Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Premium Member
487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife and I are thinking about getting a Montana 600 or 650t gps.

Can anyone give us opinions on these two? It looks like with the price of the gps, you have to pay another $200 to download the trails for the West Virginia region? And also pay more for a bigger sd card?

· Registered
185 Posts
I have the Montana 600 and love it. I use it on the RZR, in my truck and motorcycle, and also take along hiking. It is a little big for hiking but I just pop it in my pack and it's there if I need it. It has a nice big and bright screen even in sunlight. It has a ton of features that I haven't used all of them yet. But they are there if I need them.

As far as downloading maps I use the topo maps from GPSFileDepot - Free Custom Garmin Maps, Ximage hosting, tutorials, articles and more for your GPSr They are free and in my opinion just as good as the garmin maps, and did I mention FREE! Check them out before you donate more money to garmin. You have nothing to lose by trying them 1st.

· Registered
274 Posts
I agree with "jstrenn". Get the 600 and them go to Gpsfiledepot.com and get the maps that you need. Maps are free but I always donate to places like that so they will continue to be around. I have the 650t and wish that I had not paid the extra $ for the "t". I do not use the camera very often and I get my maps from gpsfiledepot. If I were to do it over, I would get the 600 and the garmin 24K Topo map. Then you can add to it from gpsfiledepot to get all of the trails.

I got the garmin rugged mount and modified it to mount on the steering column. It is hardwired to the key switch so it is always charging if I am riding. It works great and is always in sight and in reach. The Montana works great with gloves as well. Below is a shot of how I mounted mine.

· Registered
65 Posts
My honest answer would be neither. My riding buddy and I just went through this debate, looking at all the options, and I really can't see how Garmin can justify the price they charge. Eventually, I went with an Android tablet with a waterproof case and a RAM mount behind the steering column. Now I have a 7inch screen, can use pretty much any maps I want, and all in, with case, Nexus7 tablet, RAM mounts and software is only about 400 bucks. A lot of GPS for the money. I can post a pic if anyone is interested.

I suppose that would probably be too big a screen if you plan to also use for hiking or snowmobiling or whatever, but IMO it's the perfect size for a RZR.

· Registered
1,691 Posts
My honest answer would be neither. My riding buddy and I just went through this debate, looking at all the options, and I really can't see how Garmin can justify the price they charge. Eventually, I went with an Android tablet with a waterproof case and a RAM mount behind the steering column. Now I have a 7inch screen, can use pretty much any maps I want, and all in, with case, Nexus7 tablet, RAM mounts and software is only about 400 bucks. A lot of GPS for the money. I can post a pic if anyone is interested.

I suppose that would probably be too big a screen if you plan to also use for hiking or snowmobiling or whatever, but IMO it's the perfect size for a RZR.
So are you relying on access to a cell network, or are all the maps native on the Nexus 7? I am interested in learning more about this.

· Registered
65 Posts
So are you relying on access to a cell network, or are all the maps native on the Nexus 7? I am interested in learning more about this.
Well I don't want to hijack the thread, so I will post another thread with pics. but to answer your question, no I am not using cellular at all. I pre-download all the maps, satellite imagery, trail markings, etc that I want and store them right on the device. I use a program called OruxMaps, which is free, and it stores the maps for me.

· Registered
423 Posts
My wife and I are thinking about getting a Montana 600 or 650t gps.

Can anyone give us opinions on these two? It looks like with the price of the gps, you have to pay another $200 to download the trails for the West Virginia region? And also pay more for a bigger sd card?

I had the 650T for a little while and it was awesome when I had it. I just stuck an old memory card that I had in it. I used the picture thing to mark specific trail entry points or obsticals so if a buddy said hey we are at the " rock gardens" I could find them based upon my last time out there. I'm thinking of getting another one since I am directionally challenged on the trails even on the trails I ride almost every month and have done so for the past 10 years :rofl3: You also can download trails that other people have mapped out and a lot of that is free. Great GPS IMO and very easy to see and setup change settings after messing around with it for a little while.

· Registered
5,994 Posts
We use a Garmin NUVI 205w with Garmin topo maps. Transferred the maps from the DVD to memory cards. One for northwest and the other for southwest. Just swap the cards for what part of the country we are in. If I forget till I get there, simple to just swap cards. Plus: one can pickup NUVI's very cheap at certain times of the year. Not water proof but a plastic sandwich bag takes care of the wet weather. Add the screen protection to keep it from getting scratched from dust. One can buy many NUVI's for the price of one Montana. If it gets damaged, stolen or otherwise destroyed it is cheap to replace. Have been using the same one for 4 years and it still works great.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.