Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner
21 - 40 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
949 Posts
Polaris messed up the Low range gear ratio's on XP1K4 in 2016, they've stayed with that ratio in all XP4's since.
Is this for the XP4 1K's or does that include the XP4 Turbo as well? I thought the 17 XP4 Turbos still had the same low as the 16XPT's.
That's for XP1K only, not turbo. XPT4 still has the good gearing

·
Registered
67 Posts
Officer_hood. What type of trans alignment tool you using for a xp turbo ? I’ve not see any that actually align it just some to check that it’s aligned like the osp. When searching this earlier in the year on my last xpt most dated the aluminum inner cover aligns the trans on these and to just bolt it up.

·
Registered
835 Posts
I use the Holz Racing Products alignment tool to verify alignment. On the Turbo, my experience has been that the aluminum housing pretty much indexes everything properly However, the minute I trust that I’ll find one that doesn’t align itself properly.
The 2016 non turbo tool is the same as the turbo.

Sent from my iPhone using RZRForums.net

·
Registered
262 Posts
So... I'm looking at an '18 XP1K 2 seater... what gear ratios does it have and are they conducive to the TN riding environments...Brimstone, Windrock, etc..??? I plan on installing a Duraclutch from Hunterworks almost immediately after buying it as well...

·
Registered
949 Posts
I'm not familiar with those places but Duraclutch and stock size tires should work about anywhere. For crawling, in my opinion, lower gearing is always better. XP1K's have been geared the same since 2016

·
Registered
262 Posts
So I am understanding that the 2018 turbo and the 2014 XP1000 I have now will be the same gearing correct? I can live with that.....just probably can't have it any higher without wasting a bunch of belts in the rocks
No sir. It has the same ratio as '16 and newer XP1K, which is 21% higher than your '14
It sounds good when you say it quietly, but believe me you won't like it when you put it to crawling. Crawling is what I do, you can smoke belts without effort with '16 and newer XP1K ratio

So, how was the Low Range ratio for the '14? Was it good for TN riding?? Rock climbing and trail riding?? What about High Range? What is it now vs. the '14? Are the gear sets from a '14 still available??

·
Registered
949 Posts
From a crawling view, '14-'15 Low range was decent. As long as your tire stays 30" and below and have a clutch kit and don't run your front tire up against an 18" ledge or rock, stop, and expect to "gas it and go". A little momentum and they do pretty good. High range is the same for '14 thru '18 on two seat. There are two stages of gear reduction available for them but will lower all three ranges equally. If you are going to larger than 30" tires they work great.

·
Registered
949 Posts
I went back and re-read your earlier comment about '18 XP1K and I will allow that at some point in your future you are gonna want to be on 30-32" tires for riding those places. Lower gearing for any size tire while crawling or slow technical riding is just easier on your machine and way more fun for you. Way less stressful to. My machine has a Duraclutch and 21% Low range only reduction with 30" Roctanes. It works really well for crawling at that tire size. Would it work better with more reduction? Sure, a little more would be beneficial but a lot more with 30" tires would not be efficient. I will be going to probably 34" tires when these wear out, (early spring probably), and my 47% reduction at the same time will compensate for the tire size/weight and give me that little bit extra reduction that I want

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
How does the 2018 XPT Low Gear compare to the 2017 S1K? I find the 2017 S1K Low Gear perfectly acceptable for the Colorado trails I run and I have 30" tires.

The reason I ask is I am considering a 2018 XPT this coming Spring, but feel like this discussion is somewhat headache inducing.

Josh

·
Registered
949 Posts
How does the 2018 XPT Low Gear compare to the 2017 S1K? I find the 2017 S1K Low Gear perfectly acceptable for the Colorado trails I run and I have 30" tires.

The reason I ask is I am considering a 2018 XPT this coming Spring, but feel like this discussion is somewhat headache inducing.

Josh
They are geared virtually the same and the starting ratio on the clutch is lower on the XPT. So if the S works for you now, you should really like the '18 turbo

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
They are geared virtually the same and the starting ratio on the clutch is lower on the XPT. So if the S works for you now, you should really like the '18 turbo
Thanks for the answer... at the same time you're not helping me any :rofl2:

Josh

·
Registered
105 Posts
someone needs to organize all of these gear ratios and model years on a chart. This thread leaves me more confused then anything.

I may do just that. In the mean time if you'll tell me what you have I'll give you available options.

2016 turbo 2 seater. Looking at 32" tusk terrabites. From m the reviews I'd guess true measurement at 32"-31.5". I'm guessing I'll be fine with stock gears and clutch.

Sent from my iPhone using RZRForums.net

·
Registered
949 Posts
2016 turbo 2 seater. Looking at 32" tusk terrabites. From m the reviews I'd guess true measurement at 32"-31.5". I'm guessing I'll be fine with stock gears and clutch.

Sent from my iPhone using RZRForums.net[/QUOTE]

You should be fine with the factory gearing unless your a dedicated crawler only type person. Then I can get you an additional 14% reduction in all ranges

21 - 40 of 84 Posts