Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

1 - 20 of 350 Posts

·
I just wanna ride
3,641 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a gearhead and take everything apart. One day I took the Fox shocks off my 2009 RZR S. I found a overlooked maintenance item in the ends of both front and rear shocks.

The Rears.
At first glance they look good and non serviceable. They are hiding a dirty little secret. Under the bushing and o'ring is a under-greased heim joint. I know your typical heim joint doesn't need grease. I think these do. Mine were starting rust at 500 miles.

It takes a bit of work to get the bushing out. Try both sides (it seemed like one side came out easier than the other) once you get one side out you can knock the other side out from the inside with a punch or small deep socket.

Next a thick o'ring

under that you will find a very dry and probably rusty ball. Grease it up with a good grease and put it back together.

I serviced my shocks when it had about 500 miles I just opened them up to take these pictures at 1700 and every thing looks like new.

I think if I didn't service them when I did they would loose by now.
I would think of this as a one time service.

The Fronts.
The fronts are at greater risk as they use a simple double bushing system. Much easier to service but you will need to do this one at least once a year.

Remove the center bushing.

Clean it up but don't use sand paper. If you would like you can grease just the outside of the small bushing and the inside of the big bushing and you're done.

If you want to continue you can remove the big bushing for a quick lube.

This shows all the parts. Removing the outer plastic bushings is pointless.

If you don't service the bushings they will start to rust and ware like this. Luckily this is not my shock.
I hope this will help someone.

·
◄►STARS & STRIPES◄►
3,832 Posts
Awesome job Jeff, great pics, and layout for teaching, Adding it to my "Maintinance" book Ive been printing out, Its up there with the throttle cable, airbox, clutch and many other Awesome threads created by members. I'm glad you took good care of the set. I look forward to picking them up from the post office next week!

I went and looked at the Stock (non "S") shocks, It to doesnt "look" servicable, But then again I dont see a hiem joint, just looks like a simple spacer, Then again the regular shocks are not made like the LT shocks. + the Fox quality over the 50"RZR shocks are day and night..

·
Banned
5,672 Posts
super good step by step - took you some time to photograph that - it occurs to me that for the price of those things that the lube thing should have been performed during assy. and shipped that way. they were assembled right? someone is sitting at an assy station with their 10 little parts (and good diagram i hope) and could include proper grease? at that point of manufacture? i always go back to mt former career, product engineering, and ask what would i do? what would i want my company to do for my product? and if by chance it was overlooked or never thought of you rely on feedback such as what RZR jeff takes time to do. does this company have persons (politically correct) who take time to check these blogs? there is a "search" at the top. they just type in "Fox Podium" ever so often. eliminates a heck of alot of field work. and take the ideas back to their monday morning meetings. then maria (not politically correct) could be applying grease by tuesday in my plant. do the polaris dealer dudes have a network for this? is it in place? does this good feedback make it back to maria by tuesday? the punch line is this - i see this whole thing as greatly needed more and more by our companies. i guarantee the asians are doing it. xao-ling was probably doing it by monday at ruch (lunch)
im on a roll here stay with me,
i cant believe all of us are still figuring out how to rig up turn signals! why dont these people at least include a little flat area on the bumpers next to the headlights and tail lights so we can at least cut in a damn diode light? you know, include it in the mold? aint hard to do. did some injection molding in the 80's. saw how easy it is. simple changes to the mold. they did redesign the front ends recently, right? any provision or consideration for a turn signal during that redesign period? anybody at polaris riding these? getting out in the field? reading a blog? listening to their dealers? looking at RZR jeffs awesome videos? using or administrators nice "search" feature? do they wanna support us so we can at least look street legal? you know get over a seemingly easy hurdle and a step closer to selling more rides? im tired of companies outsourcing people only for the 3.85 gpa sheepskin but unable to tell you that a 1/4-20 requires a 7/16 wrench (or that its the brown colored nut driver) oops i said brown and colored, im fired.
lets all chip in and buy Polaris.
i vote RZR jeff as head mechaical dude and he will replace a room full of red-dots, egyptian, and female so called engineers who never got to play in the sand with a Tonka. i vote that purple dancing barney person, be it male or female, as marketing mgr and the guy who slaps his head with mideviel costume as purchasing, and the guy who looks like a barbarian keeping time on the cowbell as quality control. the current administrators can keep their current positions. incidentally there cannot be room in our new operation for any panda. the guy who likes styrene in the morning is responsible for the coffee pot area. i will apply in the electrical dept. cause i actually can explain what 300 watts is. all signage in the new plant will be in one language, my sign shop will produce them i hope as i bid them honestly at a fair and reasonable price. no one be allowed to walk around texting with their pants hanging down and underwear showing. smoking is allowed but not once each hour for :15 min (fired a guy last month for that) and if you do have to smoke be considerate stand way away from all entry doors especially when cold out. (the new plant is in the midwest). the R&D area will be in a separate building, talk about a vendor area, and each spring we shut down for 2 weeks to go to an agreed upon location to ride and be thankfull.
i have vented.
also we fly one flag.

·
Registered
910 Posts
Thanks for the great write up Jeff! When I changed to Makin Trax springs I noticed the front bushings had a little rust, so I cleaned and re lubed them but it looks like I should have went further. Oh well another project! Thanks again Jeff.:yr1:

·
I just wanna ride
3,641 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I would like someone to do their shocks and post what they found. I know what mine looked like and we took the fronts off my friends.
I think the fronts are a must do. If my rears had a little grease when they were built they would have been fine for life.

·
Desert Rat
2,118 Posts
You DA MAN Jeff, excellent write-up.

·
TURBO'S RULE
1,772 Posts
Nice write up Jeff.
That's next on my list.

Did you do a shock maintenance and change shock oil when shock was off, got any pics?

·
Registered
3,114 Posts
Great write up.... I am doing springs soon so when I have the shocks off I will check them out and post what i find.

·
I just wanna ride
3,641 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Nice write up Jeff.
That's next on my list.

Did you do a shock maintenance and change shock oil when shock was off, got any pics?
I don't know anything about the oil or gas. If I was going to do anything with that I would take them to Steve at Makin' Trax. He is an expert!!

·
Razorholic
1,705 Posts
Cudos to you Jeff , Nice job! and thanks!!!

·
Registered
6,288 Posts
I would like someone to do their shocks and post what they found. I know what mine looked like and we took the fronts off my friends.
I think the fronts are a must do. If my rears had a little grease when they were built they would have been fine for life.
Jeff, I've got some fresh Podiums. Are you thinking I should verify lube here?...sounds like it might be worth a look to make sure. Nice find and documentation. Excellent value thread.

·
I just wanna ride
3,641 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Jeff, I've got some fresh Podiums. Are you thinking I should verify lube here?...sounds like it might be worth a look to make sure. Nice find and documentation. Excellent value thread.
I definitely think you should lube everything up before you install them.

·
Desert Rat
2,118 Posts
Oh you didn't just say that? Yeah you did, you did say that!!:rofl3::rofl3:

·
Registered
2,667 Posts
Good Point Jeff.

You did say that.

I found the same rust at 200 miles when I installed makin trax progressive springs(money well spent) I cleaned everything up and greased a bit too. Thanks for the info.

·
◄►STARS & STRIPES◄►
3,832 Posts
Oh you didn't just say that? Yeah you did, you did say that!!:rofl3::rofl3:
Are you kidding me...huh.. huh huh.....How does he do that?...How do you do that? What are you saying?
Hey how are you....
uhh good, I'm Good.
Nice to meet you..I'm handsome Rob, and you are?
Uhh.... my names...my names Becky but its written on my shirt.
Listen..I'm gonna need your shirt and your truck...
Perfect I'll give em' both to you, would you... would you like my verginity as well?
If its on the menu.
ha ha ha, oh your so whitty, Why dont you take advantage of me.
Yeah your not to bright are you..
No.
PERFECT!!
:popcorn:

1 - 20 of 350 Posts