Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This may be an odd question...but I have a decent GPS/map combo fish finder unit (577 humminbird if I recall) that I rarely use anymore)...Im getting my first RZR tomorrow likely, and just was curious if anyone else had ever tried such a thing....I figured perhaps the standard map function of the unit would do the trick just fine because it will record your track on the map...not sure if I can find either free or for $ another map progam that would work in the unit (it has an SD card slot).....

may be better to just get a little hand held gps unit if this will not work or fit well in my setup...but I think perhaps it will nicely...???

So damn psyched to get it tomorrow wohhoo :drive1:

·
Registered
64 Posts
I considered doing that with my lowrance. It ought to work well. It's water proof.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
208 Posts
Might be handy. Don't forget to snorkel your rzr first.:) I just use a handheld, no fish finding functions though.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
I used a Lowrance in the past. It worked awesome. Killed two birds with one stone. I pulled it out of the boat whenever I wasn't using the boat and it did accept the offroad maps. I have since sold the boat and the Lowrance went with it. If I buy another boat I plan to do it again though.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Lots of guys here use them for a gps, and then hook em up to a portable case for ice fishing when they get to thier spot on the ice.

Bruce

·
Banned
5,672 Posts
lots of members RZRs seem to end up in lakes.
You may need the fish part.
Those same guys always say they loaned it to a nephew or brother-in-law too and that person is good for it.
Sure.

·
Registered
281 Posts
It may be hard to find a land map set for that unit.
That's my concern - was hoping some may know one that is compatible....

Worst case I think I can use default map.... We shall see I guess
My last boat GPS didn't have road maps on it. It "sorta" did but only the LARGEST of roads were on it. Like interstates and stuff.

I ended up going to the GPSmap 478 that has a road mode that I use for the Jeep, RZR, snowmobiles and quads and hunting and a water mode I use for the boat. Slick as snot just wish it was a touch screen.

·
Banned
5,672 Posts
LOL, really?????????? I live north of the 49th, and we take our quads and pick ups on the ice.
good picture bruce forgot about ice -
took a spin out on the St. Croix River winter of '90 or so.
16' flatbed with 9' glass gas pumps strapped down.
couple power slides.
Ice fisherman up there don't look twice. They've seen better.

For the record:
E.Peoria is: 40° 39' 58" N / 89° 34' 48" W
Hudson Min is: 45.88°

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Best place to mount - not I do have a ram mount for it but likely may not be uselful depending on where mounted...

·
Registered
91 Posts
I use my humminbird with a lakemaster chip in it and it works great for me. I live in Minnesota, therefore I'm around a lot of water when riding but overall the unit does its job. I can see my trail and it works awesome for ice fishing and finding spots.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts