Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just thought I'd mention this: I was finishing up the installation of a new RokTec lift kit and decided to throw a little grease toward the suspension parts, ie, swing arms and such. I found two zerks that would not take grease so I pulled them and found they had never taken grease. They were as dry as a popcorn fart in a sand storm, as were the a-arm shafts. They were both 90 degree fittings and when I disassembled them I found the part with the check valve was not functioning. This is a pretty new machine so I'm hoping no permanent damage was done. I also found the rear swaybar was dry. These fittings worked okay, they just hadn't ever been greased. Polaris "Quality Control" is definitely in question. You guys migh want to check all your zerks.

Be aware!
Pete O.:rm_thumbdown:

·
Banned
5,672 Posts

Member #7974

Re: Grease zerks.
Does anyone know the size/thread for the zerks?

A few notes on the serts:

The grease job on my XP was dismall at best. No complaining but some of us pointed it out over on the "problems thread" just as a heads up.
Easy fix as most of us has a grease gun and preferred grease.

What are they using? Look up that Polaris part#. It has to be an SAE std.
Problem is it is already drilled an tapped and you live with it.
If you need to replace it take it down to Pep Boys to match it. They will probably have a vernier at the counter if you don't at home.

If you want to drill and tap your own serts for whatever reason, and we have discussed that, use an UNDERSIZED drill bit in the THIN wall areas. That hole will open to the correct size super fast usually. I'm only talking about a few thousandths. If you start to insert the sert and there is too much resistence you can go with the .003 larger drill bit and like that feel threading it in.

In drilling and taping thick iron less caution is needed, just use the nominal drill size usually.

When in doubt find a test part.

You won't want metal shavings inside so consider a magnetic thingy. Sears sells them for a few bucks. you slide it over your bit a few times and its gaussed. Instant magnetic drill bits.

Another cheap way to magnetize is to lay it on a speaker magnet. It works.
All these guys with huge woofers have instant magnetizers.

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
A few notes on the serts:
Mark, as much as I hate to fall into the ranks of the Internet spelling and grammar Nazis by correcting people here, I felt compelled to step up for Mr. Zerk.
Yes, it's Zerk fitting, named for its inventor. Oscar.

Consider it a public service message.

And a big thanks to the OP for making peeps aware and to Turkeyhunter for the specs.

Also there's one hidden on the rear of the drive shaft....grease that puppy :)

·
Banned
5,672 Posts
yes I know i use the slang and Jim has been helpfiul before.

More notes:

interesting that on the front arm uses both, the top uses the smaller 1/8" or metric???? in the center
and the bottom of the arm is 1/4" or metric???? outbound. (Mine does anyway)

My Machinery's Handbook shows metric in 5,6,7, 8,10,12mm and higher

God only knows what Polaris does.

Also BSP (British) std. in that book.

Hey Jim, add another raspberry Entenmanns to your list.

·
Registered
2,534 Posts

Now, that's the best thing I've heard all day.....grew up not too far from the Entenmann's spread on L.I.

Kinda partial to the cream cheese filled coffee crumb cake myself...:liebe069:

Just for conversation sake, what are you guys using to grease your RZR's? Whatever you have in the gun or something special? :popcorn:

·
Registered
995 Posts
Thanks fellas. Because I keep the Rzr at my place up north, I often find myself trying to put together plans down here without the convenience of actually seeing/measuring.

I know one or two of my zerks seem to never want to take grease. I have to hold the gun fitting dead on, and strongly on, just to get the first one or two squeezes. It's not the coupler because it works fine on the sway bar and other zerks. I figured I simply could replace the zerks with new hardware.

·
Rzr spy
2,235 Posts

Now, that's the best thing I've heard all day.....grew up not too far from the Entenmann's spread on L.I.

Kinda partial to the cream cheese filled coffee crumb cake myself...:liebe069:

Just for conversation sake, what are you guys using to grease your RZR's? Whatever you have in the gun or something special? :popcorn:
I use Amsoil's Hi Temp Synthetic grease. It's purple-ish color.

·
Premium Member
4,381 Posts
We always called them grease tits. I swear.

·
Banned
5,672 Posts

My RZR: 2009 LE
Member #7974

I know one or two of my zerks seem to never want to take grease..... I have to hold the gun fitting dead on, and strongly on, just to get the first one or two squeezes..........

they will do that - rock the joint around and fight it

more notes:

I use a multi-purpose Mystic brand. Temp rating is somewhat high and waterproof, but I'm willing to learn.

My XP splined drive shaft grease job was pretty hack. Clearly seen only if you have the center console off. The skid bellys are supposed to leave a hole for that? Polaris uses a funky white grease there, albeit 1/4 of the spline.
I spent some time on that joint.

Sure thought Jim was Raspberry last year not the Cream Cheese. The Raspberry's been effective for me....I'm stickin with it. Don't matter how old or hard it is you will get free stuff wherever you take it in. But take in that Cream Cheese and you might be mounting your own tires.

·
Registered
3,301 Posts
Thanks fellas. Because I keep the Rzr at my place up north, I often find myself trying to put together plans down here without the convenience of actually seeing/measuring.

I know one or two of my zerks seem to never want to take grease. I have to hold the gun fitting dead on, and strongly on, just to get the first one or two squeezes. It's not the coupler because it works fine on the sway bar and other zerks. I figured I simply could replace the zerks with new hardware.
Yep I've replaced several of mine for that reason. You can get a pack of around 10 at Advance for a couple bucks.

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
Just a tip, if you have an air compressor capable of running air tools then go buy a air grease gun for $20 fro Tractor Supply or Harbor Freight - best tool I have eer bought.

It makes it easier to hold the tip on and simply squeeze the trigger. Also found it could grease fittings I was unable to by hand. It is a awesome if you have aluminum A-arm guards becuase of the funky angles you need to access the zerk fittings.

Another tip I bought self tapping variety pack from Napa taks very little effort to install if necessary.

·
Registered
633 Posts
In my opinion it's more the dealer that deserves the blame. The manufacturer should be automaticly considered incompetent of providing a full inspection of the vehicle because they have too many units passing through and basicly hire incompentent people at minimum wage to check these units over. The dealer is who we count on to give the final inspection of anything and everything they sell on the lot. My dealer goes over every unit that passes through their shop and takes photos and bills Polaris for any work the unit needs before it leaves the lot. A good dealer cares what they are putting their name behind and will go the extra mile to make sure you are getting all you can for your money.

JMO

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Slightly off topic word of caution.

If you're new to using a compressor powered grease gun - read the instructions on how much pressure the gun can take. Mine says 40 psi. I forgot to reduce the pressure once and nailed a zerk with 150 psi. Blew out a seal on my toy hauler. Not a fun fix. The grease gun still works fine, so no damage there, but I'm real careful about the pressure now.

Mike

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #20

My RZR: 2009 LE
Member #7974

I know one or two of my zerks seem to never want to take grease..... I have to hold the gun fitting dead on, and strongly on, just to get the first one or two squeezes..........

they will do that - rock the joint around and fight it

Not in this case, my friend, the inside of the zerks was dry, very dry, and even with the two pieces of the zerk seperated they still wouldn't take grease, even under high pressure. Been around for 66 years and I do know how to use a grease gun.:tools1::rofl3:

1 - 20 of 35 Posts