Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
882 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a lot of free-slop in my Rhino Axles in the rear of my 2012 XP900. They have became this loose over time, one side does leak around the seal just a little though not bad. My dealer (where the video was taken) checked and said the differential is A-OK (whew!) and that it's all in the splines and shaft of the Rhino axles. Both sides are like this, the left being a little worse than the right.

Has anyone else had this happen?
Is this much movement normal after awhile?

·
Registered
480 Posts
video shows private. Mine have some wiggle. I think so did my stock too, Havent had an issue though (not install related atleast lol)

·
Registered
298 Posts
Yah video says private. But if you have a seal leaking that can't be the splines can it? I'm pretty sure the hole through the diff with the splines that the axle goes in is sealed off from the diff oil it self? Meaning you could pull both axles out and still not have to worry about getting mud or water inside ur diff.

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
My front stock axles have a lot of play. The rhinos I had in the rear had quite a bit, but not as bad as my stock fronts.

·
Registered
24 Posts
You can pull both front axles out and not loose any oil on the front diff. If you see oil, you have a leak.

That is the good thing about Polaris, break a front axle and just pull it out of diff and keep riding, since most break at the outer joint.

·
Registered
882 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Polaris thinks the excess movement in the axle caused the seal to leak by pushing on it excessivly, they say the spines and tube/shaft inside the diff all look good though.

One side of my front diff is also leaking just a little and those axles also move around though though not quite as bad as the rears.

·
Registered
882 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
3,481 miles.

Dealer says it's all on the axle shaft of the rhino axles.
Talked to SATV today and got this email response after emailing them the video...

--- Begin Cut and Paste ---

The axles plunge and there really shouldn't be an issue with them moving as much as they are. Everyone that saw the video agrees that you should be able to use the machine and be fine with them like that. If you still have questions you can call us or send me an email whatever is best for you.

Thanks,

SuperATV

--- End Cut and Paste ---

·
Registered
171 Posts
I have rear rhino axles and they don't have any play but also only have 500 miles on them .

Axles spline shaft are made out a very strong material I don't see them wearing out like that .

Have you try a stock axle to really make shore is the shaft and not the housing bearing.

·
Registered
882 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have rear rhino axles and they don't have any play but also only have 500 miles on them .

Axles spline shaft are made out a very strong material I don't see them wearing out like that .

Have you try a stock axle to really make shore is the shaft and not the housing bearing.

Yep, one of the first things the dealer tried after inspecting the rear end with both rear axles out. Took another axle they happend to have out of another XP in their shop and stuck in and said it was tight with no slop. They said you can see the rounding on the splines near the end on the axleshaft.

If you PUSH in on the axle and it makes it righter, but it wont stay in that tight, even though the snap ring is locking in.

·
Registered
882 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yea, that's what I told the guy at SATV today, he was supposed to ask and call me back. I'm hoping they just stuck some in the mail to me. Even though the dealer did try putting a stock snap ring on my Rhino axles and said it didn't make them any tighter, but the Rhino ones might be differnet.

·
Registered
882 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I don't think new C-clips are going to change a thing.
If the stock axel fit properly I suspect there is a dimensional difference in the two axels (Rhino to Stock).
Did anyone get to compare measurements between the two when you had the RZR at the dealer

The thing is the Rhino axles were tight when they were new. I installed them when the XP only had 150 miles on it and was less than 2 weeks old.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I had the same problem with some Gorillas on the front of my Ranger. So much play that mud and silt got in and wore them out even faster. Cost me new axles and front diff. I think I am going to try some Highlifter DHT on my 900.

·
Registered
970 Posts
I don't think new C-clips are going to change a thing.
If the stock axel fit properly I suspect there is a dimensional difference in the two axels (Rhino to Stock).
Did anyone get to compare measurements between the two when you had the RZR at the dealer

The thing is the Rhino axles were tight when they were new. I installed them when the XP only had 150 miles on it and was less than 2 weeks old.
Well if that be the case it sounds to me like a heat treating problem with the axel splines.
Yes that much play in the video is excessive it want do anything but get worse. They are full of crap if they say its ok!
Kinda got me nevous now, I was planning on ordering 4 new Rhinos for my XP next friday..........

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
Why would you put axles from a Yamaha Rhino on a Polaris RZR XP? Is it stronger steel or a larger diameter shaft that makes it stronger? Are you guy's doing this because your Polaris axles are failing. Under moderate use are the Polaris axles going to give me problems. Our machine will see mostly forest service roads and some trips to Glamis. Obviously I'm a newbie to the RZR world. Thanks for any input.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts