honda seems to be reliable and dependable....
I know I need a winch, top, new tires? etc...so it seems to be a money pit.....
on the flip, it seems people think its money well spent....thanks for any support one way or another...

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
My buddy got a 570 in May and it has been great. It was built before Jan 12 and had the recall work done before he bought it. He has rode this thing hard from day one and has had 0 problems. He has about 500 miles on it and has even sunk it once on accident. After he drained the intake and put new oil and air filter it started right up. I have a 2009 800 and if i were to buy a new 50" machine it would be the 570. Way easier to do maintenance and more advanced engine/drivetrain. My .02.

·
Registered
84 Posts
My 570 was one of the recalled ones also. Right now it runs great.

What I find interesting is the complaints about backfiring. My machine has never backfired or stalled. It would be nice to know what percentage of people actually have this issue.

It seems the worst part of these machines is the totally junk shock spring setup.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for sharing your experience. I'm thinking I'll get the 2012 570 with the rebate. Then either do the Honda TRX450 shock swap, or try and get the Fox Podium shocks they advertise. I think I can get the 570 for $8900 (then I'll have to pay VA taxes I think)
So then I'm up to over 10k if I buy new shocks. I think the Walker Evan edition would cost me around $11700 (still have to pay taxes when I title it).
I'm thinking about getting the Twisted Stitch 3 person seat, so that would be $700is, but give me the ability to take my wife and daughter at the same time. I'm assuming the 570 can pull us with no problem. None of us are extremely big.
I guess it's just such a hard decision because it's alot of money for something that will probably sit in the garage alot. I don't have anywhere to ride locally, so I have to trailer it.
I also hate the thought of paying 9k and then having to upgrade shocks. You'd like to think that the shocks would be fine spending this type of money. I watched the video on switching out the shocks and some of it looked like a PIO.Anyway. I'm greatful for the internet and all the information available. I think I'm going to check out some RZRs tomorrow and see what temps me..

·
Premium Member
1,363 Posts
If you get the 570 check the wiring harness for the rear lights. Make sure they are routed so they do not come into contact with the muffler. This is a common problem. Before you worry about shocks try the stockers. Set the shocks up to the 4rth or fifth notch. The springs are soft from the factory but setting the springs up stiffer helps the shocks work much better. Mine went through the recall and the only problems I have had have been dealer caused.

·
2012 RZR 570
49 Posts
I bought mine on June 6th and have had zero issues with the exception of mice getting in. So far I have over 60 hours on it and over 350 miles.

Mine does have some of the "problems" others have stated such as stalling on occasion. This has only happened to me around six or so times and at low speeds. It also backfires a little, but I don't really mind that. Mine is also hard to shift on nearly any incline. That is the think I hate most about the RZR so far. I ended up buying the parking brake from Nelsons ATV on EBAY. I want to be able to park anywhere anytime and that really is a must buy in my opinion unless you live on the prairie.

I had the dealer install the Lock & Ride roof when I purchased it.

I also picked up the Polaris 3500 HD winch on EBAY for less than my dealer wanted.

For me the stock tires have been just fine so far. No punctures or flats with the exception when I had a stick pull the valve stem out of the rim.

I haven't adjusted my shocks from the stock setting, but I'm sure it would help with ground clearance and comfort.

I should also let you know I've pulled somewhere between 1 and 2 dozen logs down off mountain with my 570. I even pulled a 6x10 open trailer up the mountain with a small plywood hunting blind on it.

If it matters I ride on mountain trails and I've also had zero issues driving straight up the mountain where the put in a 2' natural gas pipeline in last fall.

FYI mine was built after the recall.

·
Registered
385 Posts
got an after recall one.
currently right at 30 hours and 150 miles. i run it pretty hard, after doing a 5 hour break-in, kinda.

it stalled 2 or 3 times in the first 5 or so hours, hasn't since. i do get some backfiring, but not a ton. usually only when going from WOT to zero throttle.

only complaints(i can live with them) i have is the hill parking/hard to shift out of park, and the annoying vibration it gets when it locks into 4wd. i'll eventually buy a parking brake, but it's not a big deal.

i took both sways off, because i climb a lot of off camber stuff and mess around in ruts. also cranked the shocks. they still leave a lot to be desired. i plan to do the ltr450/yz shock setup.

i swapped out the stock wheels and tires for aluminum S wheels and bighorns, for now. plan on 28" aggressive tires soon. i need more clearance for where i ride(lots of mud).

·
Registered
160 Posts
I got one of the first 570s that came in and i LOVE it. I have just over 1k miles on it and the only problem I had was a voltage regulator that went out. Its easy to service and there is just something to fun when the guys roll up on there 800s in the mountains and where they have to stop because of the 50" gates i roll on through. On of the guys in my group got a 800 50" at the same time and he likes the bottom end grunt that my little TUG BOAT as he calls it has so im all to happy and would never consider any thing else unless i move to the dunes where that XP would be a better choice

·
Registered
21 Posts
Purchased mine in Feb was recalled and went through new rod replacement. I have 500 miles on it with no issues. I have an occasional backfire but nothing major.

·
Registered
306 Posts
I have over 2000 miles on mine. It was built after the recall date. Tore 1 boot and took out a cv joint, tore another but got it in time. Only other thing is the gasket between the muffler and pipe. Mine does backfire on occasion but u get used to it. Love the machine and no problem keeping up withh the 800 except op end. Have a 2 inch rubberdown lift and the springs cranked half way. Lots of clearence atleast 12 inches. Just a little tippy but all is good :):redrzr:

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So the majority say, they love it and if you can get use to an occasional backfire, it's no big deal. A parking break is another "mod". All and all it seems people will buy it again. I called a guy today who was selling a 900 S. Just wondering why he sold, his opinion, etc. He said it just sat to much to justify keeping it. I might be in the same boat. One thing, once you have one, you don't want one!!

·
Registered
109 Posts
sad but true my buddy won a emp front bumper with light guards at the taylor park ralley thank you doug from emp, 4 days latter he buys a brand new 570 from fun center in durango co takes it camping on labor day weekend it dies no compresion tow it back , now back at fun center well we are not having fun it was built march 3rd, not sure what to do they want to fix he wants a new machine has 70 miles on it not sure what to do any ideas ??????

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I almost pulled the trigger on another 570 today. I told myself going that If I got a "deal I couldn't refuse", I'd take It. I don't really think I was offered that deal. (I think $8500 would have been the number) that's without tax. I'm guessing I'll get hit with 5% tax when I title It!
So the good to me, It was built April of this Year! It had a "crate" scratch on the right back panel. They said they'd get a new sticker and mail it to me or put it on. ( I know something minor, but paying this kind of money, I just want it 100%
It wasn't put together or serviced, so I couldn't just drive it away. I didn't have time to wait, so I told them to let me think about it. That's just what I'm still doing as you can see I'm back on this site!
It's also so hard to look at the "cool" bad ass looking 800 S with the fox shocks, big horn tires/rims, fender flares, etc. and then look at the stock 570. I think price was close to 13k for the 800 S.
For that price, I think the 570 plus $1k in shocks and $500 tires, rims, I'd still come out in the long run with a better machine with the 570? The walker evan was around 11700 and in FL.
I'm still thinking hard of calling them in the morning and just getting it done. Once again, such a hard sale for me, knowing that I want ride it that much. (no place to ride, unless I trailer, then the cost of gas, etc...) On the other hand, once I have a RZR, I want-want a RZR! I'm going to check out the prices people paid, because I still don't think $8900 is so great considering theres rebates. ( I thought 1k, but they told me $400...he's eating $600??? not sure.

·
Registered
385 Posts
I'd take that deal. That's less than I paid as an employee.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks dinolord. That helps to know that it is a fair price, or good deal. I just am having a hard time because I'm sure I'll upgrade the seats,shocks,wheels& tires....so with these additions do I buy the stock 570 and upgrade how I want? Or does the price reach what a Walker Evans 800 Is? Then you get into the debate about the 570 being a more modern, easier to work on, change oil etc. machine. Better transmission, gas mileage almost as much speed. It's overwhelming.
I don't like the thought of buying something for $8900 (when I pay taxes it will probably be around $9400) and not like what I'm getting. How did others just pull the trigger knowing the same stuff I know? Like I said, I bought one before and wasn't as "educated" as I am now. Things to look for ,etc.......

1 - 16 of 16 Posts