Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner
41 - 60 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
2016 turbo 2 seater. Looking at 32" tusk terrabites. From m the reviews I'd guess true measurement at 32"-31.5". I'm guessing I'll be fine with stock gears and clutch.

Sent from my iPhone using RZRForums.net

You should be fine with the factory gearing unless your a dedicated crawler only type person. Then I can get you an additional 14% reduction in all ranges[/QUOTE]

I'll be doing a mix of riding.

Should I look at a clutch kit with 32" tires? Or would going with a 30" tire for awhile be the right choice until I've had the bike awhile?

And do you have a website?

Thanks for all the help

Sent from my iPhone using RZRForums.net

·
Registered
949 Posts
Should I look at a clutch kit with 32" tires? Or would going with a 30" tire for awhile be the right choice until I've had the bike awhile?

And do you have a website?

Thanks for all the help

Sent from my iPhone using RZRForums.net[/QUOTE]

I think most folks on here have experienced a nice improvement when going from 30" to 32" tires so I would recommend skipping the 30" experience. I expect you will probably end up with a clutch kit also, but I'll let some of the turbo owners chime in on that. No website yet, hopefully in the near future. And no problem, I enjoy helping out, Carl

·
Registered
969 Posts
Well I thought I understood this thread until the last post. Can someone clear up what gearing is in the 18' xpt? What year and model it is like? Did it change in 18' ?
The XPT (2seat) gear ratio changed with the 2017 model. Low range, (33% higher), is more or less the same as 2016 and newer XP1K which is terrible for crawling. You won't be happy, your clutch won't be happy, your belts may not live long enough to be unhappy. With that being said, the turbo clutch is better than XP1K, and its my understanding the starting ratio is lower than XP1K (larger diameter secondary). So, as long as you don't put the machine in a bind and maintain some momentum you may be OK. I know that the kind of crawling that I like to do, that's nearly impossible. Let me know if I can help, Carl
How does the XP1000 rockcrawler edition fit into this? Is it a higher ratio than my '16 XPT? Also what about my '17 General?
Thanks

·
Registered
949 Posts
How does the XP1000 rockcrawler edition fit into this? Is it a higher ratio than my '16 XPT? Also what about my '17 General?
Thanks[/QUOTE]

The Gold Trails and Rocks edition has a "claimed" 55% lower Low range than a '16 and newer XP1K. I've had one in my shop and ridden with them. I have them, at best, 35% lower than '16 and newer XP1K, which is still really nice and if you figure starting ratio's on clutches will be similar to the '16 XPT...in my opinion. But the next time I gear mine down I will be at 47% Low range reduction compared to stock and will be much better than the Gold. With that being said, the Gold edition can be further reduced beyond what my machine is capable of doing. For a dedicated crawler that can be a good thing.
The general has some Low range reduction compared to '16 and newer XP1K but it has that turf mode output which is only useful for riding around the yard/farm and the suspension won't work great in a crawling atmosphere.

·
Registered
969 Posts
Thanks
The Gold Trails and Rocks edition has a "claimed" 55% lower Low range than a '16 and newer XP1K. I've had one in my shop and ridden with them. I have them, at best, 35% lower than '16 and newer XP1K, which is still really nice and if you figure starting ratio's on clutches will be similar to the '16 XPT...in my opinion. But the next time I gear mine down I will be at 47% Low range reduction compared to stock and will be much better than the Gold. With that being said, the Gold edition can be further reduced beyond what my machine is capable of doing. For a dedicated crawler that can be a good thing.
The general has some Low range reduction compared to '16 and newer XP1K but it has that turf mode output which is only useful for riding around the yard/farm and the suspension won't work great in a crawling atmosphere.[/QUOTE]

Thanks. I use the General for trail riding in Colorado. It does fine for most of the stuff there. The '16 XPT is used for rock crawling mainly at Green Acres in Clayton, OK and Hot Springs.

·
Registered
949 Posts
Thanks. I use the General for trail riding in Colorado. It does fine for most of the stuff there. The '16 XPT is used for rock crawling mainly at Green Acres in Clayton, OK and Hot Springs.[/QUOTE]

Hey we just made our first trip to Hot Springs last weekend. LOVED IT! Used to go to Arbuckle before it closed. Have been to Burris Valley. RRMT. Maybe we'll meet up sometime...

·
Registered
949 Posts
Hello I have a 2015 xp4 and I was wondering what low gear I have and if it is possible to go lower in low gear? we Crawl alot. Thanks.
Sorry for the delay, I got distracted. The '15 XP1K4 has the same gearing as the '15-'16 High Lifter but no HD Reverse chain. Your options are pretty much just a reverse shaft change that will net you an additional 14% reduction. In all three ranges. That works fine in Low and Reverse for a crawler, but will slow your High range down considerably. I'll PM you some pricing on the Reverse shaft kit and also for the gearing with HD Reverse chain.

·
Registered
949 Posts
Please compare the 2016 XPTurbo to the Gold Rock Crawler model , gearing for rock crawling. Thanks
Those two will be very similar in Low range gearing. In stock form, the turbo may a slight advantage since it has a lower starting ratio in the clutch, (larger diameter secondary). Both machines will perform very well a crawling atmosphere. If I were to make a decision between the two I would go with the Rock crawler simply because I can put a Duraclutch on it. Duraclutch is a game changer for an XP in a crawling scenario.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I have a 2018 XPT4, and it's my first RZR, so I'm a total noob. I'd like to go with 32s, and I thought all I had to deal with is whether to re-clutch. The option/need of re-gearing sure adds to the confusion. What kind of ballpark money are we talking to re-gear if taken to a shop? We tend to mainly ride Arizona desert trails, but I wouldn't rule out the possibility of crawling or dunes, though it would be rare. How do you determine if you need a clutch/re-gear/both?

·
Registered
262 Posts
So my question is in regards to the Gold LE edition... they say a 55% lower LOW gear...what about high? Isn't the high gear reduced as well if you change one of the gears to do a reduction?? Or can high and low be reduced independent of each other?? Would the Gold LE with a Duraclutch and 32" Carnivores be a good setup for East TN riding??

·
Registered
949 Posts
I have a 2018 XPT4, and it's my first RZR, so I'm a total noob. I'd like to go with 32s, and I thought all I had to deal with is whether to re-clutch. The option/need of re-gearing sure adds to the confusion. What kind of ballpark money are we talking to re-gear if taken to a shop? We tend to mainly ride Arizona desert trails, but I wouldn't rule out the possibility of crawling or dunes, though it would be rare. How do you determine if you need a clutch/re-gear/both?
As long as you're just trail riding you will probably be fine with your current gearing and 32" tires. A clutch kit would help that situation. It's when you start riding at speeds that don't register on the speedo over obstacles that you will have problems. As far as knowing when to do a reduction, just ride it, if you start slipping the belt regularly or feel the need to go slower over obstacles, it's time for some gear reduction. If/when that happens, let me know.
Thanks, Carl

·
Registered
262 Posts
Depends on what you buy. Some kits will reduce high low and reverse and some will only reduce low gear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
OHHHH...OK!!! HAHA!!! I watched a video on Youtube and I thought he changed one gear and it reduced all 3... Maybe I was mistaken... The guy on the video showed a 27% reduction by going with gears from the Ace 500...does that sound right?? Would that be a good choice for a new XP1K to go to East TN???

·
Registered
949 Posts
Depends on what you buy. Some kits will reduce high low and reverse and some will only reduce low gear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
OHHHH...OK!!! HAHA!!! I watched a video on Youtube and I thought he changed one gear and it reduced all 3... Maybe I was mistaken... The guy on the video showed a 27% reduction by going with gears from the Ace 500...does that sound right?? Would that be a good choice for a new XP1K to go to East TN???
That sounds like a Reverse shaft change. It reduces all three ranges equally, Low, Reverse, and High so you will lose High range speed. Shoot me a PM, I will give you some options and offer suggestions based on how you drive your RZR. If you like what I offer I'll put a kit together for you and ship it to you.

41 - 60 of 84 Posts