Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

21 - 40 of 70 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,457 Posts
The link below will take you to a download of a Tutorial I wrote a few years ago on how to get Mapsource and Basecamp (they don't come with Nuvi's) and how to load maps onto any Garmin GPSr.
When you install mine or Dan's map you do it by clicking on an Install file. This installs the map onto you PC, you view it with one of the programs mentioned above and you use those programs to install the map onto your Nuvi.

The reason you lose my map when you load Dan's is because the "gmapsupp.img" file gets written over. You have to install all maps at once, you have to install Dan's and mine at the same time.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/c7y8798yqiwl3v9/How_to_Get_Garmin_Software_and_Install_Maps_102813.pdf

The problem I'm having with that is Dans map isn't installed using basecamp or map source so I can't upload them at the same time. His is a zip file and he gives instructions to extract that file to j:\garmin . I guess i could install his map onto a SD card and hours on the actual garmin. That map for north Cumberland on GPS file depot is extreme accurate and I've used it before. I paid $50 for dans map so I'd like to try to use it.

·
Registered
187 Posts
That's sound good. I don't guess either of you are able to add anything to the map, like poi and landmarks because you are using a nuvi. Downalap would you happen to know the model number of the 7 inch nuvi.
I was mistaken about screen size. Mine is the nuvi 2555LMT with 5 inch screen.

·
Registered
4,703 Posts
Totally GPS based, not cell.

·
Registered
151 Posts
nice. thanks for the info. i have a nuvi sitting around collecting dust. this is awesome!

·
Premium Member
1,009 Posts
I use a Garmin Nuvi 550 and a GPSMap62 handheld. I use the handheld to save tracks for others to use. I use the Nuvi to navigate as the screen is larger. The wife just purchased me a new Nuvi 65 for the car/truck and I am tempted to use it in the RZR also it is huge compared to the others. I really like the Garmin interface, but I have only used Garmin GPS. I upload maps to the 62 SSD card and then copy the card for the other GPS.

Steve

·
Registered
725 Posts
For those who want to use my map in WV and Dan's in TN I placed a download link at the bottom of this post. This will download the gmapsupp.img for my map and a WV Topo map. You can select them individually or together.
The downloaded file is named gmapsuppWV.img. This way you can use your PC to copy it to your Nuvi and not overwrite the gmapsupp.img that is on your Nuvi. To go from Dan's map to mine plug your Nuvi into your PC and rename his file to gmapsuppTN.img and then rename mine gmapsupp.img. This way you can go back and forth fairly easy.
Since Dan does not give you the PC version of his map (I don't think) you cannot combine his with mine in Mapsource and install them both onto your Nuvi. There are ways to merge img files but since his are locked everyone would have to do it.

gmapsuppWV.img download
http://www.mediafire.com/download/h3wri2qjmwz389d/gmapsuppWV.img

·
Registered
26 Posts
I live in Alaska do any of you know if they make topo maps that will work in the Nuvi for up here? Like the one that goes with my etrex?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
594 Posts
I've been using a Nuvi with Bobt's maps...thanks Bob...the nuvi works well but after a couple rides the plastic screen is scratched from dirty fingers and gloves. Switching to a tablet next ride, the glass should hold up better against scratching, as soon as I figure out how to make it work!

·
Premium Member
1,457 Posts
I've been using a Nuvi with Bobt's maps...thanks Bob...the nuvi works well but after a couple rides the plastic screen is scratched from dirty fingers and gloves. Switching to a tablet next ride, the glass should hold up better against scratching, as soon as I figure out how to make it work!

Where did you mount your GPS? Mine is up under the roof and hasn't had any scratches

·
Premium Member
594 Posts

Where did you mount your GPS? Mine is up under the roof and hasn't had any scratches
just above and behind the steering wheel, but the scratches are coming from dirty fingers and gloves. Worse from the middle outward. Not a big deal but adds up over time. It will be a backup from now on.

·
Registered
725 Posts
Whether a GPS or Tablet I always use a screen saver.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Just curious on a couple things before I purchase a NUVI and Dan's map for Windrock.

What mounts are people using? RAM mount looks nice, but doesn't look like it can really be waterproofed. Not really finding any waterproof cases either.

Doesn't sound like I can tell the Nuvi to take me to a specific trail, which is ok. But, when I'm trying to get to a specific trail what are you doing? Just going off the paper map and Nuvi in combination? That's fine, just looking for the most efficient way. It would be nice to see trail numbers at intersections to help me get from the south side of park to the north side, but doesn't sound like this is possible? There can be quit a few intersections heading south to north end of park.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Just curious on a couple things before I purchase a NUVI and Dan's map for Windrock.

What mounts are people using? RAM mount looks nice, but doesn't look like it can really be waterproofed. Not really finding any waterproof cases either.

Doesn't sound like I can tell the Nuvi to take me to a specific trail, which is ok. But, when I'm trying to get to a specific trail what are you doing? Just going off the paper map and Nuvi in combination? That's fine, just looking for the most efficient way. It would be nice to see trail numbers at intersections to help me get from the south side of park to the north side, but doesn't sound like this is possible? There can be quit a few intersections heading south to north end of park.
I have Dans maps and it does have point of interest on it so you can go to them real easy. What I do is when you buy his maps he will give you a google earth file with all the trails on it(witch is real cool almost worth the price buy its self) then before the ride just map out your cores and print that out then your good to go.

I bought this to mount my nuvi. It is a little small to fit around the roll cage but I got a hose clamp and ran around you really can't see the clamp it holds really good and a good price. Motorcycle Bike Handlebar Mount for Garmin Nuvi 2455 LMT 2360 LMT 2360LT 2370 Lt | eBay

·
Registered
229 Posts

With Dan's maps and most garmin maps you see the trail numbers on all the trails. its usually easy to see at an intersection each trail number. Where paper is handy is trying to see all the trails at once, on a 5" screen as you zoom out its hard clearly see all the trails. You can still accomplish what you want without paper by staying zoomed in and scrolling around, its just not as quick as paper. Where the garmin shines is 1) when you get to an intersection and the physical trail markers are missing. 2) Giving you an idea of how far you have left on a trail, how far away that next sight seeing spot is, or how far away the truck is.

21 - 40 of 70 Posts