Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Banned
904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Front Diff Question **NOW WITH VIDEO**

Posted this in the 800 specific, but no comments and only 34 views, so I moved it here.

Ok, took my front diff out and tore it down to replace the seals and the sprague. My problem is, once I tighten the cover bolts, I can not turn the pinion at all. If I loosen them, it turns fine. Im not tightening them super tight either, just snugging them. I am thinking that maybe the pinion backlash screw needs adjustment, but wasnt sure since I didnt replace any bearings. I followed precisely how to put it back together via the manual and have taken it back apart a few times, but still no joy. Whats your opinions before I mess with the pinion screw? Also, what size is the adjustment screw? I dont have an allen wrench to fit it.

·
Premium Member
41,099 Posts
Posted this in the 800 specific, but no comments and only 34 views, so I moved it here.

Ok, took my front diff out and tore it down to replace the seals and the sprague. My problem is, once I tighten the cover bolts, I can not turn the pinion at all. If I loosen them, it turns fine. Im not tightening them super tight either, just snugging them. I am thinking that maybe the pinion backlash screw needs adjustment, but wasnt sure since I didnt replace any bearings. I followed precisely how to put it back together via the manual and have taken it back apart a few times, but still no joy. Whats your opinions before I mess with the pinion screw? Also, what size is the adjustment screw? I dont have an allen wrench to fit it.
The screw I believe is a 6mm Allen Head... It does state to check the drag in my manual anytime you R&R the diff...

·
Registered
2,396 Posts

Check You-Tube. There are a couple of good videos . HOLZ has one and SuperATV has one. RZR front diff carrier replacement. Not sure how to add a link on here for you.
Ken

·
TURBO'S RULE
1,772 Posts

Do NOT adjust gear backlash. That is NOT your problem.
Not needed unless you changed gears or coverplate.

manual section 7:21...
"NOTE: Ring gear backlash is set from the factory.
No adjustment is required unless the cover plate,
ring gear/clutch housing, or pinion gear assembly is
replaced. Adjustment is also required if the thrust
plate adjustment screw is removed."

The backlash adjustment only sets up the clearance of how tight the gears mesh. Setting this wrong could destroy your diff.

I know you're looking for an answer, but believe me its not the backlash if you didn't change gears.

If the pinion won't turn, you have something installed wrong.
Recheck everything, something is put together wrong.

jmo

·
Banned
904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I though I had something wrong as well and that is why I took apart several times. I will check again though. I know it says do adjust screw if you replace the cover plate or pinion, which I didn't do.

·
Banned
904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok, took it back apart and did it like the videos instead of the book. Will turn barely now, but not by hand and I have to bow up on it....

G

·
Try Rocking the pinion..you should get some slight movement...we are talking thousandths of an inch at the gears themselves but it's enough to feel...that's the backlash. If it has absolutely zero then backlash may be you problem..but agree if you didn't change anything that affects the ring gear position the backlash shouldn't have changed. If you get that slight play in the pinion before it won't turn then the ring gear is binding for some reason..

·
Banned
904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
There is zero backlash as far as being able to move the pinion. As you can see in the video, I can barely even move it using the extension as a leverage tool. I just pulled everything apart again to look for any binding. I pulled the pinion cap again to make sure the pinion wasnt in there wrong and test fit everything on the cover plate looking to see if I could see any binding and I also verified that I had the axle outputs on the correct side. I am at a complete lose other than a pinion adjustment. I would thing that removing it and putting the new in seal in the cap would have changed anything if I didnt replace the bearings, but maybe I am wrong?

G

·
Whose sprague carrier? Have you tried it with the stock one for the heck of it? Have you mic'd the length of the new one and compared it to the length of the stock carrier? I'd start there..

·
Banned
904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
ok, I just mic'd them again using a digital reader and zeroing it out before each measurement. Also measured more than once.

Stock = 2.113 long x .245 thick

Direct = 2.105 long x .248 thick

I dont think that little of a difference would cause this?

·
Banned
904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So, I put it together without the thrust plate and it still wont turn...So I am thinking something else besides the pinion adjustment now as that should have given me enough clearance between the adjustment screw and the ring gear to potate it correct? Are the hubs interchangable per side? Based on the pictures I took while taking it apart, I have the in the correct sides, but looking at the book, they are on different sides.

·
Banned
904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
****FIGURED IT OUT****

@ Allcool, you were 100% correct sir, it was all me...

So, I was about to go out and change the pinion screw when I decided to watch all the damn sprague videos again. I watched SATVs last and that is where I realized my error. If you notice, the sprague has grooves where the armature plate sit in. Well, those are supposed to line up with the grooves in the pinion ring as well and the armature plate sits receased into the gear and this is watch essentially provides your 4WD. I went outside to look, and sure as shit I had it wrong. Damn thing spins very well now..

This is what I had

This is how it should be

G

·
Haha..yeah that will do it! i couldnt watch your video on my phone...glad you got it figured out! Here's to hoping you didn't warp the armature plate :)
****FIGURED IT OUT****

So, I was about to go out and change the pinion screw when I decided to watch all the damn sprague videos again. I watched SATVs last and that is where I realized my error. If you notice, the sprague has grooves where the armature plate sit in. Well, those are supposed to line up with the grooves in the pinion ring as well and the armature plate sits receased into the gear and this is watch essentially provides your 4WD. I went outside to look, and sure as shit I had it wrong. Damn thing spins very well now..

This is what I had

This is how it should be

·
TURBO'S RULE
1,772 Posts
****FIGURED IT OUT****
Good, glad you figured it out.

Thats what separates the good techs from the part changers... the perseverance to keep looking and trying till you get it right. Many give up, and have someone else figure it out, or just keep changing parts till they get it. lol

Anyway, if you tightened up the cover with the armature plate not seated correctly, I'm worried you might have warped it or its tabs slightly. A warped plate, may cause intermittent awd operation.

jmo

G

·
A warped armature plate can also cause unintended engagement
That's the most common result of a warped armature.
****FIGURED IT OUT****
Good, glad you figured it out.

Thats what separates the good techs from the part changers... the perseverance to keep looking and trying till you get it right. Many give up, and have someone else figure it out, or just keep changing parts till they get it. lol

Anyway, if you tightened up the cover with the armature plate not seated correctly, I'm worried you might have warped it or its tabs slightly. A warped plate, may cause intermittent awd operation.

jmo

1 - 20 of 41 Posts