Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
909 Posts
We went spring '09. We stayed at the Castle lakes RV park, you can access the loop directly from the campground. The local police/sheriff/hi patrol were very tolerant of us driving around town in the rzr's as well as dirtbikes. There are maps of the loop somewhere on the internet, or in town. We only rode on the main loop and some small side trails but there are many different trails available from the loop that our more challenging. Silverton does not allow off-road vehicles so you cannot go into town, but the loop is very big and beautiful, take a camera. I wish I was going! Have fun!

·
Registered
287 Posts
Have fun!!! In 2008 my wife and I were there stayed at Castle Lake camp ground. Great folks!! couple of things that I would suggest get the alpine loop map I think there available in Lake city where you purchase your permits the book packed full of information and the history of the different little ghost towns, also pack cold weather gear and rain gear, and a good camera awesome views. Although we were on utility quads the ride on a RZR will be great too, you will see a lot of jeeps on the trails as well. novice people who have never been off road before!! It was interesting to watch some of them city slickers!!! We rode from the CLCG all three days, and could of stayed longer we were there a week after Labor day Our first day we rode up to cinnamon pass 12,640 feet above sea level and there was snow on the mountain caps and over to Animas Forks we did get caught in a rain sleet & snow the storm came up behind us, what a surprise we also rode the Rio Grande, Grizzy gulch trail, silver creek traisl make sure you have plenty of fuel with you, there are no gas stations out there. Beautiful county. Would defiantly go back!!

·
Registered
677 Posts
I went over Memorial Day Weekend-had a blast! Beautiful scenery, snow, low humidity. We stayed in Lake City. Be sure and get the $20-25 permit. Mine would not stick to my rzr so I stuck it in the glove box. I'm sure I would have been checked had I not had it. Plenty of side trails. We did not do anything that I would consider tough. I'd do it again in a heartbeat.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Just got back a month ago, been going since 1980 and never a bad trip. The aspens should be turing during that time frame and it will be a trip you'll never forget. The elk should be bugleing and you very well could get snow. Take a good camera and enjoy!
P.S. the trails are great.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Fantastic place to ride. Spent 10 days at the ghost town site of Eureka about 8 miles outside of Silverton around the 4th of July. Got rained/hailed/snowed on at various times up in the passes. Did the Alpine Loop and many other rides. Stony Pass or California Pass are great rides. Keep in mind that while the Hinsdale County Sheriff and the Lake City PD won't stop you... the State Police will if they catch you riding on Hwy 149. Have a great time and here is a great book of rides. ATV Trails Guide Colorado Silverton, Ouray, Lake City, Telluride [978-1-934838-03-7] - $19.95 : FunTreks Guidebooks

·
Kansas-Kid
402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I think getting snowed/rained on is enevitable this time of year. Thanks for the respones I didnt even think about getting a permit. We dont need no stinkin permits in Kansas! I didnt get a permit when I rode my KTM in Rampart Range maybe I was supposed to there too. I guess I will get a permit when I get to Lake City I'm getting old and play by the rules a little more these days. I will post some video and pictures when I get back and let you know what I thought of the place. More comments, suggestions, stories welcome!

:ride::ride:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.