Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new to the GPS game. I like the size and the price of the nuvi compared to the hand held models. But i have been told that the nuviwill not work properly in the mountains with Dans North Cumberland trail maps installed. I see people no here with them installed on there :redrzr: an love them. Is there a certain model that I need to look for or does it matter. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
187 Posts
The nuvi I bought at sams club worked at hatfield mccoy trails with Bob T.'s maps loaded on it. Knew exactly where I was at all times. Also worked great at Prentice cooper and windrock. I got the one with the 5" screen. nuvi2555lmt

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That's sound good. I don't guess either of you are able to add anything to the map, like poi and landmarks because you are using a nuvi. Downalap would you happen to know the model number of the 7 inch nuvi.

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
That's sound good. I don't guess either of you are able to add anything to the map, like poi and landmarks because you are using a nuvi. Downalap would you happen to know the model number of the 7 inch nuvi.
Garmin Base Camp allows to work on maps then upload. Might look at it.

·
Premium Member
1,444 Posts
You can't edit dans map. You don't even upload it through base camp or map source. U basically copy the image file to your GPS.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Below are some tips on using a NUVI Offroad.

You can use Mapsource or Basecamp (free from Garmin) to install maps on your Nuvi or do as Buckeye said and copy the large image file (.img) Older Nuvi's and maybe newer ones can only have one image file and it is called gmapsupp.img. Using Mapsource or Basecamp will compile all maps into this file. If you are installing Dan's map, my map and a topo you have to install all at once since they will all get compiled into gmapsupp.img. I have not messed with a newer Nuvi so this may have changed, others can chime in. You cannot put tracks onto a Nuvi since it has no Track Manager to select them. Nuvi's will track your ride and you can get them off of it.
How to view maps on a Nuvi
To view the maps on a Nuvi you need to go into “Tools – Settings – Map – Info” and select the maps you want to show. This may very slightly by Nuvi. My ATV Maps are transparent which means you can have them on with other maps and they will show on top of the other map.

Other tips: (the location of these may vary by Nuvi model)
Change Map View to “Track Up” (this works best when you come to an intersection) or “North Up”, .
Change Trip Log to “Show”, this will leave bread crumbs on the screen showing where you have been.
Change Route Preference to “Off Road”, this prevents the cursor from jumping/showing on the closest road.

How to get tracks you rode off of a Nuvi
Nuvi’s do track and save the tracks. You need to plug the Nuvi into your PC with a USB cable in order to get them off. A bunch of windows will pop up as if you plugged a memory stick in, which is basically what you did. You can either use one of the windows or close them all and use Windows explore to find your Nuvi. It will probably be called “Garmin”, if you have a memory card inside your Nuvi it will show up also. Find the directory called “GPX”, that is where you will find some files with the .gpx extension. These are the tracks that the Nuvi recorded. Just copy them onto your computer and you can open them in Mapsource or Basecamp to view them.
The above method is what I use since I like to delete the old tracks off of my Nuvi. You can also use Mapsource or Basecamp and download the tracks, click on the “Receive from Device” icon.

·
Registered
3,439 Posts
Dont mean to hijack, but is anyone using a nuvi 55lm, like what you can get at walmart, with dan's maps?

·
Registered
3,439 Posts

You can use Mapsource or Basecamp (free from Garmin) to install maps on your Nuvi or do as Buckeye said and copy the large image file (.img) Older Nuvi's and maybe newer ones can only have one image file and it is called gmapsupp.img. Using Mapsource or Basecamp will compile all maps into this file. If you are installing Dan's map, my map and a topo you have to install all at once since they will all get compiled into gmapsupp.img. I have not messed with a newer Nuvi so this may have changed, others can chime in. You cannot put tracks onto a Nuvi since it has no Track Manager to select them. Nuvi's will track your ride and you can get them off of it.
To view the maps on a Nuvi you need to go into “Tools – Settings – Map – Info” and select the maps you want to show. This may very slightly by Nuvi. My ATV Maps are transparent which means you can have them on with other maps and they will show on top of the other map.

Change Map View to “Track Up” (this works best when you come to an intersection) or “North Up”, .
Change Trip Log to “Show”, this will leave bread crumbs on the screen showing where you have been.
Change Route Preference to “Off Road”, this prevents the cursor from jumping/showing on the closest road.

Nuvi’s do track and save the tracks. You need to plug the Nuvi into your PC with a USB cable in order to get them off. A bunch of windows will pop up as if you plugged a memory stick in, which is basically what you did. You can either use one of the windows or close them all and use Windows explore to find your Nuvi. It will probably be called “Garmin”, if you have a memory card inside your Nuvi it will show up also. Find the directory called “GPX”, that is where you will find some files with the .gpx extension. These are the tracks that the Nuvi recorded. Just copy them onto your computer and you can open them in Mapsource or Basecamp to view them.
The above method is what I use since I like to delete the old tracks off of my Nuvi. You can also use Mapsource or Basecamp and download the tracks, click on the “Receive from Device” icon.
Very good info BobT! Do you have windrock, twra trails and brimstone mapped? And would your maps work with a nuvi 55lm?

·
Premium Member
1,444 Posts

Thank you for the "tracking up" tip. I always come to an intersection and get confused where to turn. Is there a way to get dans map onto basecamp or map source? I have tried and it won't open the file. Mainly just so I can look at the tracks on a larger screen. Seems when I upload dans map I loose your maps tracks but keep all the way points. Maybe I need to add a memory card?

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
I have used a nuvi in the past in west va and they worked fine. That being said I went the tablet route and I think I will like it a lot better

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So it sounds like the nuvi will work. From what I have heard Dans map would have everything I need in the area I live. I was also going to use a nuvi 55, but I didn't won't to buy the ram mount and the maps if it wasn't going to work very well. I have wondered about a tablet but I didn't know how they would work. I have used my phone but it don't work very well if you won't to see the map. It seems to record the route even though I wasn't able to view the map.

·
Registered
691 Posts
The link below will take you to a download of a Tutorial I wrote a few years ago on how to get Mapsource and Basecamp (they don't come with Nuvi's) and how to load maps onto any Garmin GPSr.
When you install mine or Dan's map you do it by clicking on an Install file. This installs the map onto you PC, you view it with one of the programs mentioned above and you use those programs to install the map onto your Nuvi.

The reason you lose my map when you load Dan's is because the "gmapsupp.img" file gets written over. You have to install all maps at once, you have to install Dan's and mine at the same time.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/c7y8798yqiwl3v9/How_to_Get_Garmin_Software_and_Install_Maps_102813.pdf

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Bob T this is some good information on the nuvi. Does the map you have the link to have the Tackett Creek or the capuchin area on it.

·
Premium Member
4,387 Posts
I've been all over the Taylor Park area and visited Lake City this summer and so far all of the roads, trails and dead ends have been on my Nuvi and believe me I got the cheapo. It's almost impossible to use it to plan a route but it will always get me back to camp. I'm still working at setting waypoints for the rides up there so I'm probably gonna have to keep going up there till I'm done. :rofl3:

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Bob T I think I will try the map you have given me the link to first. And see what that gets me. Thanks a lot.

1 - 20 of 70 Posts