Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I took my RZR4 to Glamis this last weekend, the sand was wet and we hit the big dunes all day long. It was a blast. When I got home and washed it up, I found some marks where the corner of the engine had kissed the frame a little bit. I checked all of the engine mounts for tightness and all the welds for missing paint and breaks and they are all tight. I am assuming this is from frame flex when I go from dune to dune in the transitions? The tires do come off the ground quite a bit, which is totally normal for me, I just never thought it would flex this much. I would assume that you guys that do alot of Rock crawling get this too?

·
Premium Member
22,920 Posts
its normal to see on the back passenger side of the motor .. you might want to buy some better motor mounts

·
Registered
888 Posts
Also, if you are concerned you can weld in a gusset kit for the frame. I did this and my ride definitely feels firmer. Just more solid all around. Maybe it's just me but I feel much better about my ride.

H

·
0 Posts
There is actually a tab sticking off the motor on the right rear..back side near the oil filter. Not sure if it is just from casting or if it is specifically there to contact the frame in the event the frame flexes or the motor mounts give enough..definitely looks like it would be the first to hit on the right side one mine....wonder if it might be a good idea to trim it down? With my lick it would be hollow and I'd end up with a hole in the case.,or maybe it would let the engine move to much and breaksomething else..just kind of looks like if it hits the frame very hard it migh end up breaking the case?
I'll get a pic of what I amtalking about..

I have the Holz mounts just haven't installed them yet...been putting it off as I hate vibrations..been mixed reviews on how much they increase the vibe levels.

H

·
0 Posts
my tab broke off hitting the frame so youll be fine grinding it down
Thanks Johnny! That is exaclty what I was worried about...with my luck it would crack the case instead of breaking off:rofl3:

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
There is actually a tab sticking off the motor on the right rear..back side near the oil filter. Not sure if it is just from casting or if it is specifically there to contact the frame in the event the frame flexes or the motor mounts give enough..definitely looks like it would be the first to hit on the right side one mine....wonder if it might be a good idea to trim it down? With my lick it would be hollow and I'd end up with a hole in the case.,or maybe it would let the engine move to much and breaksomething else..just kind of looks like if it hits the frame very hard it migh end up breaking the case?
I'll get a pic of what I amtalking about..

I have the Holz mounts just haven't installed them yet...been putting it off as I hate vibrations..been mixed reviews on how much they increase the vibe levels.
That is exactly what I am talking about.

H

·
0 Posts
THis is the before pic...I just trimmed mine down with my Dremel and cutoff wheel,took about 1/2 of it off.. couldn't get much more off wihtout alot more work..in anycase I don't think it can possibly hit now.

H

·
0 Posts
BTW I have to wonder if Polaris didn't put the tab there as a stop..but I think I'd rather not have it hitting the frame..Johnny's post is proof it can break..gotta wonder if anyone has had the case crack because of it hitting. I know polaris has some thin plastic tabs molded into the fenders underneath the front of the 850...looks like they are there to stop the tires from hitting the back of the headlight under full suspension comression. I had mine hit with oversized tires coming off a small jump and it sounded horrible...thought it was going to rip the plastics off....not the best way to stop suspension compression IMO. My point is..even if intentionally a stop is it really a good idea??

·
Registered
2,051 Posts
Here is a pic of my machine is it the tab where the blue arrow is pointing?

Mine does not look like its been hitting but I will clearance it so its not a issue in the future.

Thanks

Attachments

H

·
0 Posts
Yes that is it..looks like yours might have a little more clearance than mine did...might be an optical illusion. I didn't see any sign of mine hitting either...but I haven't twisted it up too much yet. Wonder if it might help to loosen all the mount bolts and lift the engine a little and then retighten..might be enough slack in the mount holes ect to account for some varying amounts of clearance?..in any case doubt mine will be hitting now..

·
Registered
6,016 Posts
After....
Guess I'll find out if trimming it was a bad idea..:rofl3:

Trimming this off is fine. My brother & I both trimmed ours off with a sawzall.

The bigger issue is at the rear diff. It will hit the hitch and bust your rear diff eventually if hit hard enough and enough times. I will be getting the Holz motor mounts because since getting a turbo, running in the dirt you really notice a difference in how much it hits the hitch. I have heard of several broken rear diff cases due to this issue.

H

·
0 Posts
After....
Guess I'll find out if trimming it was a bad idea..:rofl3:

Trimming this off is fine. My brother & I both trimmed ours off with a sawzall.

The bigger issue is at the rear diff. It will hit the hitch and bust your rear diff eventually if hit hard enough and enough times. I will be getting the Holz motor mounts because since getting a turbo, running in the dirt you really notice a difference in how much it hits the hitch. I have heard of several broken rear diff cases due to this issue.
Thanks...
I heard about the rear diff issue too..looked at mine but don't see where it might hit so I can see if mine has been hitting? Unless it is the snout to frame rail maybe?

H

·
0 Posts
Nevermind....I do see where the diff hits...and YES mine has been hitting at the back..kind of like you said..just to the left of the square hitch tube at the front of it.. Wonder if it will cause a problem to only put the Holz mount on the diff? Probably been covered...I should do a search lol.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts