Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well i got my 2013 RZR S 800 3 days ago and as i put it into gear at the dealer it grinds. I kinda though to myself oops i must not have had the brake pushed in all the way. So i get it home and start to drive it around and im noticing almost every time i shift it into reverse or any other gear it grinds bad!!

I call the dealer and he said it will do that when there new, give it time to break in and it will stop. Is this true?? He also said shift it hard not slow. Anybody else have this problem? Im not a rocket scientist but when you have a brand new machine its not suppose to be munching metal like that.

Should i take it in and pimp slap the dealer???

·
Registered
15,386 Posts
gears grinding means that the CVT is not disengaging at idle.
this can happen with a brand new belt and get better after break in,, but I would say it shouldn't happen on a new stock machine.
perhaps the clutch is out of alignment or the primary bearing isn't working properly.
take a look at the belt change videos (link in my signature) and you will see how the CVT works.

·
Registered
813 Posts
Never happened to mine at all.Does not sound good.I would take it back to dealer asap and if it happens again after the dealer tell them you want another new unit......PERIOD!

·
Registered
71 Posts
This is not normal. I purchased my ride in August and the gears started grinding within the first 5 hours. I called the dealer I bought it from and they gave me the same BS you got about its normal and i must be shifting it wrong. Well its not normal and its not you. I took mine to a different dealer and they gave me the same BS while the mechanic was shifting the gears in my ride (still on the trailer) and they were grinding away. So I told him to show me how another model shifts. He got into a 800 4 seater with 150 hrs on it and it shifted smooth as can be!!! I told him to make my new ride shift like the older one. 2 weeks later and a new primary clutch im good to go. They said my clutch was machined wrong from the factory.

·
Registered
370 Posts
I bought my 2012 S brand new and it would grind. After probably 200 miles it stopped. Some of the things i did were to always come to a full stop and pause to monitor the RPMs to make sure it was fully at idle before shifting, ensure i was getting it into gear fully and quickly. If I pulled it into gear slow the chance of grinding was greater. Now i have just over 400 miles and no grinding at all. Good luck with the dealer!

·
Registered
55 Posts
Mine does the same thing if you're not at an ABSOLUTE 100% complete stop. If it's moving one tiny bit, it'll grind everytime.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I always come to a complete stop before shifting. My idle is at 1250. I just dont wanna have to buy a new trans at 30 miles.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Mine did it for the first few hours. It's improved significantly the more I've driven it. My dealer told me it was normal also. I wouldn't worry about it.

·
Registered
331 Posts
My S did the same thing when new, took it back to the dealer and turned out the clutch was out of alignment. Fixed it quickly and easily. Dealer told me that it will grind if rpm's haven't fallen to idle, or if vehicle is moving or on a steep grade and placed into park. Other than that it should not grind. My dealer recognized the problem and fixed it, was easy to work with. Hope yours is the same...

·
Registered
2 Posts
i also have grinding going into gear,with the belt cover off if both clutches are spinning it grinds. but if i shut it off & put it in gear & start it no grind.brand new belt also in low range will pop out of gear on decell & grind away i think i have two problems i will adjust shifter & see if that helps

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have over 5000 miles on my 2013 xp900 Ranger and no matter how I shift it half the time when I go into reverse it just sits there and strips the gears. Now it even started doing it when going to low range forward. Yes I have a "feel" for the gears. You still never know when its going to happen. Often after shifting to reverse and backing up a few feet it will make a loud bang and pop out of reverse!

·
Registered
82 Posts
I had the same issue with my new 800s. when I called about it, the dealer said to make sure my idle was at proper spec. and that the belt needs to break in. It was very annoying for the handful of rides, but I usually tried shifted it into gear before I started the machine to cut down on trans grinding. After a few rides it shifts awesome with no grinding

·
Registered
812 Posts
Remember it is not a car with a tranny. You MUST stop all the way before shifting.

You will probably hear a clunk when taking off.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts