Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was looking at a 25ft Work & Play Hauler today and was wondering if anyone has one on here? What are you using for a tow vehicle? These are suppose to be 1/2 ton towable. Wonder if that really true. Any input would help.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Have a 28SK model and love it. Very durable trailer.

They do not have all the "bells & whistles" of other toy haulers. They are built more for people who use them for hauling dirty wheelers and not shiny motorcycles.

Pull it with a 1 ton chevy crew cab. Because of the length and tongue weight the dealer said do not show up with a 1/2 ton to take it home.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info. I do know the tongue weight is high so you can load the ass end up with toys to balance it out.

·
Registered
59 Posts
The tongue weight on mine is close to 1100# unloaded. With two bikes, parts, tools, generator and plenty of cold drinks I am carrying at least 3500# in the cargo area and it helps some. Might also want to check where the fresh water storage tanks are. On mine they are in the left and right front corners of the trailer. Filling them adds close to another 500# to the tongue weight.

·
Registered
273 Posts
It didn't take much to get my half ton to start putting it's nose up. I fixed that with air bags and thought I didn't need a weight distro hitch when I bought a bigger toyhauler. Bought one anyway.....

Although I really don't change the bags much any more, it's pretty simple to get anything towing nice. It's a bit tight in the cargo area but I love my front bedroom 21' Shockwave also by Forest River.

Eli

·
Registered
273 Posts
It didn't take much to get my half ton to start putting it's nose up. I fixed that with air bags and thought I didn't need a weight distro hitch when I bought a bigger toyhauler. Bought one anyway.....

Although I really don't change the bags much any more, it's pretty simple to get anything towing nice.

Eli

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
The only half ton P/U I would tow with is a Chevy/GMC 1500 HD. This thruck is rated like a 3/4 and pulls a lot of weight. In some cases more than the plain 3/4 ton trucks on the 2005's and up. Haven't seen a 1500 HD line up for 2011 yet.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Look under it at the tanks. I went to go buy a real slick one when I looked under it at the tanks and the way the water tanks were under it they were deforming and about to fall out from under it. Instead of a rigid square tube under it to support the tanks it had a piece of flexible strap with a self tapping screws holding it. Rest of the trailer looked good though. This was a few years ago they may have fixed it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have the 26' version and pull with an F250, previous owner mounted a genset on tongue behind the bottles which added more tongue weight. After going through the learning curve on towing accessories ended up with air bags, weight dist. hitch and a rzr to balance the load out. I would think a 1/2 would wear you out as fast as it would be worn out.

If you are not going to load the trailer you will always have a problem with the tongue weight--they are designed to carry and when you do load a rzr, 2 bikes and gear in the back it will pull like a dream. Overall all they are great trailers without the 5 star accomodations and dont regret buying it one bit.

We use it for the deer lease, races and family vacations.

If your buying used, look at the roof line where all the bolts fasten the roof to the walls and make sure the nylon washers are intact & check inside for water marks--they will rot and begin leaking at each bolt. A few tubes of silicone will fix the problem.

Solid trailer, simple construction, easy to load and the big plus--easy to clean up when done hauling toys and gear.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
All great information. One advantage I have is I'm buying a new tow vehicle first. Then the hauler so I should be good. I just want to make sure I'm heavy enough in the truck ahead of time.

·
Registered
200 Posts
I priced the biggest one they make with the bare bones LQ area and it still was not big enough for my needs.

I got a 46' 21,500 GVWR Pace cargo trailer with a pimped out 12' LQ that has a full dry bath like a motorhome (separate head and shower), kitchen, fullsize 3 way fridge/freezer, 85 gal. water cap. with a 7KW gen set for $1,000 more than the stripped down work/play model.

If you are in the market for a toy hauler go here. Pace American - Living Quarters & Lounge Trailers
You can't beat them.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Look at http://www.cruiserrv.com/fun-finder-xtra/specifications.html, I have the XT245 and haul behind a 06 2500HD. Only problem is that the rear bed prevents a RZR-S to be loaded due to the height of the roll bar. These are designed to be towed behind smaller trucks. No problems with it so far. The tongue weight is 768 lbs for my model and they are reasonably priced.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Here's my 21ft Shockwave. I pull it with my 1/2 ton (08 GMC Sierra) and it does great! Fully loaded it's tipping the scale at about 8k lbs.

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
Good info since I want to buy a Toy Hauler too, still undecide if I want to get me a F250 or keep the F150

·
Registered
91 Posts
I have a 25' Forest river Cherokee. Its weighs 6200# dry. I tow it with my 06 F150 with a load leveling antisway bar setup. It does fine however if I had the oppertunity to do it over again I would go with the F250 Diesel for sure. I had the truck prior to the trailer otherwise i would have went with a larger Toy hauler.

·
Registered
687 Posts
Everyone always seems to forget about the brakes and trannies. The tranny can have a cooler added. But buying a larger brake setup is expensive. If your buying the truck first always go with the 3/4 or 1 ton. Why try to adapt the truck so much. Just buy the right one to begin with. I owned a 1/2 ton once! Never again! Everything I have besides the wifes 3/4 excursion diesel is a 1 ton. The pulling & stopping power is there and you don't have to do as much maintenance. I also live in Pittsburgh though and nothing is straight or level aound here.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Here's my 21ft Shockwave. I pull it with my 1/2 ton (08 GMC Sierra) and it does great! Fully loaded it's tipping the scale at about 8k lbs.
Mine's a 21' Shockwave front bedroom. I love it. I pull it with a half ton Titan. If I was buying a truck too it would be different but I had to live with what I had.

If you can buy more truck then you think you will need and buy more trailer than think you will need too. Certainly I was limited by the 1/2 ton I had but I did better than OK with the Shockwave BTW also by Forest River.

Eli

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
23' pulled by my 96 f350, works fine for me and the wife .we had the axles flipped and haven't had any problems with are pluming getting riped off and have a elc. front jack that helps out if you have a bad back,just somethings to think about enjoy

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I guess I need to road trip. California dealers have both the Shockwave and Sandstorm models and you can't get them here in the midwest.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts