Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Questions for all you guys with XP4's running smoothies. I have the STU Blaster Pros 75/25 and was very happy with their performance last year while running crappy stock ITP's in the front. This season I am thinking about running smoothies but have have some questions.

Obviously my XP4 makes it up Olds but depending on the angle if I go up the steeper sections it really lags at the top and I feel that without the tread on the front tires I may not be able to get enough traction to pull the hill.

Also, I can't make it up China. No matter how fast or slow I hit the hill I couldn't make it. My buddy has an XP4 LE and made it over China the same paddles & big horns in the front. I know some just run better than others...

Will the added float of the smoothies make up for that?

Its just hard to believe that with less traction on the front it will be able to hill climb better. Im sure it will handle much better all around and be easier to steer but my question is with hill climbing.

What is your experience?

Thanks!

·
Registered
284 Posts
I didn't like mine, but it's because I do trail riding in the dunes out here. they didn't pull very good in the turns.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
AND ARE YOU GUYS RUNNING THESE ON XP4's or XP?

My brother has an XP and the power is substantially more and I know the smoothies would rock on it. But the XP4 is so much heavier and the power difference is big especially in the sand.

Just want to make sure don't end with worse performance after spending another $600.

·
Premium Member
41,099 Posts
AND ARE YOU GUYS RUNNING THESE ON XP4's or XP?

My brother has an XP and the power is substantially more and I know the smoothies would rock on it. But the XP4 is so much heavier and the power difference is big especially in the sand.

Just want to make sure don't end with worse performance after spending another $600.
I ran them on my RZR... Now on my XP...

·
Registered
15,386 Posts
I think the lower weight of the buffs would make them perform better than all terrain tires.
buffs do still pull in AWD a little.

·
Registered
948 Posts
Smoothies don't necessarily mean less traction in the dunes. All knobbies do in the sand is dig holes. In the sand flotation is the key so the increased footprint/contact patch of a smoothie will help keep you on top of the sand. I just bought some 26x12x12 smooth buffs from Unleashed UTV for my XP4 but haven't used them at the dunes yet. I'll let you know.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Your rig will clumb better with smothies! I ran them on my stock rhino & now I'm running them on my xp

·
Registered
90 Posts
I just bought the whole set at the sand show this weekend and after putting them up against the stock bighorns they are 2-3" taller. So the problem is if running in 4 wheel drive the paddles on the back are taller than the big horns on the front and I think could damage your front diff. I know in 4 wheel drive trucks all tires and gears need to be matched. If you are not using 4 wheel drive it should not be a problem. Mike

·
Registered
948 Posts
My front Bighorns are already shorter than my rear Bighorns by about an inch. 2-3 inches is quite a bit though. Are you sure thats the tire carcass or because its sitting on the tips of the paddles when you rolled them next to your Bigorns. My rear Sand Blasters are about 1.5" taller than my front bighorns and the fronts were spinning and throwing sand plenty while climbing the hills. Even with the difference in tire height with the soft sand of the dunes you're still spinning way faster than the machine is moving . I don't think it will hurt the front diff though since it only pulls. If the front wheels get pushed by the rear wheels it will just free spin. Besides my owners manual says the final drive ratio is 3.53:1 and the front drive ratio is 3.82:1. With that then the rear tires are always pushing the front tires anyways from the factory.

·
Registered
90 Posts
yes I did measure from the top of the paddles not the carcass. Thanks for all the info and corrections. Cant wait to try them out

1 - 17 of 17 Posts