Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We just traded 2 of our quads for a 170 for my daughter. It should be here by Wednesday this week and I am wondering what mods are a must right away? Are the intakes on the 2012's still a problem or have they been fixed? What else should I look at doing to it? We mainly ride in very dusty areas, not much water or mud if any at all. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
75 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
For what its worth, first find the hose coming off the top of the carb and make sure that you raise it up above the carb and tape it off to the frame or somewhere or use a T fitting as described in one of these threads. This will help to keep the engine from stalling in water. Even when you do this I have still stalled after a long day of riding. If that happens, take a screw driver and drain the carb bowl. After I have done this it starts right up and I have been good for the rest of the day. Another thing is that I have stopped using ethonol gas in any of my atv or rzr. I buy marine gas or recreational fuel if you have a gas station that sells it. I have not had any carb issues! (knock on wood.) I am not sure where you live but we live in Fl so a roof is a must. We got the soft top and it works great. As I write this a big wheel kit is being installed. Mechanic said it already runs faster, I'll let you know about that but it sure looks cool and gives it the few extra inchs of ground clearance you need. every inch counts, at least thats what Ive heard:) Hope that helps

·
Registered
759 Posts
We have. 2012 and my son has rode in all conditions and had zero issues thus far, no issues with intake or water so far . my only complaint and I know the fix I've just been lazy is its a bitch to start when cold. Need to mess with jetting

·
Registered
2 Posts
I purchased a 2012 Rzr 170 in the last 2 months. We ride in PA and took it to Hatcield & McCoy (WV). Unlike you, we did get into mud and water conditions, so all may not be applicable.

I purchased new shocks and bigger wheels/tires, suppose to get here tomorrow.
From the dealer, I purchased soft roof, underbody skid plate, and front bumper.
Roof is great!
Bumper- well, it is much stronger than its frame mounts. My son tagged a tree while making a turn (~5 mph I would guess). The bumper had no marks on it, but the frame under the passenger headlight bent back 3 inches. The bumper was inside the plastic. This of coarse broke the plastic, but the headlight was ok. This impact was on far right of bar and bent all mounts, frame had to be heated with a torch and bent back in place.
Skid plate I would say is a must for us, but three of the mounting straps have already broken.
I plan on snorkeling everything up to the rear deck this week, there is mud inside the belt box vents.
I have to do some of the other mods described above as we have had the stalling issues in water puddles and cold start problems.
I hope that helps.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks everyone for all the tips so far!! Turns out the 2012 that was suppose to be delivered tomorrow was sold before our dealer could snag it so we will be getting a 13 instead. Has anything changed on them? I did not see anything on the website so I assume everything else is the same? Thanks again!

·
Registered
212 Posts
Have you received your 13 yet? I ordered a le 170 in early aug and im told it still hasn't even shipped from Polaris yet??

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Have you received your 13 yet? I ordered a le 170 in early aug and im told it still hasn't even shipped from Polaris yet??
Yeah we were told that they did not have a ship date for the orange and white ones but they did have a red one still in a crate a couple of hours from where we live and that is the color my daughter wanted anyway so we snagged that one. I talked to my dealer a couple days ago and they said that they still are not showing any orange ones on their locator so there's no telling when they will ship. I'm sure polaris will put them out the closer we get to christmas.

·
Registered
461 Posts
I'm ordering a 2013 orange one today, dealer said end of November/begin of December.

·
Registered
13 Posts
My sons 2013 LE is suppost to be at my dealer no later than tomorrow. It was shipped on
the 10th. He is 5 and super excited, I will post pics when we pick it up.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts