Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took the Razor out for a 24 mile ride yesterday and thought I'd write my review of the new Razor.

The good:

After riding an ATV for the last couple of years, the experience in a Razor does take a little bit to get used to. I can't get over the feeling of sitting IN something instead of ON something. It's not a bad feeling, just a different feeling. There is a feeling of being much better protected.

In my ATV, I would often times feel, in off camber situations, that I could tip at any moment. Those feelings are almost gone while in the razor. Now granted, these are not terribly bad off camber situations, but still, there is a much more stable feeling in Razor.

It's just so easy now to ride and enjoy things. Usually at the end of a long ride in the ATV, I'd feel some fatigue from riding on the bike and being a little hunkered over, or my hands would have a little pain in them....simple things, but those things are gone now. I felt no fatigue whatsoever from riding the Razor.

The disappointing:

I drug the undercarriage numerous times. It because such a concern for me that I'd constantly find myself seeking out the route where I felt like there'd be no chance to drag. That was frustrating and I am working now to see what my best solution would be.

The ride on it was not as good as I had hoped for. On gravel roads and so forth, there is no issue, but on hard packed uneven dirt trails, you can have some really hard "hits." Again, I am looking for solutions to solve that issue, too.

But overall, I was very pleased with Razor and if the reliability is great on it, then I feel like I will have made an excellent choice.

·
Registered
59 Posts
You don't say what model you have but I'm guessing because of your "disappointing" comments you probably have a 50".
The answer is new springs. Several options out there so do a search here for answers but I guarantee a set of progressive springs will make you believe you're in a totally different machine.
Try disconnecting the front sway bar after you install the new springs too.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Yep I agree with 575. I sold my stock tires and purchased 4 new Maxxas 26x9x12 and progressive springs all the way around. Your std spring is rated @ 100 lbs per spring the progressives are 200 front and either 225 or 250 in the rear. If your going to add a spare tire gas can and tool box go with the 250 lb spring in the rear. I could have went with 27x9x12 that would have gave me another 1/2 to 3/4 inch of clearance. over all I went from a little over 9 inches to a little over 12 and zero sag in the springs.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Yep I agree with 575. I sold my stock tires and purchased 4 new Maxxas 26x9x12 and progressive springs all the way around. Your std spring is rated @ 100 lbs per spring the progressives are 200 front and either 225 or 250 in the rear. If your going to add a spare tire gas can and tool box go with the 250 lb spring in the rear. I could have went with 27x9x12 that would have gave me another 1/2 to 3/4 inch of clearance. over all I went from a little over 9 inches to a little over 12 and zero sag in the springs.
Planning the same thing with tires soon and was curios if you stayed with stock wheels?

·
Registered
208 Posts
Look at the ltr450 yz shock mod. I went that route and am very happy with it. Haven't bottomed once yet. Nice smooth ride. Good luck.

·
Premium Member
1,363 Posts
I put a 2 inch race tech lift kit on mine and the ride improved a lot. It relocates the shocks to a more upright position making the shocks work better. It will also get rid of a lot of the bottom scraping. Unhooking the sway bars will also improve the ride. you can start by trying just the front sway bar and see how you like it.If you have a 2013 rzr you already have progressive rate springs.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I put a 2 inch race tech lift kit on mine and the ride improved a lot. It relocates the shocks to a more upright position making the shocks work better. It will also get rid of a lot of the bottom scraping. Unhooking the sway bars will also improve the ride. you can start by trying just the front sway bar and see how you like it.If you have a 2013 rzr you already have progressive rate springs.
I have a 2012 LE

That is one of my options I am considering. I have been ALL OVER THE MAP in my thinking. I think about buying just new springs, but then, once I do, then I am afraid I wish I would have bought the new shocks, and so then I freeze myself and paralyze my decision making process.

I want to keep the wheels that I have plus put on a little wider/taller tire, but then I am afraid to hit the motor mount......I'm all over the place in my thinking...LOL.

Ultimately, I will probably remove the sway bar, though.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I have a 2012 LE

That is one of my options I am considering. I have been ALL OVER THE MAP in my thinking. I think about buying just new springs, but then, once I do, then I am afraid I wish I would have bought the new shocks, and so then I freeze myself and paralyze my decision making process.

I want to keep the wheels that I have plus put on a little wider/taller tire, but then I am afraid to hit the motor mount......I'm all over the place in my thinking...LOL.

Ultimately, I will probably remove the sway bar, though.
For me springs were enough. I got lift with a better ride and load carrying for all day rides with coolers and packs on mountain trails and through the desert.
You may need something different though and any of the vendors on the this site will be glad to talk to you and help with your setup.
They have a lot of experience setting these machines up so make a few phone calls.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
I have Makn-trax springs and although the ride is better the ride on my wifes Sportsman 800 has the superior ride. However, I can ride in the RZR a whole bunch longer than I ever could ride my Sportsman. Just a more comfortable and normal riding position. I am thinking about airing down my tires lower than the norm.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts