Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wondering if anyone can help me out here. I have an 09 RZR 800, here what's been done to it: K&N intake kit (w/ outerwear); DMC dual exhaust and DMC fuel controller.

It's used in the sand dunes 99% of the time.

I have the controller on the stock setting and I don't know where to go from here. The controller instructions don't help me any and I don't know what adjustments to make to get the most out of the add ons.

Another question I have is about the clutch. In the sand when pegged from a standstill it goes right to the rev limiter until it gets moving at about 20-25MPH. Will a clutch kit specifically for the sand help this at all?

I'm not new to the sand dunes, but I'm new to anything dealing with the RZR engine and fine tuning. Starting point maybe?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Do you have paddles? If not, start there before clutching (I know, maybe a dumb question but you did not state your tire type). If you have paddles then a clutch kit will definitely allow you to use the wasted power you already have. I can't help you with the fuel controller. I can help you with getting the most out of your machine for the LONGEST time...OK...everybody help me on this one...DITCH the K&N. Been there, done that (against overwhelming advice on this forum) and threw it away after inspecting the throttle body after less than 60 mi in moderate dust/sand and found a nice fine dust coating on the intake past the filter. Disclaimer- I am a K/N fan for use on race engines of various types but I also had short TBO's on those engines. I don't plan on pulling/rebuilding my RZR engine every three to four rides, however.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Do you have paddles? If not, start there before clutching (I know, maybe a dumb question but you did not state your tire type). If you have paddles then a clutch kit will definitely allow you to use the wasted power you already have. I can't help you with the fuel controller. I can help you with getting the most out of your machine for the LONGEST time...OK...everybody help me on this one...DITCH the K&N. Been there, done that (against overwhelming advice on this forum) and threw it away after inspecting the throttle body after less than 60 mi in moderate dust/sand and found a nice fine dust coating on the intake past the filter. Disclaimer- I am a K/N fan for use on race engines of various types but I also had short TBO's on those engines. I don't plan on pulling/rebuilding my RZR engine every three to four rides, however.
I have 8 paddle haulers on it. I've also ran the k&N for the past two years and everytime I've opened it up and taken a look it's clean. Not sure where you ride, but I'm in Oregon and the sand is not dirty or ashy as is the case with Moses lake Sand dunes in Wa. I'm pretty happy with the K&N set-up. I have over 500 care free miles. All in the sand.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts