Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I have had multiple issues with my front diff and have had it rebuild with all sandcraft internals. This will be the 3rd time now! I rarely use 4x4 unless going up a steep hill, this last rebuild lasted one ride and the rear bearing was smoked. I replaced the carrier this spring with a sandcraft and just ordered a new sandcraft diveshaft as I am suspecting the wear is due to a unbalanced or bent driveshaft. When I engage 4x4 I could always feel a vibration through the machine.
I guess my question is do I just junk the front diff as maybe there is a tolerance defect or rebuild it again with the new driveshaft. Or does anyone have a spare they are willing to part with? Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
Also, are the tre diffs different gearing? Wouldn't think they would because gearing comes from the transmission not the diff.. right?
It is a lower ratio then the other RZRs.

I would start with a brand new, fresh differential for your model. Over the years I’ve learned this is money well spent. Rebuilt duffs never last like a fresh new one. You can look up the part number using your vin number right on Polaris’s site. Them search around for the best price. But I’ll bet Rocky Mountain atv is going to be the best deal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
647 Posts
Lots of good info on this forum. See info at the bottom of this post.

You sound like you use your diff the same way I do, only when needed. I have threads on diff issues and bearing failure. If you had Sandcraft build the diff or another experienced shop who specialized in the hilliard diff, the end results would be better, but not cheaper. They can shim it properly. There are shims in the diff made of plastic that I don't know how to obtain. If you are having such short life from the diff it's because the housing or other parts like the shims are badly worn and clearances are not correct.

As AJ and many others say, sometimes it's best to start with a new diff. Finding a used unit that is not already worn out or damaged is not the way. That is if you can find the specific geared diff the TRE has. It's not the standard XP unit. Those regular XP 1000 diffs are easier to find used and new. Wont work right for TRE though.

Saw a post where someone purchased a new diff for $1200. I don't know if that price is possible, but starting with a new unit and keeping it full of quality fluids that are changed often is the best way forward if you can do that.

Let us know how it goes. Hope you get it going soon.

Use search for Diff. Then select within this forum. That will be a lot of reading, but helpful.

Source of info... Front Drive System (Differential)

·
Registered
19 Posts
So I have had multiple issues with my front diff and have had it rebuild with all sandcraft internals. This will be the 3rd time now! I rarely use 4x4 unless going up a steep hill, this last rebuild lasted one ride and the rear bearing was smoked. I replaced the carrier this spring with a sandcraft and just ordered a new sandcraft diveshaft as I am suspecting the wear is due to a unbalanced or bent driveshaft. When I engage 4x4 I could always feel a vibration through the machine.
I guess my question is do I just junk the front diff as maybe there is a tolerance defect or rebuild it again with the new driveshaft. Or does anyone have a spare they are willing to part with? Any help would be appreciated.
Shoot me a message.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts