Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 08 RZR 800 with an issue. There is a banging sound that you can also feel in your feet that will occasionally bang. It does it more at speeds above 35mph and when making right turns (occasionally left also but a lot more on right turns). I let everything get good and dirty and drove it around after it dried. My thinking was that if something externally was hitting something (which is what it sounds like), there would be "clean" marks. I then pulled it up on my lift and looked under the front end. The front of the driveshaft at the area of the u-joint knuckles had "clean marks" on them like they had been hitting the steering mechanism right above them. I grabbed the driveshaft with my hand (after removal of skidplate) and thete is a lot of play in it. Almost an inch of movement! The male pinion protruding from the gearcase has a tiny bit of movement and looks like its teeth looks fine, from the part you can see. The u-joints also look fine. The female part of the knuckle that sits on the pinion has teeth that also looks fine. The movement is between the female and the male connections. (There is a pin that is in the female part that I would assume engages in a groove on the male pinion part, the pin is still there too.) It is almost like the male pinion is too small for the female end on the drivesaft knuckle. I cant see any break anywhere in the knuckle. Other than it sounds and feels like the front end is exploding and coming apart at the seams, it drives and operates normally in both two and four wheel drive. But I'm scared to drive it much at all.
Help!:question:

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Seriously, nobody has ran across this?

·
I just wanna ride
3,640 Posts
Seriously, I've never seen it before.
can you take a picture?

·
Registered
7,130 Posts
OK JT, phone rang, and I had to re-read your post. You have an 08. How many miles? We have an '09 with 4200 miles, nearly all on these rough trails of the Ozark Mtns. I'm going to assume you ride rocky trails as well. Now that these machines are starting to rack up high mileage, there are some issues showing up that we have not yet seen. Just my .02
At a fairly early age, we were climbing up over a 4 foot high berm trying to get out of a riverbed. When I high centered with all 4 wheels spinning, it sounded like the hammers of hell right under my feet. Turns out the factory skid plate flexed enough to push a small part of the frame against the front yoke of the driveshaft. I installed a full set of FUTV UHMW skids shortly after that. On my last full blown service, skids off, I noticed the driveshaft yokes and their mating areas to both the rear transfer case, and the front demand drive are scarry loose. So I ordered a brand new driveshaft that should be here by Friday. I am going to pull the old one and try to do as many measurements as I can and repost what the situation is. A lot more guys are going to start seeing this in the next few months as the mileage adds up. It is just not one of those things that you check during routine servicing, until it turns to crap out on the trails!

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
OK JT, phone rang, and I had to re-read your post. You have an 08. How many miles? We have an '09 with 4200 miles, nearly all on these rough trails of the Ozark Mtns. I'm going to assume you ride rocky trails as well. Now that these machines are starting to rack up high mileage, there are some issues showing up that we have not yet seen. Just my .02
At a fairly early age, we were climbing up over a 4 foot high berm trying to get out of a riverbed. When I high centered with all 4 wheels spinning, it sounded like the hammers of hell right under my feet. Turns out the factory skid plate flexed enough to push a small part of the frame against the front yoke of the driveshaft. I installed a full set of FUTV UHMW skids shortly after that. On my last full blown service, skids off, I noticed the driveshaft yokes and their mating areas to both the rear transfer case, and the front demand drive are scarry loose. So I ordered a brand new driveshaft that should be here by Friday. I am going to pull the old one and try to do as many measurements as I can and repost what the situation is. A lot more guys are going to start seeing this in the next few months as the mileage adds up. It is just not one of those things that you check during routine servicing, until it turns to crap out on the trails!
Keep me posted on this...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts