Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I was pulling my front OEM axles to replace differential bearings. The spring retaining clip that goes inside the inner CV joint got twisted and deformed and allowed me to pull the cup apart. I removed the boot and pulled the cup with a puller. Nothing is damaged except for the retaining ring. I have searched here and on the web in general. Coming up with no luck. The best advice I have found is to cut up a spring?? I looked on McMaster and did not find one with a round spring wire, only flat.

Any advice where to look or how to proceed? I hate to install my spare axle for a retaining ring failure. I also don't want to spend the $100+ for the inner CV rebuild kit, just for that part.

Edit... I added a stock photo of something similar. Not my exact application, but you get the idea. It retains the cage in the CV joint.

Safety glove Medical equipment Service Medical glove Electric blue

·
Registered
965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Why not use the retainer from your spare axle?
Well, I guess I could in a pinch. I just don't want to pull the boot apart and deal with the mess of all that grease on a perfectly good sealed axle (this clip is inside the cup, not the retainer that goes into the dif splines).

I would also have a spare with no retaining ring (I sure don't want to switch it back on a side of a mountain somewhere).

·
Registered
965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ah, I even read your post a couple times over and still missed the obvious 🙃 I agree with SNWMBL. Make some calls to local shops. Or upgrade the stock axles.
I added a stock photo to original post. Hopefully that will help to explain what I struggled with. Not my exact application, but close.

RCV has something similar, but they told me it would not work for OEM axles. I am going to call local dealer tomorrow and look for some broken axles to rob.

·
Registered
965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Keep us posted. I'm working my way over to these axles hopefully later today to dig the rings out..

Wonder if @SuperATV would know if the Rhino retaining rings match OEM size cups..? I can probably measure OD of cups at least later also. But that might not help.
I talked to them and they did not think Rhinos will work.

·
Registered
965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I have spent hours looking. Nothing yet. I did have a broke rear axle that I plan to steal this part and cut some of the spring off. It is slightly bigger OD.

·
Registered
965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
This was my fix for the time being. I took apart an old rear axle and used the spring. I had to cut about 1/2” off due to the larger cup size on the rear. I assembled into the RZR and rode about 20 miles with no issue.
Automotive tire Road surface Asphalt Wood Grey

1 - 8 of 8 Posts