Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just purchased a XPT4 it’s got around 170 miles on it. All stock. Tonight after a short ride around my neighborhood maybe 2 miles I noticed the glowing red..Temp showed it around 189 190. Is this normal these to glow that red ? Just want to make sure all is normal. Sorry if this has been posted before. Thanks for any information.

Attachments

·
Aspiring Perfectionist
2,681 Posts
All good sir, plenty normal for a turbo to run that hot, don’t even have to push it hard.

make sure let it idle for 30sec - 1 minute before you shut it off to let it cool a bit ( it will still glow )

IMG_8188.jpg IMG_8184.jpg

-Give it a second... it had to go to space and back first ( Sent from the lifeline that is my iPhone XS Max )

·
Premium Member
1,032 Posts
Yep perfectly normal... as RWB713 stated- just let her idle a bit before you shut it off...It's spooky but it is what it is.

Have a 6 here in my shop- they all do it all 2019's

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Turbos can get red hot when your on the gas. Its probably OK, however, check your exhaust for restrictions.
Thank you! Just wanted to make sure. Is the stock exhaust pretty restrictive?

All good sir, plenty normal for a turbo to run that hot, don’t even have to push it hard.

make sure let it idle for 30sec - 1 minute before you shut it off to let it cool a bit ( it will still glow )

View attachment 580410 View attachment 580412

-Give it a second... it had to go to space and back first ( Sent from the lifeline that is my iPhone XS Max )
Thanks! Greatly Appreciated!

Yep perfectly normal... as RWB713 stated- just let her idle a bit before you shut it off...It's spooky but it is what it is.

Have a 6 here in my shop- they all do it all 2019's
Thanks. Will let it idle a little longer also then I have been!

·
Aspiring Perfectionist
2,681 Posts
The stock exhaust has a catalytic converter in it, which keeps a lot of heat built up in the turbo.

Gutting the cat and aftermarket exhaust are two common practices to get rid of it, and it does help, but it will still glow red, ( I have aftermarket exhaust, and those pictures I posted were taken after about 2-3 minutes of idle time after a short hard run ) Just the nature of a high rpm, exhaust driven, compressor turbine.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I like to call my "Engine Compartment LED" :D

I noticed it on mine the first night I bought it and was riding around my yard at night and I was wondering why they would install a red LED in the engine compartment.

·
Premium Member
1,195 Posts
If you loose your lighter ...you can always use your turbo to light up fresh smoke!
Don't ask me how I know

1 - 8 of 8 Posts