Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a leaky seal on my front diff (driver side output). Do I have to remove the diff and replace the seals from the inside or can I just pull it from the outside? I searched and saw someone say you had to pull the diff but the cutaway pic I saw from Hillard did not look like there was a lip on the inside. It looked like it could be removed from the outside.

I have already ordered the overpriced seal kit from Polaris. It wont be here until next week so I cant see exactly what I am going to be working with. I also did not see this in the service manual.

·
Registered
372 Posts
I just pulled the axle and used a very small sheet metal screw and screwed it into the old seal.. should pop right out..clean everything up and tap the new one in place and you good to go..

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Awesome, thanks! I sure didn't want to have to pull the diff.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
122 Posts
:cus::cus::cus::cus::cus: I have already completely dropped my front diff to change this! WOW wish I would have found this about an hour ago!

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah I search here before I take on any new repairs. It has saved me quite a bit of time. :)

·
Registered
488 Posts
I have been searching for this too. My passenger output appears to be leaking at 700 miles. I was hoping to not remove and open the diff. :) There seems to be many threads where people are pulling the diff to remove seals...this should just go into a tech section.

This looks much easier - remove axel - remove seal - reinstall.

Any other tips?

·
Registered
122 Posts
Yes when you put seal back in, be VERY careful! On the side of the seal that goes into the case, there is a small tension spring all the way around it. If you put the seal wrong, the spring will fold over the seal and it won't hold the seal tight the hub thus causing another irritating leak. Look up on this. Probably better explained.

·
TURBO'S RULE
1,772 Posts
JFYI, I am sure nobody wants to hear this, but, its reality.
Many times, when a seal starts to leak, its likely there is a problem that has lead to this. Such as excess play in bearings letting the seal be torn or worn. Vibration from worn/damaged cv joints, bent axles, etc...

Just saying, might want to look around before you just change out a seal, and see if there could be another problem causing seal leakage/damage

jmo

·
Registered
122 Posts
Allcool is tell all the truth! I changed a seal out then all of sudden it went again in less than 20 hrs. Come to find out my hubs inside the diff had retarded slop in them! I mean like putting a coke can inside a 5 gallon bucket.

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
They way we ride seals are a regular thing.

If it does it again soon I'll pull the diff and check everything out, but as of right now it is still good.

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I only changed the one that was leaking. The other side didn't start leaking for another 6 months or so.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Interesting the thread has been removed. Here it is in the alternative to oem thread.

Front Diff Oil Seal Alternative:

http://www.rzrforums.net/general-rzr-discussion/general-rzr...ference-2.html
Replacement seal and it measures the exact same as the OEM. Calipers measured inside/outside/thickness/lip height etc. Looks like they are built slightly different in the lips but see no reason they will not work. Application temp range is -40 through 258 degrees.

Metric Oil Seal 30mm-34mm Internal Diameter 30X40X4-MOS/D at Rocket Seals
http://www.rocketseals.com/catalog/...ls-style-mos/metric-oil-seals-style-mos;19616

·
Registered
488 Posts
Uncertain why stuff disappears. Keep in mind you get the case and input seal in the 60$ kit and it says Polaris on the box. :) But if you just need an output I think they were just a few bucks each.

Sent from my Windows Phone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2 Posts
So new to the rzr world got two questions on the seals. First question are they different in different rzrs or do they all swap out the same? Next question for the input seal do i gotta drop the whole diff? i had to change driveshaft ujoints and noticed it was leaking as well. mines a 2014 rzr 4 800

1 - 20 of 21 Posts