Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

21 - 40 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Nice set up. Ive got every thing to do that, it really don't matter weather it on the rail or at the pump does it? on an 08 its much easier to access the pump..

·
Registered
7,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Nope, no difference.

I have a UTV Inc. bed plate, which is easy to remove and give access to the engine compartment. Its actually easier to get to the fuel rail than it is to take the seat out to get to the pump!

I have found that if you test the pump, replace the pump, then turn the key on, the fuel rail pressurizes to 39 psi. If you start the engine...it stays at 39 psi. The pump has the capability to push more fuel than the injectors can use. So you can test with the engine off or the engine on.

Pirate

·
Registered
7,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Mike,

Is the "however its spelled" valve at end of the fuel rail...towards the back of the RZR past the throttle body?

I believe NAPA or Ace Hdwe or someone that carries a lot of brass fittings will have a fitting that screws onto a valve stem and then converts to pipe thread. From there you can adapt to whatever you are using for the test kit.

RV shops may also have something that's used for blowing out water systems for winterizing.

Pirate

·
Registered
7,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Jim,

Not sure what you're asking.

I attach the test set up to the end of the fuel rail and clamp it.

Then turn on the key and check the pressure.

I've started the RZR and the pressure remains the same.

I've caught all kind of S*^* over past days on a "pressure regulator". If there is one, and I guess there is, then the pressure regulator must set the 39 +/-3 psi. A failing pump doesn't get there.

So I think my answer to you is that the pressure regulator does what its supposed to, by maintaining the 39 psi. If the test gauge reads low...then its the pump. Learning that there is a regulator makes me wonder if there is a chance the regulator can fail...causing low pressure, by relieving too much. Or as the other post, the pressure was too high.

Really not sure how to test the pressure regulator.

Just my take.

Pirate

·
Registered
7,128 Posts
Just thought I'd bring this back up. A BIG THANKS to Pirate for this inexpensive set up to help diagnose a common problem.

·
Registered
7,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Javier,

If you're changing plugs, put in the NGK Iridium plugs.

No, I can't remember the number right off the top of my head, but if you need it let me know and I'll get it for you.

Pirate

·
Registered
38 Posts
If you dont mind pls. It sure would come in handy. Just went to the local Napa store and tried buying everything I needed for my fuel pump pressure kit. Didn't have anything separate. He tried selling me one for $80.00. I ran out. Lol. Im looking into oreillys and it looks like they have what I need. I also looked into the fuel pump and it looks like E8335 is the one. I have 2011 rzr 4 800 eps robby gordon. Hope I get my baby up to speed.

·
Registered
7,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
That's a radiator drain valve.

For safety, I'd rather leave the hose clamped on the fuel rail, slowly open the drain valve to relieve the fuel pressure...and if done, then loosen the clamp and pull the hose off the fuel rail.

Yup SAFETY FIRST!!

Pirate

·
Registered
7,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Javier,

You got it! No problem.

I spent my career working in powerhouses.

It was amazing what it would take to get new apprentices to learn to "live in a culture of safety".

All the best,

Pirate

·
Registered
429 Posts
had a question , hooked up pressure gauge as described above. pressure when up to 43.. when i rev the machine the pressure drops down 5 or6 psi ... is this normal ?or should it stay at 45 no matter what ?
I also have a 2011 robbie gorden 4 seater .. i couldnt find a thread on an aftermarket pump ... is this suppose to be a replacement ? E8335

thanks again for this post pirate .. helped alot...

·
Registered
7,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Good response Chris! I'm really not sure how much the pressure is designed to drop when an injector opens.

But I would not recommend starting the motor with the fuel pump test set attached. Heaven forbid, if the test set blew off the end of the fuel rail, you would have a lot of gas blowing out right on to the exhaust headers...and that would be disastrous!!!!

The pump test set up is just a means to be certain the pump is delivering enough fuel at enough pressure to meet spec at the fuel rail, and thus at the closed injectors.

Remember SAFETY FIRST!!!

Pirate

·
Registered
429 Posts
so pirate your just turning key on and seeing if it goes to 38psi (for up to 2010) or 45 (for 2011) and up ?

mine seems to go up someone times and others only get to 35 then stop.
Once i start the machine it seems to move up .

21 - 40 of 57 Posts