Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive looked but have come up empty so need some help. Anyone gone down from 29" tires to 27"? I run, and love, Bighorn 3.0s but can only get them in 29 or 27 and i don't want 29s, i want to be lower

Anyone run 27s and your thoughts?

Thanks

·
Aspiring Perfectionist
4,685 Posts
Overall final drive will be lower, and you'll probably need to add a little clutch weight, but other than that, you're not going to have any ill effects from it, other than the obvious things like lower ground clearance and the like. It will actually be easier on the machine overall.

One still has to ask...why? I'm sure you have your own special situation for wanting to do it, but I'm curious as to what it is

·
Registered
322 Posts
I run 28 ultracross because they were dirt cheap and my big horns were getting too worn. They run great, i don’t see the difference on hard packed trails. I would prefer 32s, but the wallet said no.

Sent from my iPhone using RZRForums.net

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Overall final drive will be lower, and you'll probably need to add a little clutch weight, but other than that, you're not going to have any ill effects from it, other than the obvious things like lower ground clearance and the like. It will actually be easier on the machine overall.

One still has to ask...why? I'm sure you have your own special situation for wanting to do it, but I'm curious as to what it is
I don't rock crawl or want to bury it in a mud hole, i don't need that high of a ride height. I've always raced sport quads and that's the kind of riding i still like to do, fast. We ride local tracks and trail's here in Ohio, Hatfield, etc. I want to be lower for more stability and cornering. I recently upgraded from a 900 xp and ran 27s with no ground clearance issues there

·
Aspiring Perfectionist
4,685 Posts
One thing I did think of after I posted that, and it still may not be an issue for you, but the stock suspension travel is setup where the belly of the machine hits the ground when the shocks bottom out, so if you do drop to a 27" tire, you will effectively lose a inch of suspension travel. The XP 900 was setup a little different, it would still leave about 1/2" - 1' of clearance when the stock suspension bottomed out on the stock tires.

You may consider just taking some preload out to lower the ride height for a couple rides before you drop a tire size, just to see if it's any better and more suited for your specific desires.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts