Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive had my 2011 RZR 800 S LE for one week. Its got 42 miles on it and around 5 hrs. Bought it from the dealer. Pulled it out of the garage to wash it this am and when i put it back i couldn't get it into park. The problem is going into reverse. I noticed a couple times on my first ride that going into reverse it would grind slightly sometimes but this time it was straight metal on metal and loud! Called the dealer that sold it to me and they said it was normal, another told me it should never grind. Looks like I am going to take it in since its under warranty but I am pissed!:mad::mad::mad:

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I just loaded it up on the trailer and had to force thru the grinding (worse yet) and then it all just went away. Going thru the gears works perfect every time, no grinding and feels smooth. Of coarse it does this as I'm taking it to the dealer!!!! IS there some sort of break in for the clutch or something I'm missing here?

·
Registered
202 Posts
No that is definitely NOT normal. I would give your dealer a funny look when you see them next if they told you it was. Lets assume it is normal however, if it is they should have no problem firing up another rzr and replicating the issue for you. If they don't they themselves probably aren't worth the dirt on their shoes.

·
Registered
202 Posts
I just loaded it up on the trailer and had to force thru the grinding (worse yet) and then it all just went away. Going thru the gears works perfect every time, no grinding and feels smooth. Of coarse it does this as I'm taking it to the dealer!!!! IS there some sort of break in for the clutch or something I'm missing here?
Your clutch might make noise when you're slowing down and when the clutches start to disengage, for some people (like myself) it's loud when the machine is cold and basically goes away after a few miles (Will probably cost me $$ one day but maybe just a belt?). It sounds like a rubbing sound and not so much like grinding.

One thing to note: the rzr should not be parked on a hill or at an angle without a parking brake. You will can damage the shifter forks if this happens. Is there any chance this is what happened to you?

H

·
0 Posts
If it happens again turn the engine off if it shifts fine with the engine off chances are its a clutch issue,clutch alignment, bad center bearing ect..ie the belt and thus the secondary clutch is being turned at idle..it should be stationary..speaking of which it could also be idling too high..less common. If it still shifts poorly with the engine off then likely a transmission issue.

·
RZR Junky.....
2,718 Posts
If it happens again turn the engine off if it shifts fine with the engine off chances are its a clutch issue,clutch alignment, bad center bearing ect..ie the belt and thus the secondary clutch is being turned at idle..it should be stationary..speaking of which it could also be idling too high..less common. If it still shifts poorly with the engine off then likely a transmission issue.
This is exactly what you should do. It sucks to have to turn it off between shifts but I it hard on one to grind.

Drew

H

·
0 Posts
This is exactly what you should do. It sucks to have to turn it off between shifts but I it hard on one to grind.

Drew
And then take in to get fixed....as said its not normal. Gotta love some dealers.

·
RZR Junky.....
2,718 Posts

Drew
And then take in to get fixed....as said its not normal. Gotta love some dealers.
You sure do.

Drew

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I took it in anyway. The service guy told me if he cant duplicate it then he cant fix it. Then he told me its normal to hear grind if you shift to slow. I had him jump in it a try himself which he was able to hear some grinding. (a fraction of what I heard before). He then took me to a fairly new 4 seater with 150 hours on it to show me how they will grind a bit. The thing shifted better than my new toy!!! He kept it and said he would look into it. Not feeling warm fuzzes right now.

·
Registered
202 Posts
One thing I can say for sure, none of the rzrs I have had a chance to drive (4) grind when changing gears fast or slow. One of the RZR gurus might be able to help (swingarm1, alba nate among others)

H

·
0 Posts
If you aren't moving when you try to shift it should not grind AT ALL. First thing they should do is pull the belt cover and start it up..my guess is the secondary clutch will be turning at idle..that will cause it to grind and very likely is the culprit..a few things can cause this clutch alignment..ie alignment between the primary and secondary clutch is off allowing the belt to drag on a primary sheave. Usually easily fixed by adding or removing shims from behind the secondary. Could also be the primary clutch center bearing that the belt rides on at idle..if it isn't spinning freely it will turn the belt and cause grinding. A few other less common things can cause it as well. They have it now..hope they fix it for you. If you get it back as isnt fixed first thing I'd do is pull the belt cover ( and gasket so it doesn't get sucked out and chewed up) and start it up..if the secondary clutch turns at idle your dealer is clueless and I'd find a new dealer.

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
When washed it did you by chance get water in the clutch. There is a vent for the belt and if you got water in there it can cause problems. It may have dried by the time you got it to the dealer.

·
Registered
91 Posts
When washed it did you by chance get water in the clutch. There is a vent for the belt and if you got water in there it can cause problems. It may have dried by the time you got it to the dealer.
Where exactly is this vent for the belt you are talking about?:question::popcorn:

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
Where exactly is this vent for the belt you are talking about?:question::popcorn:
If you haven't done the snorkel mods then it's under the bed close to the center. If you have the engine cover off you can see the vent pipe going up from the clutch cover and goes up over near the throttle body. If one power washes the engine area it possible to shoot water into the vent.

·
Desert Rat
2,118 Posts
Remove the access panel behind the seats and you will see 2 tubes coming from the airbox. These are the intake for the engine, and the other will go down to the clutch. Ther is a second tube comig up from the clutch housing, this is the clutch exhaust.

·
Registered
9 Posts
This kind of makes me worry a little bit. I just got mine a few weeks ago, it has 80 miles on it. It doesnt really grind going into gear but sometimes its like the shifter gets stuck. You have to run it back a gear or two before being able to push it all the way to P.

H

·
0 Posts
This kind of makes me worry a little bit. I just got mine a few weeks ago, it has 80 miles on it. It doesnt really grind going into gear but sometimes its like the shifter gets stuck. You have to run it back a gear or two before being able to push it all the way to P.
Is the shifter hitting the console when you got to park? Something to check, if it is then likely the shift cable needs to be adjusted. But in my experience the Park position will feel a little different than the other gears just by nature of the design..
Next time it happens if you are where you can ease off the brake a little and let it roll a tad while you lightly push it toward park see if that allows it to fall in. And if you haven't discovered this..if you park on an incline it can be hard to get out of park and possibly cause trans damage when you force it out of park. Thats why aftermarket parking brakes are so popular. Set the brake before putting it in park and take it out of park with the brake on..keeps the load off of the park components.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts