Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, just did my first change of all my fluids. I c y dealership charges so much. Do know if it was my first time doing this on a RZR r what. Do y'all drop skid plate ? Next time I will ! I can't stand a oily mess! That's what it was a dripping mess. Dropping skid my b more wk but no mess on floor. U think they could have put filter r motor mount not next to each other ! Sorry, had to vent !! LOL next time going to have a couple of beers also ..... Ha

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It WILL b off next time !!! LOL. thanks

·
6skinner
1,231 Posts
If you have a winch, winch it up a tree to take the skid plate off, much easier.

Now that I'm sitting around 16-17" of clearance it's easier, but stock it can be a pain to get it back on.

·
Registered
7,294 Posts
If you raise the front of the RZR about 8" the oil filter will drain back into the motor. Then you can remove it, and put the new filter on.

Then lower the front end and drain the oil.

Be sure to have a new copper/aluminum Polaris oil drain plug gasket, you'll want it!

Oh, and for heaven's sake just use a 3/8" ratchet to loosen the drain plug, then use the socket and extension to finish unscrewing it. Same for putting in back in. Put the new gasket on, use the socket and extension to screw the drain plug back in to finger tight, then torque to (I think) 18 ft lbs. Too many use too much force, an air ratchet....and POOF...there go the threads in the oil pan!!!!

To eliminate problems with the horizontal oil filter, check out Ultimate SXS oil filter relocation kit. I have mine on the left side of the upper frame, mounted vertical. No mess removing it and I can fill the new, larger, oil filter with fresh oil and screw it on. Works great and increases oil capacity by 1/2 quart!!

Pirate

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks, Stuart. that's some good ideas !!!

·
Registered
7,294 Posts
You are most welcome. Fortunately I learned about stripped oil drain plug threads on the forum...didn't have to learn that lesson the hard way!!!

Pirate

·
I am still 16 in my head!
1,947 Posts
If you do drop your Skids next time around. Clean the area's around the drain holes, and then build a circle around them top side with some JB Weld or something that will stick. Then there will be no dripping mess, or it running down the Skid Plates to another hole. You are creating a dam around the hole in the skid in essence. Works good.

And I like Stuarts suggestion about the Relocating Kit and addding another 1/2 quart to the system. I am going to look into that for sure.

·
Just kidding!
10,757 Posts
If you take the skid off that many times the holes are going to strip. You might as well plan to put in nutserts or rivnuts. I wish polaris did this from the factory.

·
Registered
4,939 Posts
If you take the skid off that many times the holes are going to strip. You might as well plan to put in nutserts or rivnuts. I wish polaris did this from the factory.
x2

·
Registered
7,294 Posts
Yup, removing the skid is something I do twice a year, at mid-season and at end-of-season to clean all the junk out.

Take your time installing the skid bolts, use a little anti-sieze on them, don't use a powered tool to install the bolts...and they should last!

JMO

Pirate

·
Registered
7,135 Posts
I have a compact floor jack that I slip under my skid plate. Raise it up and start 4-5 screws, then pull the jack out and finish it up.

·
Registered
117 Posts
did mine last night

1. drill out your skid plate hole and make it bigger so it doesnt drip all over the place, it worked very well for me, no mess at all.

2. slide a plastic sack underneath the oil filer and engine area, try to lift the front of the rzr and get the filter completely drained. then the sack will catch the little bit of oil left over when you remove the filter.

·
Registered
572 Posts
I don't know why this always such a big deal. The oil filter is not in a bad place, get the proper cup wrench and the problem is solved. As for the oil in the skid plate...use a little brake cleaner and hit it with the pressure washer when you are done. Believe me this is by far not the messiest thing I change oil on.

·
Family, it's about time
1,503 Posts
View attachment 59009
Here was my solution!!
I do a similar thing using a water bottle. If you buy bottled water much you always have them around. They make great funnels once you cut the back off. For draining the oil cut it pretty short and push it through the skid plate with the cut end up and the neck sticking through the skid. The Allen wrench and extension fit through the neck of the bottle nicely. No mess and you just toss your oily funnel in the garbage when you're done.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts