Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner
1 - 20 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have read in some other posts that the xpt gear ratios are different than the xp1k. And also even the xpt's are different between years. Anybody have the numbers from these?
Currently have a '14 xp and looking to get a turbo. A little lower low gear would be welcome!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
17's are geared higher than 16's. Wanting to say 33% in low and 7% in high.

·
Registered
156 Posts
2016 turbo has the same gears in the transmission as the 2016 highlifter 1000. Which is 12% lower then the standard 1000. Most 4 seat 1000's have the lower gearing also. # on the transmission will let you figure out what gears it came with. I believe all 2 seat turbos are the same. I haven't looked at the 4 seater yet.

·
Registered
156 Posts
So the 2017 turbo doesn't have the lower gearing like the 16 turbo. At least in the main gear set that is most often swapped out . The 2 seat 1000 and the 17 turbo both have a 29t/44t combo. The 2016 turbo and 2 seat 1000 highlifter have a 27t/46t combo. You can swap in a 25t/48t combo from the small ace if wanted. Txjole may be close on figures for the 17. It has some other gear differences besides the main set.

·
Registered
949 Posts
Polaris has lost their mind...the ratio's changed for the '17 two seat. '18 two seat is just like '17. '17 4 seat is same ratio as '16 turbo (good).'18 4 seat has changed, has same High as '16-'17 but low is the same as two seat, (not the good Low range like '16)

·
Registered
256 Posts
The 16 xpt 2 seater like others have said has the good low gear setup. It's perfect for the technical crawling stuff. Just need a dynojet to raise the max speed in low. It took some getting use too as you will change gears more then a normal xp1k from high to low but that low when needed is awesome.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So I am understanding that the 2018 turbo and the 2014 XP1000 I have now will be the same gearing correct? I can live with that.....just probably can't have it any higher without wasting a bunch of belts in the rocks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
949 Posts
So I am understanding that the 2018 turbo and the 2014 XP1000 I have now will be the same gearing correct? I can live with that.....just probably can't have it any higher without wasting a bunch of belts in the rocks
No sir. It has the same ratio as '16 and newer XP1K, which is 21% higher than your '14
It sounds good when you say it quietly, but believe me you won't like it when you put it to crawling. Crawling is what I do, you can smoke belts without effort with '16 and newer XP1K ratio

·
Registered
835 Posts
I have been doing gear reductions on 2017 Turbos because of burning belts and even grooving clutch sheaves within less than 500 miles of technical trail riding. With the ACE 325 gears I install, one customer runs 33" BF Goodrich tires on a 2017 Turbo with satisfactory results. If the 2018 Turbo is the same or even higher than the 2017, you will definitely want gear reduction of some kind.

·
Registered
949 Posts
Well I thought I understood this thread until the last post. Can someone clear up what gearing is in the 18' xpt? What year and model it is like? Did it change in 18' ?
The XPT (2seat) gear ratio changed with the 2017 model. Low range, (33% higher), is more or less the same as 2016 and newer XP1K which is terrible for crawling. You won't be happy, your clutch won't be happy, your belts may not live long enough to be unhappy. With that being said, the turbo clutch is better than XP1K, and its my understanding the starting ratio is lower than XP1K (larger diameter secondary). So, as long as you don't put the machine in a bind and maintain some momentum you may be OK. I know that the kind of crawling that I like to do, that's nearly impossible. Let me know if I can help, Carl

·
Registered
835 Posts
Hey does anyone know how much a gear reduction will cost?

The gears and bearings needed are only about $250.00. If you do it yourself, that’s about it other than the new fluid and whatever model clutch alignment tool your machine takes. You are looking at about $300 - $350 to do it yourself.

I do Turbo models (2 days) for $850 and non Turbo models (One day) for $750. Those prices include all parts and labor.

Reactions: BeltFed

·
Registered
949 Posts
This is all confusing. What about a 2017 1000 XP4? Transmission part number #1333695
Polaris messed up the Low range gear ratio's on XP1K4 in 2016, they've stayed with that ratio in all XP4's since. I have several options available,
#1: 33% Low reduction, Rev and High unchanged
#2: 47% Low reduction, Rev 14% reduced, High unchanged
#3: 33% Low reduction, Rev unchanged, High 14% higher
#4: 47% Low reduction, Rev and High 14% reduced

You can also do a reverse shaft change but it will lower all three ranges 14%, really not enough reduction in Low range. Its the cheapest route but if you still like a little go fast occasionally it may not be for you. If any of these kits interest you PM me and I will send you a price.
Thanks, Carl

·
Registered
70 Posts
I will likely be interested in the low gear reduction. I have never Owned a razor. The low gear is that a gear by itself? What do you mean by no change to the rev or high. Are these 2 other gears?

I'll be picking up my 18' xpt dyn on Friday afternoon.

·
Registered
949 Posts
I will likely be interested in the low gear reduction. I have never Owned a razor. The low gear is that a gear by itself? What do you mean by no change to the rev or high. Are these 2 other gears?

I'll be picking up my 18' xpt dyn on Friday afternoon.
Yes sir, Low gear is a gear as is High gear. I usually speak of ranges, as in Low range, High range, and Reverse. Any of the three "ranges" are a combination of gears and shafts that add up to a particular ratio. Low range worked good in the '16 models for crawling. Polaris, in their infinite wisdom, decided to take a great working machine and increase the Low range ratio by 33% thereby ruining its ability to crawl well.

·
Registered
949 Posts
Most of the people in the discussion on this and similar threads like to rock crawl and do slow technical, (I'm talking about speeds that won't register on your speedo),riding in Low range. If you fit in this category then you will most likely need a gear reduction. If you mostly do medium to faster riding then your new machine is fine like it is. Get it, ride it for awhile and determine how you like to ride mostly. If you get into crawling like a lot of us nuts have then we can talk gear reduction.

1 - 20 of 84 Posts