Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I cannot believe nobody sells a front flag mount attachment for the rzr-s. Is there a vendor that sells one?

·
SomeGuyFromOlympia
1,782 Posts
for real?
I've never heard of that

I've always understood it that you had to have a flag....period

I learn something new everyday

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
for real?
I've never heard of that

I've always understood it that you had to have a flag....period

I learn something new everyday

Silver lake sand dunes requires the flag to be mounted on the front of the vehicle unless you "straddle" the seat meaning a quad or motorcycle.

Sooooo I am looking for a front flag mount. I would prefer to purchase instead of fabricating myself. A nice billet aluminum mount I would pay dearly for.....

·
Registered
882 Posts
This would be an easy thing for one of you vendors to fab up...I'm sure more than a few midwest guys who frequent Silver Lake would be interested in these things.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
This would be an easy thing for one of you vendors to fab up...I'm sure more than a few midwest guys who frequent Silver Lake would be interested in these things.

Exactly what I need! Does it hold up to the whipping back and forth of the flag mounting it on those tabs?

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Why in the world do they want it in the front, so it can beat the paint and powdercoat off your cage and roof:rofl3: And I thought California had some crazy laws:rofl3:

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Why in the world do they want it in the front, so it can beat the paint and powdercoat off your cage and roof:rofl3: And I thought California had some crazy laws:rofl3:
I have no idea.... My thought is from the safety standpoint of the vehicles highest point (the front end) during travel up hill???? This would make sense for the larger vehicles hence the requirement to mount it on the rear for a quad.... I do not know why.....

I am just hoping some vendor can fab one for me...

·
Registered
882 Posts
I have never even had the flag hit the hood, let alone the cage and roof.

mackshell is right though, they want you to be able to see the flag before anything else. If you had the flag on the back of a truck, you could be almost over the hill before it was visible to somebody coming the other direction. Silver Lake is MUCH smaller than the dunes you guys have out West, so this is more of a problem here. It is a pain because nobody makes a good bracket, but I have avoided hitting people on more than one occasion because I saw a flag coming up and over the peak before anything else....so it is something we have to deal with.

Any of the vendors with some machining tools could make something like what I have, just a small hunk of aluminum machined to fit the mounts in front of the radiator with a 1/2" hole on top...it is plenty strong to hold the 10' flags that we are required to have here.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Langford, do you happen to know the dimensions of the two mounting holes on your mount along with the approx distance it sticks out?? do you have any issues with the flag hitting the front hood of your rzr?

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
So if you mount one to the front bumper or grill area verses the top front of the roll cage, you would see the one at the front bumper grill before the one mounted to the top of the front part of the roll cage coming over the dunes ????

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
So if you mount one to the front bumper or grill area verses the top front of the roll cage, you would see the one at the front bumper grill before the one mounted to the top of the front part of the roll cage coming over the dunes ????
i guess that would depend on the incline? i guess by stating the front of the vehicle it makes it simple for the State? who knows......

·
Registered
882 Posts
Langford, do you happen to know the dimensions of the two mounting holes on your mount along with the approx distance it sticks out?? do you have any issues with the flag hitting the front hood of your rzr?
Never any issues with it hitting anything. The only time the flag ever came into contact with the body (hood) was when my girlfriend did a 12' endo with the RZR...it slapped back pretty hard, but didn't do any big damage.

I will get you some measurements when I get home from work tomorrow on the bracket. A few places near the dunes sell mounts that work, but none are anything special as far as quality or design goes.

·
Registered
882 Posts
The made the laws well before UTV's were popular for the sand...it was pretty much started for trucks/buggies vs quad/bikes. All things where you straddle the seat (quad, three wheeler, or bike), you mount the flag on the rear...the short wheel base doesn't really matter where the flag is mounted, you will still be able to see the flag before you see the machine coming up a hill. The RZR and all other UTV's fit into the "sit-in" category like a buggy, truck, sand rail, etc...on those, the longer wheel base could hide the flag while climbing a hill if it were mounted in the rear, so they made a generic rule that states all flags have to be mounted to the front.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Never any issues with it hitting anything. The only time the flag ever came into contact with the body (hood) was when my girlfriend did a 12' endo with the RZR...it slapped back pretty hard, but didn't do any big damage.

I will get you some measurements when I get home from work tomorrow on the bracket. A few places near the dunes sell mounts that work, but none are anything special as far as quality or design goes.
we have some local plces that sell some primitive mounts but nothing you would want to leave on the vehicle full time. i would really appreciate some dimensions. mine is an hour north and i would like to find someone to fabricate something. did you buy yours some place?

1 - 20 of 74 Posts