Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I got the call from my dealer and my new (well used) 2011 rzr 800 s le is ready for me to pick up. It had some issue with the drive shaft making a rattling/knocking sound...said they fixed it not by replacing the shaft, the u-joint, or whatever...but by repairing a bent "cross bar"..? They say the noise is gone, but im still skeptical about how much play that drive shaft had when we were wiggling it....but I suppose if there are no noises ill just keep an eye on it...ANYWAY...

I am looking to get a helmet...

Ive struggled on how I think I will use a helmet. Most all of our riding is trail riding, but definately off and on we are on some steep and rocky alabama hills. I think having only gone a couple times with my brother so far, I am not at all worried about any sort of high speed roll...its 99% low gear stuff, except to pop onto the occassional road for a minute...Im most afraid of rolling just while traversing really rugged stuff at low speeds....particularly while climbing steep hills with real rocky stuff (flip backwards?)...

I am too careful to worry about stuff like spinning out, jumping, etc...mostly just worried about a fairly slow roll.

I have the stock cage on for now...not entirely sure for my use if anything else is really needed..from reading the forums here, it would seem that I need to save up for a better cage, but the money simply isnt there for now.

I like to drink a few beers (nothing crazy, any more I always get sick :rm_thumbdown: - and I like to talk with my brother or whoever would be riding with me while cruising the trails...

I am thinking the best compromise is one of these open faced helmets with a flip up shield...we have a windshield, but a rock flying up or a limb slapping my face would be not fun, but it still would allow easy beverage access :beer8:

I think in a fairly low speed roll a DOT approved helmet of this variety would be a decent option? What do you all think?

Also, provide me some specific brands that I will like....im flexible on cost...but hard to think that I would spend more than 300 for this use...and if so ill be saving a couple months :scared2:

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
sorry, I tried to search the forums to get more info on this subject...read 14 pages of the what helmet you use poll....it did not talk too much about this type of helmet so I wanted to expand on it and clarify my wants....thanks ahead of time!

·
Registered
335 Posts
A scorpion 900 series is convertible. Open or closed faces with flip up face shields. Just got mine.

Sent from my Motorola Electrify

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
How the hell do I know what size to order - pretty "normal" sized head - a "large" in the store felt fine to me but it was a different helmet....?

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
cool...it looks like the 200 open face is up my alley...cost not bad too...89 bucks on ebay buy now...

You know...to be honest...Ive NEVER used EBAY...I need a tutorial on it...my understanding is you want a highly rated seller, and you can obviously bid using pay pal...hopefully I can bid on one of these and get it for a pretty good price...

Thanks you all...if others have other recommendations, let me know...

Just out of curiosity, what is it about scorpion in particular that folks recommended it vs. some other similar design but different brand?

·
Registered
202 Posts
There aren't many manufactures that still have open face helmets intended for off road. The reason I think is that demand is low so most of the ones I see are lacking a little in quality. The exception in my opinion is the helmets made by Troy Lee Designs. He has several different styles, from retro/old school to modern themed. I own several Troy Lee Helmets & they are both quality and cool! A little pricey but a $10 helmet for a $10 head right? As far as size goes, go to your local dealer and try some on. Once you find the size, try that size in a couple of different brands to be sure it's correct for you. Good luck!

·
Registered
341 Posts
I highly recommend you try the one you want on even if you don't plan to buy it at the dealer. Fit is absolutely everything with a helmet. A helmet that doesn't fit correctly is just as dangerous or more so than no helmet at all. If you aren't familiar with helmets, you need a knowledgeable sales person to help fit you for one. Also, I believe there is one concern most people tend to overlook when buying a helmet. Is it designed for repeated roll bar strikes? Something that needs to be considered with a RZR. I am new to off road helmets, but I know a ton about motorcycle helmets and race car helmets. Several, very big name, helmet manufacturers told me when I was racing cars, not to use a motorcycle helmet for this very reason. They are not designed for repeated strikes against a roll cage like a race car helmet is. Like I said, I'm still learning about off road helmets, so I don't know much about their design, but conventional thought would suggest that they are not designed for use with a roll cage since atv's and motorcycles don't have them. I may be wrong on this point, but ask the manufacturer if they recommend the helmet you are considering for use where a roll cage is present. The sxs is a relatively new thing, and I would think until someone starts designing helmets for them, one designed for a race car would be best. Not that any helmet wouldn't help, but a helmet is all about protection. If it's not designed for the application, you aren't getting the protection that you should. Like Fireiron said, "a $10 dollar helmet for a $10 head right?". I'm sure there will be people that say any helmet will do, or a certain brand is the best, or just buy this helmet, and that's fine, I just want you to consider everything, and it doesn't cost anything to ask a company about your specific application. Hope this helps you be safe.

·
Premium Member
16,003 Posts
this one is made by simpson
light weight
i bought this from steve at black rino
he is a vendor on here they were pretty cheap,
he can help you out with sizing too

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Sweet!!

Can you hear out of that very well?

Love the idea that folks I would ride with would talk via mic in helmets, but folks around here do not wear helmets on rzrs period.... Including my brother and his wife who I will ride with a lot :(

·
Premium Member
16,003 Posts
hearing is no problem,
we added rugged radio headsets and a intercom that plays our i pod music and it has vox so it kills the music when we talk

1 - 20 of 31 Posts