Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)

Went out to Rampart Range with some friends on Saturday for the maiden voyage! Less than two minutes in, trying to navigate a (we found out, NOT side by side ready trail) tight turn around a tree, got a tire high sided, tipped over. Verrrrry slowly. The leg injury is from going around the OTHER side of the RZR, and falling down a steep hill about 25 feet. Good times!! Managed to winch it forward, and my riding partners came back, helped us tip it back up, and continue on.

Some things of note - HOLY SHIT I'm so stoked that I went with the Click6 harness system. As we were laying there, it was super easy to undo, they sucked us both where we needed to be, etc etc.

The rest of the morning was pretty uneventful (no other crashes), however, the trail system up there is borked. They have signs posted for side by sides, then on the exit they're marked for atv/dirtbike only. It was a slow, white knuckle adventure for most of it. Had to back up a trail at one point because there was no way to pass between trees.

Managed to f*** up the roof (bent the aluminum) on numerous trees, as it was unavoidable. VERY tight navigating!

Overall, had a REALLY good time, even though it isn't a trail system I'll be going back to. The new tires were exceptional, the harness system did it's job, and holy guacamole this little RZR can really get up some crazy stuff!

·
Registered
6 Posts
View attachment 653834 View attachment 653835 View attachment 653836 View attachment 653837

Went out to Rampart Range with some friends on Saturday for the maiden voyage! Less than two minutes in, trying to navigate a (we found out, NOT side by side ready trail) tight turn around a tree, got a tire high sided, tipped over. Verrrrry slowly. The leg injury is from going around the OTHER side of the RZR, and falling down a steep hill about 25 feet. Good times!! Managed to winch it forward, and my riding partners came back, helped us tip it back up, and continue on.

Some things of note - HOLY SHIT I'm so stoked that I went with the Click6 harness system. As we were laying there, it was super easy to undo, they sucked us both where we needed to be, etc etc.

The rest of the morning was pretty uneventful (no other crashes), however, the trail system up there is borked. They have signs posted for side by sides, then on the exit they're marked for atv/dirtbike only. It was a slow, white knuckle adventure for most of it. Had to back up a trail at one point because there was no way to pass between trees.

Managed to fuck up the roof (bent the aluminum) on numerous trees, as it was unavoidable. VERY tight navigating!

Overall, had a REALLY good time, even though it isn't a trail system I'll be going back to. The new tires were exceptional, the harness system did it's job, and holy guacamole this little RZR can really get up some crazy stuff!
Love the look of your tires. Are you still 50" wide?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Love the look of your tires. Are you still 50" wide?
Thanks! I was doing a ton of research, just bought em. They're the Tusk Terrabites. 27x9", on the stock wheels. I haven't measured the exact width yet, but I did fit through the 50" gates. Well, that last pic is a "50 inch gate", but again, I didn't measure it. Coming out at a different point in the trail system, I rubbed on both sides, and made it through. If I had to guess, it's about 51 and 1/2" wide?

·
Registered
662 Posts
Been there done that. Sorry. If you dig into "articulation" a bit here on this forum, and into sway bar disconnects (I assume you have a sway bar) you'll find that information invaluable for future off camber events.

Personally, I now unhook my rear whenever I'm going through/over such things.

Best of luck to you!

·
Registered
90 Posts
First time out in my first SxS (Can Am X3) and within an hour of my first ride I laid the SxS on its side in a mud hole. I instinctively yanked the key to kill the engine and then dropped the key, somewhere... We searched for 30 minutes and never found the original key. Fortunately, I had a second key in the glove box. Lesson learned, all of my off-road vehicle keys now have floating key chains.

·
Premium Member
515 Posts
How bad was the beating from your wife? I still get reminded often about a very similar tip.
A year from now I'd bet there will be no white knuckles on the same trail.
Keep on getting on!

·
Registered
90 Posts
I still haven't heard the end of it! LOL But, It's all in good fun. My wife and I have the perfect relationship. About the time I start drinking, she takes over and drives the SxS. She does outstanding! But occasionally, we run across something that she's not comfortable with. I get us through the worst part and slip back into the passenger seat. To be clear, it's not liquid courage. I just see the trail differently and she absolutely hates off-cambers. Admittedly, I kinda enjoy the beatings. Too much information? LOL

·
Registered
268 Posts
First time out in my RS1 rolled it twice down a hill. Back tire fell in a rut and off she went. Just a freak accident as the trail wasn't even technical but the grass was tall. I was able to stop before it rolled but trying to get it to stop teeter tottering didn't work. I had my seat belt on and wasn't hurt but I bent the aluminum roof, radius arm, wheel, and cracked a bunch of plastic. Got everything fixed and now ride with a harness. Good thing I was in a single seater because I guarantee my wife would have broke me like I did the ride.

·
Registered
268 Posts
I also let my wife drive the family truckster (4 seater). I get to point things out to the kids that way. Sometimes its nice to sit back relax and have a beverage while she drives. Also keeps her interested so sometimes she even buys stuff for it. I think she is getting a cab system for next winter.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Been there done that. Sorry. If you dig into "articulation" a bit here on this forum, and into sway bar disconnects (I assume you have a sway bar) you'll find that information invaluable for future off camber events.

Personally, I now unhook my rear whenever I'm going through/over such things.

Best of luck to you!
Thanks for this...I'll do some checking into it! The biggest problem, was not knowing my machine well enough, and making the (somewhat stupid) decision to go on trails that weren't REALLY designed for it. Had I chosen to get to know it on some more "tame" stuff, I might have avoided it! Regardless, it all happens for a reason, and now I know what it feels like to tip, some of the finer points of where the weight distribution lies, etc etc. All good for now!!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
How bad was the beating from your wife? I still get reminded often about a very similar tip.
A year from now I'd bet there will be no white knuckles on the same trail.
Keep on getting on!
Wellll, thankfully she (not my wife, just a neighbor, maybe a GF at some point :D ) has a pretty solid sense of humor. I was going around to help her out, when I went ass over teakettle down the hill, so she popped up, saw me down there (made sure I didn't break anything), and proceeded to laugh her ass off. Thank God she didn't get hurt!!

·
Registered
268 Posts
Nice to have someone to be concerned for you. On our guy trips, I'm pretty sure you'd have to be half dead before anyone gave you a second thought. Unless they were out of beer or ice and your cooler is still stocked.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts