Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I haven’t found any discussion comparing GPS Connected Devices. If you have one please leave your opinion on yours down below! I’m still looking for one.

These are the brands I currently know about. Please tell me if there are more & your opinion on it.

Garmin
Lawrence
Magellan
iPads
Dell Rugged Tablet

·
Registered
2009 rzr 800 converted to S width , WE shocks , 3 inch lift
703 Posts
Have used Garmin Gps , GPS 3, now etrex 10. Basically similar . On unit 5 now still have a gps 3 + about 20 years old works good. Etrex 10 in case I need to walk out. Keep extra batteries and should have power for 24 hours.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I have used OnX hunting app on my phone for several years and really like it. They now have an OnX Offroad version (they also have a hiking app now too). I like the OnX as I can download maps of the area I'm going to ride or hunt ahead of time and have them available when on the trail. Its nice having a true satellite image of the area where Im at, but you can toggle between satellite/topo or a hybrid. The OnX OffroD app has filters for trail types such as 50 inch, full width 4x4 and regular roads. You can track your progress or plot a route ahead of time. Its very user friendly and intuitive. If you find an interesting location you can set a waypoint too. You do NOT need to have cell coverage for the maps to work, as long as you have downloaded them ahead of time. When I hunt, I always download far more map area than I think I might need. You can custom name the individual maps, and there are three resolution options. I always download the highest resolution (5 mile) as it gives the best image as you zoom in.

Yes there is an annual subscription for the membership, but the app itself is free. if you have other questions let me know of feel free to PM.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have used OnX hunting app on my phone for several years and really like it. They now have an OnX Offroad version (they also have a hiking app now too). I like the OnX as I can download maps of the area I'm going to ride or hunt ahead of time and have them available when on the trail. Its nice having a true satellite image of the area where Im at, but you can toggle between satellite/topo or a hybrid. The OnX OffroD app has filters for trail types such as 50 inch, full width 4x4 and regular roads. You can track your progress or plot a route ahead of time. Its very user friendly and intuitive. If you find an interesting location you can set a waypoint too. You do NOT need to have cell coverage for the maps to work, as long as you have downloaded them ahead of time. When I hunt, I always download far more map area than I think I might need. You can custom name the individual maps, and there are three resolution options. I always download the highest resolution (5 mile) as it gives the best image as you zoom in.

Yes there is an annual subscription for the membership, but the app itself is free. if you have other questions let me know of feel free to PM.
Can you post a picture of what the maps look like with the satellite overlay you mentioned? I am interested in this.

·
Registered
2015 XP 4 1000 & 2020 170
11 Posts
7” Samsung tablet with GPS (not cellular). Spent about $150 on the tablet and $75 on a RAM mount. It has always stayed connected to GPS in the Ozark mountains and from what i can tell is pretty accurate.

The app i use is Avenza. Most MVUM maps the forestry service provides leaves a little to be desired as far as detail is concerned (topography, rivers/streams etc) but it gets the job done and they’re free. I have purchased more detailed maps for some areas I that i ride frequently.

With the 7” screen i have it mounted to the passenger grab bar and can see the map and my location clearly while driving. I will also download a huge portion from google maps for “offline use”. This comes in handy more in the truck when we get into rural or mountainous areas where we lose cell service. The google offline map stores everything (you can search for specific address’s or even search “walmart” and it will bring up the nearest location). It basically works like your connected to cellular.

As a bonus i also use the tablet as my “stereo” to bluetooth to the speakers. So my phone just stays in my pocket.

I have an OnX subscription but only use it on my phone more or less to “scout ahead” or scroll ahead of an unknown trail to get some perspective on where it ends or leads to. This is usually a “pre-trip” action when planning trail routes for the weekend.
Vehicle Car Speedometer Motor vehicle Steering part

Sent from my iPhone using RZRForums.net

·
Registered
134 Posts
Can you post a picture of what the maps look like with the satellite overlay you mentioned? I am interested in this.
It's not an overlay. Think of OnX as an enhanced Google Earth. Depending on the road options you turn on/off the roads will appear in different colors. When you download the 5 mile resolution it will really give you a clear image. There is a 3D mode, but it doesn't have all the functionality as the 2D does.

·
Registered
359 Posts
I use OnX as primary and Avenza secondary. I am able to use them across all of my platforms, computer, tablet, phone.

OnX, as stated above, is not an overlay. It is "google maps" as a base and then trails and routes are laid over that.

You do have to be mindful with OnX though. Really there are 3 "layers" you need to look at.
1st highlighted trails. This is information that is input from MVUM, state or local travel maps or user submitted.
2nd is the old USGS data that shows single and 2 track trails/roads. Many of these either never existed or no longer exist. Also these were hand calculated long before GPS and often are not "exactly" where they show on a map.
3rd is roads/trails you can physically see on the satellite map.

For example last night we were on some state ground with no trails layers. It did have a lot of USGS layers. Looking at the satellite image you can see roads/trails under some of the USGS layers, but not others. You can also see other roads that do not exist on USGS or the trails layer.

Ultimately there is no "one best" platform, to include paper maps. Each has their place along with advantages and disadvantages. Having redundancy is good.

·
Registered
11 Posts
What Nwcid said. All true. OnX is by far the superior map app to Avenza. I could run it on my tablet if a chose too but i think i prefer the Avenza maps for a couple reasons.
First, it’s “what i grew up on” so it’s what i’m comfortable with. There is some simplicity to them, plus, if you’re in a heavy Forest Ranger trafficked area as long as you’re running the newest version of the map and stay on marked trails no $250 ticket for being on closed trail. (Just good to know when you’re gambling with a run in traveling “off map”).
Second. Since i’ve been running it so long all my “pins” and old “rides” are in Avenza and it’s free to share with friends. If we want to navigate to a waterfall, scenic overlook, rock formation, cave or shallow river crossing all my data is there from years past. (I just started my onX subscription last fall so GPS points are scarce in onX for me)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Wait these apps will give your a $250 ticket if you go off the trails they haven’t marked?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Wait these apps will give your a $250 ticket if you go off the trails they haven’t marked?
Lol, the apps don’t ticket you, Forest Rangers do. The Forest service is constantly closing trails. Permanently. Even though the trails still exist in nature if they aren’t marked as a trail on the current year MVUM map they’ll ticket you for it. In AR they’ll hide over the hill in their Forest Ranger RZR or Ranger and ticket you.

·
Registered
14 Posts

One little tidbit of info on this. It DOES NOT provide a route or turn by turn navigation so I really don’t see the point unless your walking or flying.

·
Registered
63 Posts
7” Samsung tablet with GPS (not cellular). Spent about $150 on the tablet and $75 on a RAM mount. It has always stayed connected to GPS in the Ozark mountains and from what i can tell is pretty accurate.

The app i use is Avenza. Most MVUM maps the forestry service provides leaves a little to be desired as far as detail is concerned (topography, rivers/streams etc) but it gets the job done and they’re free. I have purchased more detailed maps for some areas I that i ride frequently.

With the 7” screen i have it mounted to the passenger grab bar and can see the map and my location clearly while driving. I will also download a huge portion from google maps for “offline use”. This comes in handy more in the truck when we get into rural or mountainous areas where we lose cell service. The google offline map stores everything (you can search for specific address’s or even search “walmart” and it will bring up the nearest location). It basically works like your connected to cellular.

As a bonus i also use the tablet as my “stereo” to bluetooth to the speakers. So my phone just stays in my pocket.

I have an OnX subscription but only use it on my phone more or less to “scout ahead” or scroll ahead of an unknown trail to get some perspective on where it ends or leads to. This is usually a “pre-trip” action when planning trail routes for the weekend. View attachment 672470

What tablet did you use

1 - 17 of 17 Posts