Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I generally have my 800 on a tender when it's sitting for more than a day or two, only because of the (minor) hassle of having to lift the seat up and install the charger clamps. My wife uses the RZR around the property and isn't particularly mechanically minded and the hooking up of the battery could lead to some grief. Thus, I'd like to know if anyone has come up with a method of permanently leaving some type of connection on the battery that can be attached to the tender connections, easy on, easy off. Anything available commercially?

·
Premium Member
610 Posts
Reactions: DaGoat

·
Registered
513 Posts
I just wired up the pigtail that come with the walmart kit to my hot all the time terminal. I leave the end tucked under the dash and it is super easy to unplug when ready to ride.

·
Registered
'18 XPT
2,102 Posts
I do exactly as Sooner has mentioned. I keep an adapter under the seat that's directly connected, and I keep a cigarette lighter adapter in the glove box.

HOWEVER:

Be careful buying a non-battery tender cigarette lighter adapter. such adapters are wires both ways. Some are designed to deliver 12V, and some are designed to accept 12V. They are wired in reverse at the two prong plug!!!

Look at this:

For any cigarette lighter adapter that is intended as a "source", so it's acting as a charger or power supply to something else, it would be bare tip positive. You want a lighter adapter that the bare tip is negative!

Here is one that is wired correctly for what you want to do and is half the price.

I suggest you keep a spare fuse around or two. I once got in a hurry and plugged in a 10 amp battery charger. Oops.

·
Premium Member
2019 RZR XP4 1000
116 Posts
I went with a Noco 2A permanent mounted and a shore power inlet. I could have hid the inlet but I like the ease of use.

·
Premium Member
482 Posts
I’ve always used battery tender for many years on a number of things. Not sure if the internals had a malfunction or what, but had one slowly cook off a flooded battery. I now plug stuff in intermittently. I also picked up a noco genius 2 and so far I like it. It boldly claims you can leave it plugged in indefinitely. It also has a switch for multiple battery chemistry’s. All of the known ones have a permanent pigtail you can get. Personally I’d hook up a programmable timer(or unplug from time to time.)One you can have turn on for 5-9 hours once a week or so. Many people leave it plugged in. You can also google the horror stories of them failing and burning down a shed, garage etc. everything convenient has a risk I suppose.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I use the Noco genius plugs right in to the battery tender connection my RZR came with, liked it enough to mount another one under the hood of my truck. Left both plugged in over the winter with zero issues and fully charged batteries.

·
Registered
2019 xp1000
9 Posts
Used a panel mount SAE connector, same as my battery tender uses and mounted in the bed and ran thru a fuse and switch.
When parked, connect battery tender and turn on switch. I tend to only run the tender maybe one day a week, or when very cold. Just turn the switch on/off when I need.
My lighted whips now have the same connector, plug then in and now there switched

·
Premium Member
2019 RZR XP4 1000
116 Posts
Yeah, I just plug in once a week or so or if I’m using the stereo for the garage. I need to wire in a switch for the Noam stereo as the previous owner wired directly to the battery and there is a little loss.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I'm sure theres horror stories on just about anything. I've had my battery tender plus running none stop, excluding power outages for over 10yrs. It just has the 1 lead, and I rotate it once a week or so between 2 toys and my Mustang. Currently just using the 12volt adapter for the rzr, but plan on adding a lead directly to the battery.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
958 Posts
i modded my tender with these
JST Connectors
i run across them every now and then when im doing a UPS battery swap on servers.
its passed through the lower seat to the foot well and just hangs there. :)

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have a dual AGM battery setup. Like "Loudy13" I installed a two port Noco Genius permanently. When I'm not riding I just plug it in. Keeps the batteries perfect all the time and extends their life.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks to all of you for your responses! I wound up with a NAPA tender that has a permanent attachment to the battery and a connection that protrudes just past the seat. I learned a bunch from all of you!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts