Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, well it had to happen eventually. Was out riding this weekend and when I returned home and started cleaning things up I noticed the passenger right rear tire was low. Checked again this morning and still enough air to ride, but, visually low. What is the best repair for this tire? Slime or some other tire sealer or remove and take to tire shop to have it repaired?

Thanks in advance for your advice!

·
Registered
3,733 Posts
Hello all, well it had to happen eventually. Was out riding this weekend and when I returned home and started cleaning things up I noticed the passenger right rear tire was low. Checked again this morning and still enough air to ride, but, visually low. What is the best repair for this tire? Slime or some other tire sealer or remove and take to tire shop to have it repaired?
If it's just a puncture, and not a tear, then plug it. You should probably carry a Plug-Kit with you when you're riding, along with a method for inflation (or a spare-tire); walking back from the boon-tuley's is no fun.........LOL.

Cheers

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
If it's just a puncture, and not a tear, then plug it. You should probably carry a Plug-Kit with you when you're riding, along with a method for inflation (or a spare-tire); walking back from the boon-tuley's is no fun.........LOL.

Cheers
X2. Don't slime it. That crap makes a mess.

·
Registered
208 Posts
I probably shouldn't say this, will probably have a flat next week. Slimed mine three thousand miles ago and no flats.. Ride Hatfield Mccoy and outlaw trails. Bighorns.

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
slim makes a mess and doesnt work, im telling you from lots of experience of seeing slim in tires, get yourself a plug kit and some kind of c02 inflation kit, or like suggested even a spare tire

·
I am still 16 in my head!
1,947 Posts
dont slim it unless you are out in the middle of no where and its an emergency. Just worm it and be done with it
Good advice. When Rigs come to me with Slim in them. It is $20 to clean the mess. Or I will break it down and the owner can take it to the local Car Wash. I do agree though to use it when in a emeregency to get back, IF you cannot get plugs to hold.

I have had holes in tires so big that we had to use Medic Gloves to stuff in the hole to get home with. I carry a dozen in the Rig with me when we go out. They keep your hands clean on repairs and as I said, can be used to fill up big gashes.

We had a Tire on a Jeep one time that we had to use a roll of Plastic Wrap to get it home, roll it up, scrunch it up and mashed into the tire, the spare tire would not come off the rack because of a lock and forgoten Key!

·
Registered
601 Posts
^ I have jammed sticks in the sidewall along with the worms and worked great for 12 plus miles to get back to camp. Basically anything that you can stuff in the hole or gash, will work as long as it holds air. I have even jammed a screw driver in the tire where the handle is sticking out and it worked ok.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the input, guess ill take the tire to a shop and have them repair it. I do carry Slime, plugs, and a portable compressior at all times. It appears that this hole is very small since it is still holding air, so, i am not sure i can get a plug in and i dont want to make the hole any bigger.

·
Registered
7,290 Posts
A plug won't really make the hole much bigger. Unless the tire shop is going to put a vulcanized patch on the inside, the plug is probably better!!

Think about carrying a small an of starting fluid (NAPA sells 'em) and some strike anywhere kitchen matches if you need to reseat a bead.

JMO

Pirate

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
If you have an American (Discount) Tire store near you they have plug patches that work great. It's actually plug attached to a patch that they put on from the inside of the tire. Works great.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Just use the cheap tire plugs. I had a pin hole on mine reamed it out fed it a plug and it outlasted the tire. If you have stock aluminum rims, i would carry a spare. I have cracked 2 rims in the last 3 months. Now i run itp steel.

·
I am still 16 in my head!
1,947 Posts
A plug won't really make the hole much bigger. Unless the tire shop is going to put a vulcanized patch on the inside, the plug is probably better!!

Think about carrying a small an of starting fluid (NAPA sells 'em) and some strike anywhere kitchen matches if you need to reseat a bead.

JMO

Pirate
Ahhhhh I forgot the Starting Fluid. Good catch. It works great.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Dont forget to remove the valve stem before you ether a tire. If not it will rapidly inflate then pop back off the bead.

·
Registered
7,290 Posts
If you carry starting fluid...and I do...remember that if you carry in a Lock N Ride box or some other cargo box...make sure there is stuff between it and the bottom. Unfortunately, if the can is on the bottom motor and exhaust heat can get hot enough to rupture the can. And you don't want that to happen!!!

Pirate

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1347935671.260355.jpg

Cool pic right as the ether took fire inside the tire. Hit a mud hole hard and popped it off the bead.

·
Registered
3,733 Posts
If you carry starting fluid...and I do...remember that if you carry in a Lock N Ride box or some other cargo box...make sure there is stuff between it and the bottom. Unfortunately, if the can is on the bottom motor and exhaust heat can get hot enough to rupture the can. And you don't want that to happen!!!
Is that experience speaking, Pirate?........LOL.

Cheers

·
Registered
7,290 Posts
BarRZR,

well, not exactly. Along with the small can of starting fluid, I carry a small can of Blaster, a can of carb cleaner and a "can of air", like that used for cleaning computer keyboards.

After struggling to clean out spark plug pockets in the middle of nowhere. I figured the carb cleaner would loosen all the debris in the pocket, the canned air would help blast it out of the pocket.

Labor Day, we were out by ourselves, took a couple of minute stop for pictures, left the engine idling (bad), when we got back in the RZR...BANG...just like a gunshot. WOW...hopped out, vapor coming from the bed....let things cool for a bit.

Well...bed got so hot the UTV Inc. bed plate wilted, the Lock N Ride box melted and the "can of air" exploded. Blew the latch off the Lock N Ride box, blew my service manual and winch kit clear out of the box and on the ground...

OK...so have spent $800 on the new Muzzys head pipes that go down away from the bed, bought exhaust wrap for the new exhaust system, bought a new UTV Inc. bed plate and a large sheet of Therma-Tec 13590. Put it on the bottom of the bed plate and the inside of the new Muzzys heat shield. Replaced the old reflective barrier on the bottom of the original Muzzys heat shield. Making 3/8" spacers for the Lock N Ride clamps to raise the new Lock N Ride box up off the UTV bed plate.

And plan to keep the spray cans up off the bottom of the new Lock N Ride box and on top of something that acts as an insulator. Say the winch kit, the Power Tank kit, my folding shovel in its box.

I hate to think of what would have happened if it was the starting fluid, Blaster or carb cleaner than had exploded.....

Yup, experience speaking!!

Pirate

1 - 20 of 21 Posts