Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Been working on a oil cooler/filter relocate setup for our 2019 XPT 4. Finally got it done today. Mounted under the rear drivers side seat by the battery. I did not want to mount it up high on the cage because of oil drainback when the engine is off. Its really well protected and out of the way. Has a fan to move the air and it does that really well. I am going to fab up a alum plate that will bolt on to protect it all from things flying off the tire. We only ride sand and some mountain fire roads so it should be fine. No mud. Its also done so if it does get damaged I can bypass it just by moving one hose and adding one fitting that I will carry in the rzr. This setup also increased the total oil amount by 1.4 quarts.

Also got our Cagewrx cage welded up, powdercoated and installed, rear high clearance radius rods, AA clutch kit, tuner, charge tube, intake tube, SDR doors done. Hope to go on our first ride next weekend.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. Yea, the sup does not come anywhere near the line and I still have plenty of room to put a alum cover over it for protection from the tire throwing junk at it.

·
Premium Member
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Not really, Its 3 inches higher then the bottom of the frame, has a skid plate under it and it will have a alum shroud to protect it from stuff flying off the tire. If I hit something hard enough to get to the filter I have worse things to worry about BUT I also thru a stock filter in my bed toolbox just in case.... I have a autometer oil pressure gauge with a low pressure warning light on the dash so I will know if somethings wrong.

When I was building the system I did not want the filter or cooler higher then the stock filter mount because sometimes the oil can drain back into the engine from the cooler (even with a non drain back filter) then you get a "dry start" situation when you start it with no oil pressure for a few seconds. I know people run the coolers on the cage all the time, I chose not to. This way also makes checking the oil easy, once the system is full you just make sure its at the full mark. On a system that drains back it will read way over full so you really don't ever know if you have the proper amount of oil in the engine. YES, I totally over think this stuff!!!

·
Premium Member
977 Posts
Looks good, but I’d install an oil pressure gauge and be watching it closely. That is a pretty big system and those oil lines look pretty big as well. I’d want to make sure my oil pressure isn’t dropping too low. I’ve never seen the factory oil pump be tested to that kind of capacity. And yes I have a remote cooler as well but smaller than yours adding some 2/3-3/4 of an extra quart with -6an lines and without also relocating the oil filter. I’m not saying yours will fail, I’m Just glad you’re the guy testing it and not me.

·
Premium Member
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It puts no more strain on the oil pump, the pump does not know the total capacity and since I have the filter and cooler at sump level its not having to pump the oil up to the cooler like most are mounted on the cage. It "might" even make it easier on the pump because it now has almost double the filter area to pump the oil thru. I've done this to MANY engines from one cyl's to v12's in boats. The lines are just over 1/2" ID, (#10) I did not want to go the next size smaller and kill the flow. YES, its total overkill for this engine flow wise but I'd rather error on too big of lines then too small. Too big just means extra capacity, too small kills flow. I wanted to use #8 lines but after I bought all the fittings in #8 I started looking inside them and they all restrict down to smaller then the ID of the hose itself so the fittings end up being the restriction in the system and that bugged me so I went to #10.

I do have a oil pressure gauge AND a "idiot light" that will come on if it dips below 25 psi. So far just running it in the shop up to temp it has about 40 psi at idle and about 80 psi revved up a bit with hot oil. I'm assuming when I really run it hard and the oil and engine are really hot the light will flicker at idle.

Hopefully it works, if not I will redo it all again...lol..

·
Premium Member
977 Posts
Awesome sounds like you have the right equipment to do the appropriate testing. Do keep us updated, I will be following. I do like where you mounted everything, unfortunately I don’t have that same available space in mine with my dual battery kit.

·
Premium Member
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just ran it around our field a little bit and so far it seems happy. Good oil pressure with hot oil, 75-85 revved up and 27-30 at idle. Hope to take it on a "real" ride next weekend and get a few hours on it.

·
Premium Member
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Update on this. Got three days of running in the dunes. So far only one issue, a bad fitting was leaking a bit at the swivel. I replaced it and good to go. Has good oil pressure at all times and the cooler is pulling a good amount of heat from the oil. If I leave the fan off and heatsoak everything then turn the fan on I get about 3 lbs more oil pressure back as the oil cools off... I also think its taking a little bit of the load off the main radiator, I never saw over 190* in the three days. The first two days it was only about 55* but yesterday it was 80+ and my coolant temp stayed very consistent all the time.

·
Premium Member
36 Posts
that looks like an awesome setup. i bet you could piece together a kit and make some money too! I had an oil pressure switch that I installed on my rzr (same as yours, but a 2018) that was supposed to close the circuit at 15psi and my idle oil pressure when hot was too low to trip the switch. Dipstick readings were all good, so I'm surprised to see you say your idle pressures are so different. Maybe I just had a bad part...

·
Premium Member
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The lowest pressure I saw was 20 lbs. I might have a little more pressure because there is no restrictions in my system, might be running thicker oil, etc.. The line size and the oil filter size is total overkill for a 925cc engine but that was my goal. Plus, I tend to not worry about idle pressure as long as it instantly goes up with rpm.

·
Premium Member
36 Posts
I used the access port on the passenger side of the engine where there's a brass plug on the turbo oiler line. I wonder if the pressure there is less than where you are measuring?

just realized I kinda hijacked this thread....sorry

·
Premium Member
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I used the access port on the passenger side of the engine where there's a brass plug on the turbo oiler line. I wonder if the pressure there is less than where you are measuring?

just realized I kinda hijacked this thread....sorry
Not a hijack if we are learning! I'm reading oil pressure at the outlet of the oil cooler so yes, it could very well be I'm reading a area with more pressure.

·
Premium Member
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
MHX-514 High-Efficiency Oil Cooler MHX-514

I bought the MHX 514 cooler with the fan shroud and fan then made my own setup with it. Got the remote oil filter adapter and all the fittings from Summit.
Which remote oil filter did you buy, can you provide a link please? Want to get one I know will work with it. THanks!
The one I bought was from Earls. I don't know the part number plus I had to machine it down on my lathe to make it work, the OD was too big and hit that shield around the base of the filter mount. If I was to do it again I'd order one from a UTV parts place so it would be guaranteed to fit.. I made this one fit but it's not right and I will be replacing it in the future.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts