Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do you pay for a front end alignment? I'm confident that I could do it but I don't know how and don't want to screw things up.

·
Registered
3,838 Posts
Simple, steering wheel straight, measure the distance in front/rear of front tires and adjust tie-rods to obtain ~1/4" toe-in.

·
Premium Member
787 Posts
As RZR Joe said. All u need is a tape measure and 10 mins of time. Do make sure the suspension is settled by driving the machine forward and backwards a few times B4 u set it.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I get about 15-20 in front of the thing and look at the front tires and see if they line up with the rear tires after you have the steering wheel straight. You will find that most of the time one side will be pointed in or out and you will have to adjust to get it in line with the rear tire. I do when I am not able to get a tape measure to go though the frame sometimes. You will find that alot of the machines are out of alignment from the factory on both atv's and sxs's.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So this is my setup. How can I adjust that without disassembling something?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
39 Posts
look just past the jam nut you will see slot on the rod about 2-3 in up, that is there so that a wrench will fit in to turn the rod to bring the wheel in or out to fix the alignment.

·
Premium Member
438 Posts
In theory this is easy but in practice not so much. It is difficult to get precise measurements from consistent measurement points. Way more than 10 minutes. Remember we are aiming for two measurements from nobby tires being accurate to 1/8”. I would be glad if people would share exactly how they measure.

·
Registered
152 Posts
just butt the end of the tape measure body against the inner sidewall and pull the tape end to the other side. do the same front and back.

·
Premium Member
438 Posts
just butt the end of the tape measure body against the inner sidewall and pull the tape end to the other side. do the same front and back.
Yes. But needs to be measured from exactly the same point on the tire both sides and front and back. And this needs to be at very near the full diameter of the tire for the 1/8-1/4” toe out recommendation to have any meaning.

·
Registered
3,838 Posts
The service manual actually calls for 1/8" toe-out if I remember correctly. Toe-out helps in corning but also causes the frontend to wander and it can also cause excessive CV angle on the inside tire (direction of turn). Slight toe-in will help the front end track better and the wheels will not fight one another and is typical of most vehicles. Toe-out can also cause oversteer which is useful in drifting to help break the rearend loose. As far as high speed desert stuff I have no idea, I would consult one of the race teams for their opinion. As an old school drag racer I'm use to going fast in straight line LOL

·
craigstumph
10,925 Posts
The reason for toe out is for keeping the vehicle going straight at speed through rough terrain, jumping, or whoops. I usually use 1/8-3/16" toe out front and rear. The easiest way I know is to wrap a string around the vehicle's tires (all 4) near the center line. This method is not totally accurate, but you will get close and it's free. If you have rear adjustable radius rods it really helps to fix the steering from pulling one way or the other. Note: front and rear wheels must be the same width (example 64" front and 64" rear).

·
Registered
426 Posts
How do you guys set the steering wheel center?

Set the toe, pull the steering wheel and re-position it?

Or, center and hold the steering wheel and then set toe?

·
Super Moderator
7,643 Posts
String around all 4 tires is easiest IF your width is same, front and rear. Several other methods detailed on YouTube. Not hard to do.

Sent from my S9+ using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
242 Posts
Around me you can get an alignment for around $50 if you shop around. If the machine is stock they will only have to set toe. You will probably have to provide the specs you want it set to. I have access to an alignment rack where I work. Mine was way out from the factory and the steering wheel was crooked when traveling in a straight line.

·
What?
183 Posts
How I did mine. No issue with placement on tires then. I removed the shocks so the ride height was easy to maintain. This was also when I did the S conversion, so everything was accessible.

·
Super Moderator
7,643 Posts
How do you guys set the steering wheel center?

Set the toe, pull the steering wheel and re-position it?

Or, center and hold the steering wheel and then set toe?
Whatever you do, don't pull the steering wheel unless you absolutely have to and don't use a hammer on it unless you want to buy a new power steering unit. Use a puller.

Sent from my S9+ using Tapatalk Pro

1 - 20 of 42 Posts