Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Looking for some help here:

I have a 2019 RZR 4 seat High Lifter Edition and while climbing a hill last weekend heard the dreaded noise that sounds like a broken axle. I stopped and took a look to find the inboard CV boot on the passenger side front axle was twisted. I grabbed the axle and tried moving it around and everything still felt tight. Lifted the machine up and there was no play in the joint, it felt perfect aside from the boot being twisted. Rode the rest of the weekend on it and never heard the noise again and 4wd always seemed to work when hit the switch. Once we got home I pulled the axle and removed the boot to find the retaining ring that holds the CV joint in the cup was distorted and doesn't seem to lock into the groove in the cup correctly. After cleaning everything up, the cup looks perfect, the cv joint looks perfect, splines on the axle stub look perfect, the only thing that looked bad was the retaining ring. The only thing I can figure is this clip allowed the CV to slide out of the cup just far enough to jump one groove and then fall back into place.

Anyone know where I can get one or what the dimensions on one are???? Polaris wants me to drop the machine off for a 3 week wait to try to get the axle warrantied (not gonna happen). They don't sell the retaining ring as a separate part, they only sell the whole plunging joint as an assemble to the tune of $115.00. I hate to have to buy a whole axle for a $0.99 retaining ring.

·
Premium Member
309 Posts
Looks like Polaris doesn’t sell the retaining ring separately, you can find a retaining ring from automotive store with same wire diameter as OEM, if it has enough tension to sit properly in the groove then it should be fine.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Looking for some help here:

I have a 2019 RZR 4 seat High Lifter Edition and while climbing a hill last weekend heard the dreaded noise that sounds like a broken axle. I stopped and took a look to find the inboard CV boot on the passenger side front axle was twisted. I grabbed the axle and tried moving it around and everything still felt tight. Lifted the machine up and there was no play in the joint, it felt perfect aside from the boot being twisted. Rode the rest of the weekend on it and never heard the noise again and 4wd always seemed to work when hit the switch. Once we got home I pulled the axle and removed the boot to find the retaining ring that holds the CV joint in the cup was distorted and doesn't seem to lock into the groove in the cup correctly. After cleaning everything up, the cup looks perfect, the cv joint looks perfect, splines on the axle stub look perfect, the only thing that looked bad was the retaining ring. The only thing I can figure is this clip allowed the CV to slide out of the cup just far enough to jump one groove and then fall back into place.

Anyone know where I can get one or what the dimensions on one are???? Polaris wants me to drop the machine off for a 3 week wait to try to get the axle warrantied (not gonna happen). They don't sell the retaining ring as a separate part, they only sell the whole plunging joint as an assemble to the tune of $115.00. I hate to have to buy a whole axle for a $0.99 retaining ring.
Hey Jollish3076, was wondering if you found a replacement ring. I have a 2019 Turbo and have the same issue. Any help will be appreciated.
Thanks

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey Jollish3076, was wondering if you found a replacement ring. I have a 2019 Turbo and have the same issue. Any help will be appreciated.
Thanks
I checked every auto parts store around and came up empty handed. I was getting short on time preparing for an upcoming ride so I went ahead and purchased a pair of Rhino 2.0 axles and put them on the RZR. I finally got on McMaster-Carr's web site and bought some internal spiral retaining rings that were close in size and installed those in the stock axles. It seems like it should work with no issues, but I have not tested it on the machine. The only issue I could see happening is if the axle was allowed to pivot far enough in the cup that it might hit the ring since it is thicker than the stock wire ring. I just keep them as spares now, but probably with the rhino's I wont ever have to worry about it...LOL

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thanks for the information. I think I going to follow the same route. I have been able to reshape the original rings and they fit the grove and have fairly good tension. That said I will be kicking myself in the A$$ so bad if I put them back on and one of them pulls apart on the side of a mountain somewhere. Probably will be spares!

Hard to believe you can't find a spring clip somewhere, however I am tired of Internet surfing trying to find it.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I even went to my local dealership to se if they had any old broken axles in their trash can that I could pull the clips out of...LOL

·
Registered
4 Posts
Before and After, now they are back together however I haven't convinced myself that I trust them enough to use them. We will see.
I still have a hard time believing that I damaged these this severely while attempting to get them out. I didn't use a slide hammer just hands. Oh well. Thanks again.
20200216_153550.jpg

·
Registered
7 Posts
lots of spare rings available, including O-Rings, from Gorilla axles. I just put one of their clips onto my new Rhino axle.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Mercoal, thanks for the info. I just checked and on their web site they do not list the clip that holds the CV cage and bearings into the cup that I could find. They list a lot of the smaller axle clips but not the big one that fits in the cup. Since I reshaped the originals and reinstalled the I have put about 1400 miles, the majority at Windrock, on it and no problems. Fingers still crossed. Thanks again

1 - 9 of 9 Posts