·
Registered
648 Posts
Reactions: Impact344

·
Registered
637 Posts
3 rules for carrying fuel on a RZR
1/ keep it as far away from the manifold/exhaust as possible do not store fuel in rear bed.
2/ do not store fuel where in can get crushed or ruptured in a roll over
3/ only use high quality storage containers, when stopped and RZR is turned off vent the excess pressure and re-secure the vent cap

A lot of fires start from the heat of the motor expanding the fuel in the container causing it to leak vapour/gas from the containers vent onto the bed and gets ignited when it leaks down on to the hot exhaust.... presto instant RZR BBQ

If your 4 seater is not full of people I would store in the rear seat/floor area on the drivers side

·
Premium Member
223 Posts
1/ keep it as far away from the manifold/exhaust as possible do not store fuel in rear bed.
3/ only use high quality storage containers, when stopped and RZR is turned off vent the excess pressure and re-secure the vent cap

A lot of fires start from the heat of the motor expanding the fuel in the container causing it to leak vapour/gas from the containers vent onto the bed and gets ignited when it leaks down on to the hot exhaust.... presto instant RZR BBQ

If your 4 seater is not full of people I would store in the rear seat/floor area on the drivers side
I would put it on the passenger side so it would be further away from the battery

Sent from my iPhone using RZRForums.net

·
Registered
637 Posts
BUT the exhaust is directly behind the rear passenger seat as well so if it did leak .... it would go strait back towards the exhaust

Best to avoid carrying extra fuel if possible

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

TY. Have you seen mounted set up for this?
I have seen a few rotopax tanks mounted to rear roll cage on the side but I alway thought that would be dangerous if they leaked.

·
Registered
637 Posts
I've seen some storage boxes that are attached to a rear oem seat base but nothing that mounts to the floor yet, I don't have a 4 seater so not really sure on the best mounting points back there

I think the best way would to have a water tight container (on the bottom) hard mounted to the rear floor where a rotopax or jerry can could be mounted inside so if it ever leaked the spilt fuel would be contained within the box and have no chance to get any where close to the hot motor.

·
Be careful out there!
245 Posts
I carry three tanks. Sometimes don’t need em, once needed all three. Two on the sides and one suspended under the liftable spare tire rack.
95F83840-FFC1-40DD-8091-5B2CBBAFBBBE.jpeg

·
Aspiring Perfectionist
5,107 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
IMO if you want to do it right your buy IMS tank.

·
Registered
4,067 Posts
There are ways to carry fuel safely but in plastic containers that can get crushed and pour fuel onto the engine and/or occupants is NOT one of them. Spun aluminum tanks such as by BAM Mfg is a good solution or as mentioned above a larger in vehicle tank.

BAM Mfg.

·
Registered
353 Posts
View attachment 643480

Been thinking of getting a fuel pack and mounting it on spare tire. Anyone have any luck with this setup?

I would not carry extra fuel as a general "be prepared" practice. I have carried extra fuel on a couple of rides where I anticipated running low. It is best put in the tank as soon as it will fit, it's the safest place. Between the hot sun and getting all shook up, any fuel cans have to be exceptional performers.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts