Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

Aspiring Perfectionist
Discussion Starter #1
(Sorry..turned into a long story...but I hope you guys will read through it!)

For a good while now, I have been in the process of planning next winter's project for my RZR ( 2018 XPT4 - Bailey ) (Yes, I plan that far ahead sometimes), as with everything I plan, and I think the same is true for many of us, it has been growing as I think of things almost daily, and has at this point mostly lost any control whatsoever, and as a result, this thread, and idea was born.

A semi-shortened version of the story:
It started as a mostly "cosmetic" update, 19+ fascia, new doors, complete machine color scheme change, ( This may surprise some people.... I dislike red quite a lot...but I wanted the Fox edition, so Polaris chose the color for me ) and new seats. That's still a large amount of work and parts, but the summation is somewhat simple. But, then, as I looked at my RZR to visualize the work, browsed the forum, saw this and that on Facebook, talked to people, etc etc...more and more things kept getting added to the list, some little, like rebuilding my Walker Links, to some big, Like complete new long travel suspension...and a whole bunch of things in between.....So as that list grew, the thought came into my mind that maybe I should just start from scratch with a Turbo S Velocity, but then I think of everything I've already done to mine, that I would just have to do all over to a Turbo S, because I'm very happy with a lot of the things I've done, and would want them again, and then I go back to just keeping working on and improving Bailey...and back and forth, repeat, etc. Well, then I see all the little details, updates, and sheer attention to detail that @RZR_Joe, @SNWMBL , @Max H, and many others are doing, and I think, "Man, those guys are right, this needs re-enforced, that needs more protection, that design could really use some improvement, there's an easy way to make that better, I shoulda taken more time and done that better on mine" and many other thoughts that inspire me to actually not be rushed and build something how I truly want it to be built ( see "Aspiring Perfectionist" ). Time is my biggest opponent in that, because of course, it's not infinite, and I want to actually get to ride and enjoy the work I'm putting in, so I shortcut some things for various reasons. I'm 100% happy about a couple things and the way I've done them on my machine, 90% happy with most, 50% happy with a some, and 10% happy with one or two...

So as I sit here tonight, I'm thinking of something (and I have thought of this on and off for a while, years even) that would take me a very long time to get together, but, might be a great option for the experience, allow me to continue to ride while I build, let me do everything exactly the way I want, address any and all issues found on the RZR chassis, and make any other changes to anything along the way. It would also be somewhat ridiculous, mostly unnecessary, and some will consider it a waste of time & money...and I'm not saying they wouldn't be party correct...but the mentality and desire for me would be enough to overcome that.

Some of you have probably figured it out by now....but my idea is to purely build a machine from scratch, and when i say scratch, I mean start with a pile of tubing and go to work. Build the entire chassis, all the way to a complete machine. There are ups and downs to this of course, some legalities that would be hard to work around for riding in some areas, and many, many things, that everyone would do differently in the same scenario. Now, of course, this isn't anything new, it's really something that's becoming very common, but to me, it's something I've wanted to do, in many different varieties of machine, for most of my life, and I think this might be the machine, and time, to try it...I could fail horribly, it could take me years, I may give up...i guarantee nothing. Yes, there are other machines I could buy/build for the same money, and some may be much easier, but that's not really fitting to the point behind me wanting to do it. I'm not settled on this yet, but I wanted to put it out there, and ask you guys, the people whom I discuss RZR's with the most, what you think about it all. I'm not saying I'm setting out to build everyone's idea of a perfect machine here, we all know that's impossible, and I do have a budget of course, although I haven't decided what it actually is yet, it can't be a "no expenses spared" build as much as I'd love to do that,... currently I'm thinking in the neighborhood of $40K...but I would have to buy every single part to assemble a machine of course, so there will have to be some "compromise", but that doesn't really take away from my satisfaction of doing the build. I'm also not saying it's going to be a completely custom, one off everything, buggy. I'm not going to build my own front end, I just don't have the facilities and tools to completely design my own suspension and steering geometry, I also want to be able to replace things with somewhat commonly available parts at least, and possibly leave the option to upgrade / change in those areas I have to compromise in, should I want / choose to in the future.

I have some broad specifics I'd want to follow:
1. It would be entirely based on the Turbo S platform, 4 seat. Although an in-between 2/4 length has crossed my mind... but that brings a few challenges with it
2. Suspension and major component mounting points and configurations would remain the same for interchangeability / availability reasons
3. The main scope would be based on my riding style, mostly geared toward rock crawling, but still needing to be a decent high speed desert machine as well
4. @SuperATV , Portals....are not out of the question...but they are not certain either 馃榿 ( I just wanted to let you know up front Erik! )
5. It doesn't necessarily have to use all the standard RZR body panels....but I would still like it to at least mostly resemble a RZR
6. One piece main cage, but removable upper structure like the stock configuration is possible

I have or have access to, and have at least decent skills with: several welding machines, tubing bender & notcher, CNC plasma and laser cutting (laser costs me a little bit, plasma does not), medium duty press break, sheet metal break, most general fabrication tools, and probably can get to a mill and lathe if absolutely necessary, I also love collecting tools....so I won't be heartbroken if I have to expand my collection lol.

So... what do you guys think? Dumb Idea? Go for it? What main issues would you address or changes would you make to the machine? I'll take any thoughts or input you want to contribute at this point.... it's still just a brainstorm as of tonight...but I'm liking it the more and more I think about it.

For those that haven't seen it, (and just so this isn't ENTIRELY text lol) here's a pic of my current machine: (Whole story is in the link in my signature if you'd like more detail)

Thanks for reading!

Registered
I would love to build a tube chassis RZR and thought about it, but after building a couple other tube chassis items I wouldn鈥檛 do it to my primary rig.

#1. It is really easy to get overwhelmed, burned out, and end up with a pile of unfinished parts.

#2. What you think will take 6 months will take 2 years. Go look at peoples build threads and see how many actually get done, and how many get done in the expected time frame.

If I ever built a RZR based tube chassis (which is doubtful), I would find a used frame for building the jig, and then build my tube chassis while I wheeled my primary rig. That way if you need to take a mental break and go for a ride or go camping you can.

Just my .02 from getting into some extensive projects. My project now seems overwhelming at times 馃槅

Premium Member
I second the "Send it"!
I don't know you personally but have followed your build and have conversed on many threads. Which I've enjoyed and appreciate the work you do to make this site what it is, thank you for that.
There's no way you'd fail or quit.
So... does your new bride like red? Happy birthday honey!!! Just a thought.
Something I've considered is starting with a lightly totaled machine. That would take care of registering issues and also probably be a cheaper way than buying all the parts individually.
Plus when you roll it off the rock pile you can tell the wife its just what this machine does... lol

Registered
Sounds like a plan and if you have access to the appropriate tools go for it. Obviously I know you'll set realistic goals, budget, and timeframe. Keeping the suspension & drivetrain somewhat OEM based would be key. Skinny Pedal Fab makes a base tube frame kit available with a jig. Starting from a known point would jump start the process easier. Design, improve, but don't reinvent the wheel.

Registered
El grande cojones!!

Mad respect to those with the skills. Not for me though. Not sure I鈥檇 build to UTV drivetrain either.

Cool idea regardless. Best of luck!!

xc racer
My race rig is sort of what you are talking about. Mine started with an entire rig and I very much recommend doing that. The basic frame was kept (the bottom piece) and all suspension and shock mounting was custom on the front and reworked on the rear. Of course the cage is all part of the chassis now. Mine is based off an OG mav turbo so I moved the motor 7" to the passenger side and dropped the driver seat down 11". All the layout was done with scales so it is well corner balanced. If I wanted to build a custom crawler the turbo s would be a great start and I would do a LCG build with a medium length chassis, front fuel tank, etc.

You got this. You definitely have the skills, patience, and creativity to make it happen. @RZR_Joe makes a good point about sticking with an OEM base. You wouldn't have to start from complete scratch, and you'll have options for replacement parts if you get in a pinch. I wanna see a full-on Southern Rock Racing Series style bouncer! Bouncin' Bailey!

Can't 'Member.
It is a neat plan. Ambitious, but not something a guy like you can't accomplish.
I've built a couple of "from a pile of tubing" up rides, back when. It is a lot of fun, but it is consuming. I tend to dive in and find myself not doing much else. I lay in bed at night and think about the next move, or how to make A and B come together.
It sorta makes me not a lot of fun to be around, according to my wife. And my sons, who like to help but were not as OCD as I am when they were living at home.
Ya wanna watch out for that.

Standard Vendor
Had the same goal.... Wanted my RZR to be more inline with the desert/dune full tube chassis's I have had in the past, lower CG, more fuel capacity, longer WB. Kept all stock mounting points for suspension and drive train. Stretched the 2 seat platform 13" which allowed the seats to be lowered over 8" and made room for a 14 gallon fuel cell behind the seats. By simply re-routing them we were able to use the stock wiring harness and brake lines, and only had to extend the front drive shaft. Long process, but love the way it handles. Raced it at KOH in 2018 and took on the DP4 series last year winning the class championship. Probably done with that, so now I have a hard core trail machine, lol. Before and after.... still making small changes.

Registered
I say giver..... but double the cost and time frame trust me lol every thing adds up really fast if your using good quality race parts. I started building a class 3000 style car a while back with subaru twin turbo motor and of course it got way over built so lets chuck a V8 in it and go class 1000/1500 but the drive train is not up to task with the extra weight so lets cut some more stuff off and Ultra 4 it up with some Dana 60/80 .... that's where I'm at now, so now I've got parts to build 2 race cars and prob 60K usd + deep so far. They take a long time to build especially if you want to build it from scratch with quality parts .... it took long enough that I grabbed to RZR to have fun with while the big trucks where being built. Things got busy and they went on the back burner for a year or so .... but I'm back on it and getting the axles for it soon (yay another 10-15K) prob will be another year before its finished but I like building them as much as driving them so it works out ok.

You gotta ask yourself is it worth it to sink major cash into to a RZR chassis with 2 banger power / drive train or build a beefy DOM / 4130 chassis from scratch with a motor and drivetrain that will support power and 40"+ crawler tires if your spending big cash on it you have to make sure the end result is worth the high cost.

Either way only you will know if its worth it and if its some thing you really want..... if you do, build it from scratch just the way you want with out compromise from the ground up.

Premium Member
Now that's the way to start a thread ...Forum Gold!

I hear what you're saying and I have given it some time to let it sink in before responding . This will probably come across as negative but I am not trying to be.
What are the real gains.. It would be stronger of course and unique , but besides that I am having a hard time seeing any real benefits vs gusseting and strengthening the original frame in certain areas.
Weight savings ... it would have to be at least 200 pounds lighter than stock to be a real benefit HP / weight ratio...I don't see that happening. I would think it would actually be heavier?
I would guess the lightest weight option with still plenty of strength would be a reinforced factory frame... Maybe I am wrong. If you could lose 150 or 200 pounds off the weight of the factory frame and have all the added strength ,then I would have a different opinion. I have always tried to keep my car light for this reason

Strength ...Is the stock frame really that bad especially if it was gusseted . How many people are bending their frames under hard recreational use?
I would think the gusseting and reinforcing like Joe and SNW have done in critical areas would be more than enough. Assuming you are not racing KOH

Resale value ...Probably not good.... you would have to find just the right buyer. And you would be way over capitalized in the whole thing. I am not sure how an insurance company would value it or what it would cost ?

What happens when Polaris or another MFG (Speed SXS) releases the next greatest UTV with a better power plant , transmission , suspension options , HP ....etc.
I would feel like I was stuck. Pol has to have something big coming down the line soon
(Can Ham slicer )

I would love to see it done especially by you ,but I don't think there are enough benefits. IMO
My vote wait ...for a while to see what Polaris does next or buy the Turbo S and swap all the parts you can and start over. That's one of the best points of the Xp and XPT , so many parts swap over between models.

It's sad that Pol didn't offer a 72 inch wide 2 seat XP Pro , it already has the longer 96" wheelbase, tighter turning radius and one piece frame.
You would just need to make new body panels to de Fugly it....HA

Aspiring Perfectionist
Discussion Starter #13
All solid points and thoughts guys, thanks for taking the time to read that novel...it would definitely turn into a pretty good build thread lol. I'm responding to many of you below on some particular points, and by no mean am I meaning any negativity if anything sounds that way, just pure discussion at this point. I've been around and have worked on / modified / updated my share of tube chassis race cars in numerous forms of motorsports for over half my life now, so I know I'm not breaking any new ground, and I do know what I'm in for, but building myself something from scratch has always been on the "bucket list", and that's kinda where this ended up....it wouldn't be some breakthrough in the UTV world, and I wouldn't intend it to be, but the experience and satisfaction may just be enough to fend off and of the "downsides" or somewhat redundant nature of the project.

I would love to build a tube chassis RZR and thought about it, but after building a couple other tube chassis items I wouldn鈥檛 do it to my primary rig.

#1. It is really easy to get overwhelmed, burned out, and end up with a pile of unfinished parts.

#2. What you think will take 6 months will take 2 years. Go look at peoples build threads and see how many actually get done, and how many get done in the expected time frame.

If I ever built a RZR based tube chassis (which is doubtful), I would find a used frame for building the jig, and then build my tube chassis while I wheeled my primary rig. That way if you need to take a mental break and go for a ride or go camping you can.

Just my .02 from getting into some extensive projects. My project now seems overwhelming at times 馃槅
I would keep my current rig as is until completion, and probably after for quite a while... so I'd always have a machine ready to ride, and I know it would take me a great amount of time. I thought about finding a donor/template frame or even complete machine off a used parts or auction site, I would still need many OEM parts of course, and having a bare template would be extremely useful in almost every aspect. I'm going to start keeping my out for something that fits the bill and see what manifests out of it. I also have experience with getting overwhelmed on projects...but I think at this point in my life, and with not trying to rush anything to get done, and still having a machine to ride...I could truly treat this build as a leisure activity and remain interested, but at the same time, not making it become top priority. Your rebuild thread was the icing on the cake to this whole idea... every time I see that bare chassis of yours, I want to be able to do all those little things, and think / design / build everything else along the way.

I second the "Send it"!
I don't know you personally but have followed your build and have conversed on many threads. Which I've enjoyed and appreciate the work you do to make this site what it is, thank you for that.
There's no way you'd fail or quit.
So... does your new bride like red? Happy birthday honey!!! Just a thought.
Something I've considered is starting with a lightly totaled machine. That would take care of registering issues and also probably be a cheaper way than buying all the parts individually.
Plus when you roll it off the rock pile you can tell the wife its just what this machine does... lol
I had thought about going the totaled route too...haven't ruled it out either... and my wife doesn't want my ol' busted junk :ROFLMAO:, and my dislike for red has still never made me regret the decision, so she'll eventually start with her own new shiny machine, and she'll want all the bells and whistles they keep adding on too. We had talked about getting her own machine over the winter, but decided to wait for other "little" things first ;).

Sounds like a plan and if you have access to the appropriate tools go for it. Obviously I know you'll set realistic goals, budget, and timeframe. Keeping the suspension & drivetrain somewhat OEM based would be key. Skinny Pedal Fab makes a base tube frame kit available with a jig. Starting from a known point would jump start the process easier. Design, improve, but don't reinvent the wheel.
I'll have to look into Skinny Pedal...that might be a great way to go about it as well, thanks for the input. The suspension and drive train are definitely something that has to stay common, for a lot of reasons, so that will be at the top of the list

El grande cojones!!

Mad respect to those with the skills. Not for me though. Not sure I鈥檇 build to UTV drivetrain either.

Cool idea regardless. Best of luck!!
If i stray away from a UTV drivetrain....it will get out of hand, and out of budget remarkably fast, and I enjoy the UTV platform and the amount of common aftermarket support for it.

My race rig is sort of what you are talking about. Mine started with an entire rig and I very much recommend doing that. The basic frame was kept (the bottom piece) and all suspension and shock mounting was custom on the front and reworked on the rear. Of course the cage is all part of the chassis now. Mine is based off an OG mav turbo so I moved the motor 7" to the passenger side and dropped the driver seat down 11". All the layout was done with scales so it is well corner balanced. If I wanted to build a custom crawler the turbo s would be a great start and I would do a LCG build with a medium length chassis, front fuel tank, etc.
LCG is definitely high on the list...monster truck UTV's aren't my thing...My initial thought was to be around 20-24" ground clearance, and have the CV / Suspension almost flat at ride height

You got this. You definitely have the skills, patience, and creativity to make it happen. @RZR_Joe makes a good point about sticking with an OEM base. You wouldn't have to start from complete scratch, and you'll have options for replacement parts if you get in a pinch. I wanna see a full-on Southern Rock Racing Series style bouncer! Bouncin' Bailey!
I gotta be able to keep supporting my favorite forum Vendor my man! You guys are making great leaps and building some killer stuff, I can only imagine my shopping cart for this build form you! ON that note.... I have some portal questions that I'll PM you with once i get my thought train somewhat together

It is a neat plan. Ambitious, but not something a guy like you can't accomplish.
I've built a couple of "from a pile of tubing" up rides, back when. It is a lot of fun, but it is consuming. I tend to dive in and find myself not doing much else. I lay in bed at night and think about the next move, or how to make A and B come together.
It sorta makes me not a lot of fun to be around, according to my wife. And my sons, who like to help but were not as OCD as I am when they were living at home.
Ya wanna watch out for that.
I have been known to go down that exact same path (case in point....I had a 3 hour drive today...that's a lot of brain design time!)..It's actually why my close friends and I got out of racing....it just wasn't "fun" anymore when it's literally all your thinkin about and it becomes more of a second & third job, it consumes many parts of your life. It will be a very specific point to not do that with this project should I give it the green light.

Had the same goal.... Wanted my RZR to be more inline with the desert/dune full tube chassis's I have had in the past, lower CG, more fuel capacity, longer WB. Kept all stock mounting points for suspension and drive train. Stretched the 2 seat platform 13" which allowed the seats to be lowered over 8" and made room for a 14 gallon fuel cell behind the seats. By simply re-routing them we were able to use the stock wiring harness and brake lines, and only had to extend the front drive shaft. Long process, but love the way it handles. Raced it at KOH in 2018 and took on the DP4 series last year winning the class championship. Probably done with that, so now I have a hard core trail machine, lol. Before and after.... still making small changes.
Your build is very similar to what my initial vision is... I think that 108-110" wheelbase is the sweet spot for a sxs to do everything with little downfall. It's far fetched....but a 108" RS-1-esque build has been in and out of my brain too...

I say giver..... but double the cost and time frame trust me lol every thing adds up really fast if your using good quality race parts. I started building a class 3000 style car a while back with subaru twin turbo motor and of course it got way over built so lets chuck a V8 in it and go class 1000/1500 but the drive train is not up to task with the extra weight so lets cut some more stuff off and Ultra 4 it up with some Dana 60/80 .... that's where I'm at now, so now I've got parts to build 2 race cars and prob 60K usd + deep so far. They take a long time to build especially if you want to build it from scratch with quality parts .... it took long enough that I grabbed to RZR to have fun with while the big trucks where being built. Things got busy and they went on the back burner for a year or so .... but I'm back on it and getting the axles for it soon (yay another 10-15K) prob will be another year before its finished but I like building them as much as driving them so it works out ok.

You gotta ask yourself is it worth it to sink major cash into to a RZR chassis with 2 banger power / drive train or build a beefy DOM / 4130 chassis from scratch with a motor and drivetrain that will support power and 40"+ crawler tires if your spending big cash on it you have to make sure the end result is worth the high cost.

Either way only you will know if its worth it and if its some thing you really want..... if you do, build it from scratch just the way you want with out compromise from the ground up.
The time frame won't be an issue for this one... I estimate a year, so even if it takes me two, that wouldn't burden me much. I don't think I'll have to double the budget tho, I can be thrifty with some thins that will still be up to spec for the build, and not everything has to be new out of a box, many of the little things could be taken from a donor, or picked up used elsewhere as they have somewhat of a lengthy lifespan. I've fooled around in the Ultra 4 game with Loren Healy as well, and I know that is not in the cards for me for quite some time, nor does it need to be, I'm enjoy my RZR more than I would enjoy a budget built buggy...becasue I look at it this way...I can build a UTV to be in the top tier of machines for around $40k, and have extreme capability and versatility (which is really why I love UTV's so much...it's such a good all around toy)....or I can build a "decent" Jimmy's buggy for $70-80k...but then I'd be back to square one, and always wanting better/bigger/stronger...and I'd want to pick up Loren's next offloaded race car...for $250k lol....so to me... it is worth sinking the cash into the RZR chassis, because with my mindset (which i always a double edged sword)...the next leap is minimally double the cost into a machine that I don't realistically think I'd have double the enjoyment with... sure, I could crawl the biggest baddest buggy obstacles around....but would I really ever get to do 130mph through the open desert and feel like I'm using the machine to it limits? realistically (and legally)..no, maybe a time or two a year if I'm lucky... the RZR chassis is the most efficient "toy" in $ to fun ratio for me at this point.

Now that's the way to start a thread ...Forum Gold!

I hear what you're saying and I have given it some time to let it sink in before responding . This will probably come across as negative but I am not trying to be.
What are the real gains.. It would be stronger of course and unique , but besides that I am having a hard time seeing any real benefits vs gusseting and strengthening the original frame in certain areas.
Weight savings ... it would have to be at least 200 pounds lighter than stock to be a real benefit HP / weight ratio...I don't see that happening. I would think it would actually be heavier?
I would guess the lightest weight option with still plenty of strength would be a reinforced factory frame... Maybe I am wrong. If you could lose 150 or 200 pounds off the weight of the factory frame and have all the added strength ,then I would have a different opinion. I have always tried to keep my car light for this reason

Strength ...Is the stock frame really that bad especially if it was gusseted . How many people are bending their frames under hard recreational use?
I would think the gusseting and reinforcing like Joe and SNW have done in critical areas would be more than enough. Assuming you are not racing KOH

Resale value ...Probably not good.... you would have to find just the right buyer. And you would be way over capitalized in the whole thing. I am not sure how an insurance company would value it or what it would cost ?

What happens when Polaris or another MFG (Speed SXS) releases the next greatest UTV with a better power plant , transmission , suspension options , HP ....etc.
I would feel like I was stuck. Pol has to have something big coming down the line soon
(Can Ham slicer )

I would love to see it done especially by you ,but I don't think there are enough benefits. IMO
My vote wait ...for a while to see what Polaris does next or buy the Turbo S and swap all the parts you can and start over. That's one of the best points of the Xp and XPT , so many parts swap over between models.

It's sad that Pol didn't offer a 72 inch wide 2 seat XP Pro , it already has the longer 96" wheelbase, tighter turning radius and one piece frame.
You would just need to make new body panels to de Fugly it....HA
I was waiting for you @Max_H :) you bring up some excellent counterpoints ( as have many of the rest of you, no selling you short at all ), and the following is mostly rebuttal, but again, in a discussion point, i don't really disagree with anything you mentioned, but I'll address it point by point

In the end result...the gains would probably not be worth it to most people, and the uniqueness is really just a "cool" factor essentially right?

Weight savings...I can all but guarantee it would be heavier, but I would do diligent to pay attention to the weight as I went along, there's also some things on Bailey I wouldn't do on this build that would save weight, so i may get lucky in the end...but that may be wishful thinking..still 100lbs heavier doesn't destroy the P/W ratio form where I'm at now

Strength... you're probably spot on, I don't have much counterpoint to that, it would be stronger form a tubing standpoint, but essentially that would be overkill really

Resale....I wouldn't expect to ever sell it honestly, and as far as insurance goes...well I just don't know!

The future OEM machines...honestly...I think SXS's are nearing their peak, especially after many of us upgrade the stock platform to the moon, and the XPT/S platform can still crank out 200+hp pretty easily & reliably... Probably the only thing I'd be jealous of is if someone actually designed a non-belt drive, sequential shift, 3+ speed machine with an actual crawl gear...Honda is getting there....but they missed the mark in the crawling game...and I don't know that that alone wound be enough to make switch from Polaris. And even if i were wrong, and SXS makes leaps and bounds gains in the coming years... I still think the XPT/S platform will long be a contender from a capability standpoint...I don't have much desire to win drag races in a sxs, and I can push my current machine to the edge of my driving skills...so If I could build a machine that was just a little bit ahead of where I'm at now, and possibly different in some ways specific to my use that the OEM's wouldn't want to touch because it's not very marketable...then I'd still be overwhelmingly happy with what I have...at least I think lol.

I'm still not sold that the Pro platform is that much of an improvement over where my current machine sits, and It's really not that much different of a machine. The water cooled turbo is appealing...but I could do that on my build pretty easy...the chassis itself has some improvements...but the weak spots will be discovered over time and it would still need similar work to reinforce the chassis / suspension when you start pushing it to the limits, the clutch design could be used on my build...but I'm still waiting to see if it's truly "better", or just "different"... the added 15hp to start with isn't a major selling point to me..it's so easy to tune a turbo machine these days and achieve excellent performance.... that a 15-30hp loss after tuning doesn't shy me away form the old platform ( I could us the PXP engine as well...probably be able to find some good donors by then) Outside of that..what's so special about it? It's ugly? lol. The aftermarket also didn't dive full bore into the PXP, and the support is HUGE for the XPT/S, and even still continuing to expand at the end of the model run...that shines pretty bright in my mind. 96" isn't long enough still (to me), and 125" is way too long... that magical 108-110" sure does appeal heavily to me. Also...my wife's gonna end up with whatever the new hotness is when she's ready for her own machine, so I'll still have that to play with if I like..and I have a stepson that'll be ready for a machine before too terribly long....what i should really be thinking about is how I'm going to store and haul the ultimate collection lol.

Overall cost and continued use of my current machine play big factors to me...the experience plays a big factor to me....infinite customization plays a big factor to me...Me being a different kind of idiot also probably plays a big factor to me lol. I see both sides of the story too, so I'm by no means going to say anybody's wrong about anything lol.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Today's Brainstorming base plan: ( Just kinda random thoughts that came into my head, in no specific order, and there's plenty of things that are just a given I feel that I won't list lol )
1-3/4" x .095 main tube chassis / cage
108" Wheelbase, 2 seat
20-24" ground clearance
Low angle CV's / suspension at ride height
Aluminum Fuel Cell (15 gal ish) behind the seats
All cooling behind the seats & low in front of the engine
RS-1 Diff ( A billet one if SATV has stepped up by then ;) )
Single Battery and winch above the diff
37" Tires
4" Portals - 30% ( Maybe 6" 45%...)
High gear increase, Low gear reduction
Aluminum fab dash & console, factory cluster in addition to AEM CD-7
Switchworks switch control
A little adjustment to the front shock angle
Water cooled turbo
Some minor boat siding
CV propshaft
Fully underbelly UHMW protection
High clearance everything
Shocks....now that's a decision for another day

I think I've probably rambled on for too long...so here's another novel! Thanks for all the input everyone!

Registered
Sounds like you鈥檝e been down this road before, I say go for it. I love seeing other builds to get ideas from. I鈥檝e spent a lot of time looking through some of the KOH builds online, a lot of builders use the 2 main frame rails all the way back (keeping the front diff, steering rack, motor & trans mounts in tact) and build new from there. I really like that idea.

Registered
I know you're not wild about starting with a wreck, but my god the parts you could scavange from a copart rollover. Meanwhile you seem pretty realistic about the whole thing.

Good luck!!

Aspiring Perfectionist
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Sounds like you鈥檝e been down this road before, I say go for it. I love seeing other builds to get ideas from. I鈥檝e spent a lot of time looking through some of the KOH builds online, a lot of builders use the 2 main frame rails all the way back (keeping the front diff, steering rack, motor & trans mounts in tact) and build new from there. I really like that idea.
That鈥檚 pretty much where I sit with it currently, those two rails are pretty essential for keeping much of everything else interchangeable.

What are you thinking of for an engine? 37 inch tires are gonna need some torque to get them turning.
XPT Engine will do just fine, Big gear reduction in the trans and/or portals work wonders for that.

I know you're not wild about starting with a wreck, but my god the parts you could scavange from a copart rollover. Meanwhile you seem pretty realistic about the whole thing.

Good luck!!
I鈥檓 not against it so much really, I think ultimately any donor or template vehicle / frame I pick up will just all depend on what comes along during the planning / prep phase. That would also save me a good chunk of change and help the budget deptif the right machine came along.

Registered
Check in with Drew at IBEX, the guy who makes the buggy chassis kits. He is really sharp.

A couple of years ago he said he was going to do the same concept with a RZR, a kit that is all CNC cut, notched, bent, that accepts all the factory mounting points.

No idea if he ever saw it through.

I have a Jeep build for a guy wrapping up now, then my RZR is next up, I am going to cut the living hell out of it. :)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts