Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We took our RZR out for the first time this weekend, we had a great time but learned quite a bit.

We had some ideas of things we wanted to get but the ride really put something on my list that I did not think I'd get, a full belly skid plate. Ground clearance was an issue at times where we rode at Carolina Adventure World in SC.

We sure do want to get a roof to keep the sun off us, at least during the wamer times of year. I also noticed how much water and mud came in from UNDER the front 'hood' area. Guess I'll be closing up those gaps and seams.

Two things I noticed I didn't like about the whole experience.

1) at some point you have to leave to go home
2) cleaning is a long process and there seems to be an art about doing it

-John

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
sounds like a great time, and you have caught the bug!

·
Registered
6,288 Posts
..........Gound clearance was an issue ..................I also noticed how much water and mud came in from UNDER the front 'hood' area. Guess I'll be closing up those gaps and seams.
John, Look into the Racer Tech 2" lift for your RZR. Nice kit. Lots of good reviews here. I've seen them installed. Great for a little extra lift and really well built. Looks like it gives some strength to the frame. Not sure if you have a standard RZR or an S. I drove a standard with the 2" lift. Nice, relatively inexpensive addition.

As far as the gaps, I've read and seen some ads about filling those gaps. Not sure where though.....Somebody must have the under-dash gap kit.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Polaris has them but they are ridiculously priced for what they are. I think I remember a post on here where somebody used pool noodles w/ good luck.

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
Now that you have the bug...

I would get the Cooter Brown roof vs the Polaris - the Polaris curves in so you can get soaked on your side if it rains

Depends if you have the standard or the S, if standard get new rims / tires when you can the stock ones are a joke.

·
Registered
2,051 Posts
Their is a huge gap between the firewall and body I sealed mine up with a quick fix cheap method
You should see the snow that comes through that gap :)

If you had water coming through that gap pull the cover off your fuse box and see if it got wet inside, that fuse box is something that would be better suited under the dash of a modern automobile not out in the elements of off road, my RZR has not been through water yet but you should have seen the cloud of dust that came out of my fuse box when I blew it out with compressed air.

·
'09 Nuclear Sunset Orange
463 Posts
CAW was my first paid trails to ride on.:)

I need to buy a set of those block off plastics for sizes. Then I would see if they could be made reasonably and beat Polaris's prices.

·
Registered
2,511 Posts
any time i go to CAW i'm not worried about the mud and water coming through the dash. I get covered with so much mud already being thrown by the tires and coming up over the seats. I had front and rear windshields and a top on mine but i took the windshields off because instead of just being covered in mud, with the windshields you're covered with mud and cant see out the front or back either.

·
In His service!
357 Posts
For blocking off the gap I used 4" square foam for a/c sealing for the winter. walmart??? or home depot???

·
Registered
6,288 Posts
For blocking off the gap I used 4" square foam for a/c sealing for the winter. walmart??? or home depot???
I wonder if you could carefully (very carefully) use urethane spray foam insulation (big gap filler) to fill this void successfully? If you coat the areas around the gap with Vaseline the foam won't stick to it. Big box stores have the professional cans that are much easier to control than the disposable "Great Stuff" can with plastic straw. It will stick to ANYTHING else it comes in contact with (hair, skin, plastic). Once it cures and you clean off the Vaseline and dried foam, you can carve or shave what's left, then paint it. You'd have to be super careful you didn't get the crap on anything....put down lots of protection on the floors. It's nasty. If you took your time prepping the area it could look really good when painted and be water and air tight. Only thing that really breaks it down is UV light.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Their is a huge gap between the firewall and body I sealed mine up with a quick fix cheap method [You should see the snow that comes through that gap :)

If you had water coming through that gap pull the cover off your fuse box and see if it got wet inside, that fuse box is something that would be better suited under the dash of a modern automobile not out in the elements of off road, my RZR has not been through water yet but you should have seen the cloud of dust that came out of my fuse box when I blew it out with compressed air.
That was very well done and made me happy.

Dunno if the RZR has the same prob as the RZRs but I imagine it must.

Ya almost made me leave my air conditioned living room on my leather couch watching Scrappers on Spike while on my seventh beer aftah doing a whole lotta mods on my RZR today being wicked tired.

But I am only getting up to get a beer and I will look at my RZR tomorra

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
We sure have caught the bug. I'll only be looking at third party add-ons, Polaris is going to charge too much I'm sure. We do want to get a hard top, should be more durable and I want to have an 'interior' light as well as a place to tuck up some speakers for MP3 player play back.

Clean up was a pain on Sunday even though I did spend time at the CAW (Carolina Adventure World) spray booths. I'm sure seat replacement will be on the list as well. We have a 'trunk/cooler' setup as well, that worked out good but it will be in my way for hunting unless I can figure out another way to carry gear and guns.

--John

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
CAW was my first paid trails to ride on.:)

I need to buy a set of those block off plastics for sizes. Then I would see if they could be made reasonably and beat Polaris's prices.
Where else do you ride? I have been looking for places, especially that are UTV friendly in NC and SC. I know I'll go up to Hatfield and McCoys in WV some time in the future to ride their trails. I'm not much into rocks, mud is fun, sand would be fun. Trying to find place to ride in the Asheville/Black Mountain/Weaverville areas.

--John

·
mudweiser-z71
379 Posts
welcome to the fun ncrzr..
i live in gaffney SC. i have been to caw several times. i would have to say the mods i made to my rzr made it much better for those type of trails.
A lift kit and some more aggressive tires is a must....

lets get together and ride some time.....mudd

·
Premium Member
4,381 Posts
I remember the first time we hit fairly deep water in the RZR, my wife's shoes started to fill up and she screeched (she's not a river rat like the rest of the family) and in trying to get her feet up to a spot drier than her footwell was, she smashed down on my throttle foot and the wall of water got a lot worse when the speed picked up. I was laughing so hard I couldn't tell her to get her foot off mine. Afterward, we all had a good laugh but she was in that "you need to fix that" mode.

I will hon, soon as we get home. :rofl3:

·
Premium Member
568 Posts
I had a block off kit from Trail Armor on my O9 and it worked pretty well but I think a lot of the dust comes in under the seats as well. Have a Cooter Brown top on the 2010 and really like it. It has two rain troughs on it to push water to the front. Of course if you don't have a full windshield it will dump water onto the dash as all the tops will do that. It also has a dome light with it.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts