Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
6,288 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Traveled 57 miles today. What a blast! It feels like she's starting to loosening up a bit. I could have done another 57 miles and the guys on ATVs were totally spent by 8pm. It was hilarious how easy it was to stay right on their a$$ on the trials, without a lot of effort. It takes ruts and pretty big bumps without a flinch. I love how the 60" S rides outside the beaten ATV trails. Some of the riders were desperately trying to keep up with me. I had to back off so I wasn't indirectly responsible for killing one of them :) They were on the literal brink trying to keep it on the trails. I was laughing as they would skid around corners on two wheels, nearly hitting rocks and trees with the brakes on, while the RZR just cut in like it was on rails. I was really impressed with the power, speed and smoothness. I could NEVER go back to ATV only. I don't think I'd even ride an ATV again if I owned one. Love this thing!

·
Registered
910 Posts
Yep that's how most people feel after 1st time out. They are so much fun , right out of the box! I was hooked after driving my buddies 's' for about 20 miles!

·
Registered
916 Posts
Thats how I feel when I ride with friends on the trails. Its great to see how wore out they are at the end of the day

·
Registered
509 Posts
I have been wanting a RZR since is was 10 and I am now 50 it sure took a while for someone to build it.

When I was 10 I had a go-cart with no motor or brakes I would drag it up our step gravel driveway for 30 minutes just to glide it down for a 30 second ride. A little further up the hill each time until I found the too far point with no brakes LOL.
Mike

·
Registered
65 Posts
It took a 5 minute ride at the dunes on a RZR4 and I was at the dealership buying an S 2 weeks later! I'll never give up the Raptor but you'll have to pry the RZR from my cold dead hands!

·
Premium Member
1,467 Posts
That is awesome, glad you had a good ride. Our longest, ride in a day has been around 100 miles. Now I've just got a stock 2010 RZR , with Bilstien shocks so I have know idea how it compares to an S model. Is the S model that much better in the trails ? We usually ride with some ATV's as well, a 450F , 660 Raptor, Banshee and a single seat homebuilt buggie with a GSXR1000 motor in it and we are know where near keeping up with the ATV's and the Buggie is LONG gone. The trails are mostly sandy/dirt (northern michigan) .

·
Registered
4,604 Posts
I have not rode a quad since I got my RZR:ride: and dont plan on riding one any-time soon...

·
Registered
6,288 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
178 post and this was your first ride ... congrats on taking it out
?????? You're monitoring my post count against the time I was able to pick up my '11. OK. Yeah, 178 posts BEFORE I was able to put together my killer deal for my new rig. Too bad for you. I guess you got some time on your hands there Johnny.

·
Registered
6,288 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
That is awesome, glad you had a good ride. Our longest, ride in a day has been around 100 miles. Now I've just got a stock 2010 RZR , with Bilstien shocks so I have know idea how it compares to an S model. Is the S model that much better in the trails ? We usually ride with some ATV's as well, a 450F , 660 Raptor, Banshee and a single seat homebuilt buggie with a GSXR1000 motor in it and we are know where near keeping up with the ATV's and the Buggie is LONG gone. The trails are mostly sandy/dirt (northern michigan) .
Cool. Some friends and I have a 120 mile round trip planned for the 26th of Sept. We're hoping to go the distance in about 10 hours with stops. Triai is nasty in some places and nice and open in others. We'll see....might be coming home in the dark :ride:

·
Registered
6,288 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
I don't know about a standard vs. S compare either.....but I have ridden both, and liked both. Hard not to like these things. Certainly standard version can go more places with tight trails, but it also seems a lot more tippy to me. I like the wide stance and the Fox suspension. Personally I'll forgo the tightest trails for more open and faster stuff. I'm kind of tired of crawling around at 2mph. I really enjoy the high speed rips and this S just soaks it up. I can just fly over things that I would slow way down for on my ATV. I watch utility ATVs (Grizz, etc.) ahead of me and can clearly see how unstable they are, in comparison. I watched a friend take the S across a field the other day and it was really cool watching the suspension soak up the bumps and dips. They were laughing and smiling the whole time. One of them cursed me for introducing RZRs to the mix. They were happy with their machines until I showed up with this thing :) -So anyway, I don't know. They all seem to rock and people love what they have. Sounds like you've got a nice ride with your listed setup.

·
Premium Member
1,467 Posts
I don't know about a standard vs. S compare either.....but I have ridden both, and liked both. Hard not to like these things. Certainly standard version can go more places with tight trails, but it also seems a lot more tippy to me. I like the wide stance and the Fox suspension. Personally I'll forgo the tightest trails for more open and faster stuff. I'm kind of tired of crawling around at 2mph. I really enjoy the high speed rips and this S just soaks it up. I can just fly over things that I would slow way down for on my ATV. I watch utility ATVs (Grizz, etc.) ahead of me and can clearly see how unstable they are, in comparison. I watched a friend take the S across a field the other day and it was really cool watching the suspension soak up the bumps and dips. They were laughing and smiling the whole time. One of them cursed me for introducing RZRs to the mix. They were happy with their machines until I showed up with this thing :) -So anyway, I don't know. They all seem to rock and people love what they have. Sounds like you've got a nice ride with your listed setup.
We don't ride the tight technical trails either, most of our trails are 2 tracks or snowmobile trails. These things are definetly an addiction. Hopefully next year I can add a Zbros +2 suspension to it.

·
Registered
5,686 Posts
The Rzr is totally addicting. I got my parents and a couple friends into them. It just took one ride and it was over. I further got addicted when I drove a turbo and weber Rzr's. They are a blast even in completely stock form.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Congrats!

The RZRs are just made for these long trail rides. My typical day is about 100-120 miles, through the wide-open Johnson Valley in Southern California.

My longest ride ended up at about 160-odd miles. That was from Anderson Dry Lake on the very western edge of Johnson Valley northeast over East Ord Mtn, across the I-40 (it was fun finding a culvert big enough to cross under it, but eventually we did) then east to Ludlow, CA. There, we snuck into the Diary Queen for lunch without attracting too much attention, and even gassed up. We explored some old mines in the area, then headed back. Most of this running was a combination of pipeline and powerline service roads, which are fast and fun.

I hear there is a route from Barstow to Stateline, NV, and Google Earth indicates a powerline road goes all the way.... that's a trip I would like to make one day! :ride:

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
I gave up on ATVs when I got my 08, now that I have a S just no comparison. We do trails we never would have attempted on atvs and have fun doing them. The cage / stability is giving me a confidence boost and every now and again we have to remind ourselves not to do anything stupid that might tear up the machine or ourselves.

Welcome to the fever! Now go pimp your ride...

·
Registered
6,288 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Congrats!

The RZRs are just made for these long trail rides. My typical day is about 100-120 miles, through the wide-open Johnson Valley in Southern California.

My longest ride ended up at about 160-odd miles. That was from Anderson Dry Lake on the very western edge of Johnson Valley northeast over East Ord Mtn, across the I-40 (it was fun finding a culvert big enough to cross under it, but eventually we did) then east to Ludlow, CA. There, we snuck into the Diary Queen for lunch without attracting too much attention, and even gassed up. We explored some old mines in the area, then headed back. Most of this running was a combination of pipeline and powerline service roads, which are fast and fun.

I hear there is a route from Barstow to Stateline, NV, and Google Earth indicates a powerline road goes all the way.... that's a trip I would like to make one day! :ride:
Motley....That sounds like a blast. I'm thinking I might have my machine shipped out to CA, the fly out and ride for a week or two. If I could just lose this pesky job, I'd be all set. :) -Seriously though, the thoughts of returning (used to live in Placer Co. and San Fran) to CA. with said machine drives me nuts. I used to ride Tahoe area on a Husky WR 430. Lots of fun at high speeds out West. Not a lot of that in the rock / tree filled East.

Just hearing and thinking about the West makes me want to pack up.....Love the West. East is sweet too. We got a nice piece of property in these United States.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts