Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Can't 'Member.
701 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I finally got the cage installed on this thing, try as I might the builder could not come up with a solution to the great dash removal problem that us Turbo S folks fight that didn't drive my OCD crazy. So...I am going to design and build a fixture to slide into my engine hoist that will be purpose built to lift the cage without gathering 3 or 4 friends to help. I am sorta persnickety with wiring and such and will want to be under there a couple times a year. That fixture will have to wait til I can get some steel in but I have a general idea rolling around in my noggin.
Other than that I am happy with the product. It was built to fit my height, 6'3"-1/2, and is clsoe to stock height but doesn't look bad. I wanted uniform tube diameter so it is all 1.75 on the main structure, wanted the x brace and a solo intrusion bar, there is a bar in the center of the roof that follows the line of the intrusion bar. 1/4 turn Dzus fasteners on the roof.
Many thanks to those who did who did the legwork finding the powder that matches Polaris Indy Red. It is Prismatic Powders Flame Red PSS 5082. The color is extremely close, the first pic is pretty true to color, the sun did something and added orange to the other shot, dunno why.
I had a hell of a time with the builder. If you are in Northern California and looking at a custom cage and want to hear my story send me a PM. I needed a specific cage due to height and I wanted a face to face with the builder to make damn sure it was right. He builds a nice product, but it it was a rough road to get there. We will leave it at that.
Down the road I plan to put the same color on the doors and then do a partial wrap that will give an old school hot rod flavor to the car, as I am an old school hot rodder. I am probably going to build a light bar ala' Rzr Joe. I am saving my pennies for the lights now. Next is a set of paddles, think I have settled on the SS360's.

One last note...if you are looking to match the pearl black on the hood of this car that is alos on a lot of other cars, including my old Pearl Black LE 2014, XP, I called Prismatic colors and talked to a very nice lady in their color match dept. She has had this question before. Here is some info, call Prismatic powders and get samples of the following colors.
-Heavy Black Metallic
-Black Metallic
-Crystal Metallic
-Pearl Black

I have some pieces I want to do, the windshield frame and the roof. I want to carry the pearl color up the front of the car. I am torn on which one of these to go with. Anyaway couple of pics.

Attachments

·
Can't 'Member.
701 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you!

·
Premium Member
1,389 Posts
why not weld in bungs to the dash bar so it can be unbolted

·
Premium Member
334 Posts
PaulK

why not weld in bungs to the dash bar so it can be unbolted
That is a great idea.

If I would have known how much of a pain it is to remove the dash I would have had that done to my cage. I did find a solution to removing the dash though. I just remove the lower dash panel first. It is only 4 T40 bolts and two bolts that hold on the Ride Command screen. Once that is removed it is pretty easy to remove the top dash piece.

FBT

When I bought my Turbo S at Abernathy's I happened to stop by http://www.offroadbeast.com/ to return some suspension parts I had ordered but no longer needed. Justin Pierpoint the owner suggested I have him build me a cage in lieu of a refund. He sat down with me and showed me all of his cage designs. Once a design was chosen he asked if I wanted any modifications. I had him change the height from a 6" drop to a 2" drop as I am 6'2" tall and wanted to make sure I had enough height. I had him add some light bar tabs and on the front and back and also some grab handles in the front corners of the A pillars. I drove back through there on my way home and picked up the finished cage. I could have not asked for a better experience with a fabricator. Everyone at ORB was awesome to work with. I spent several hours there just talking to everyone and checking out their operation. To anyone looking to get a cage made or any other fabricated parts look at ORB.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
334 Posts
FBT What doors are those on your machine. How do they fit and are there any big gaps at the bottom edge.

·
Can't 'Member.
701 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks guys for the takes...
No offense to the guys who have done it but I don't like the bungs in the crossbar look. As I said, I am sorta persnickety, and it would have required a bung in the intrusion bar as well. I have used those exact pieces on another project, they are well made for sure.
The doors came from Dirt Engineered if memory serves correctly, I moved them from my 14 over to this car when I bought it I really like them. They fit well. Not watertight, but well. Adjustment is critical for them to operate correctly, I am still working on that since moving them over.
Nice to know about ORB.
I am in rural Northern California and wanted to go face to face with the builder so he could see the height issue I had, with me planted in the seat. And I wanted to see his welds, LOL. The PRP seats, when installed on the sliders raise the bottom of the seat a bit as well. I am short legged and have a longer torso, so height was critical. I wear a helmet frequently as well.
I am very happy with the product other than the issues I spoke of. He is a goof fabricator. That isn't the problem.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Not sure on how often you plan on lifting it.... but my cage builder had a winch mounted to his ceiling. Used a short strap around the cage hooked to the winch. It was cake to lift the cage and roll the buggy under it and sit it down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
334 Posts
I found taking the front dash off is way easier than taking the cage off. On my cage it is a pain to put back on as the B pillars don't quite line up and have to be manipulated into place. The front dash piece is only held on by 6 T40's and can be easily taken off and tilted forward. You have to remove the 2 10mm bolts holding on the Ride Command unit but that is pretty easy also. Once you have all the bolts out. Take out the little storage box above the T handle. Push to top dash towards the front of the car and then tilt the front dash back towards the seat.. Then you can push the dash top towards the seats and remove it from the passenger side first. Believe me this is much easier than taking the cage off. I have a lot of stuff mounted to my cage and wiring zip tied to it. Removing it is a pain in the A$$. I have had my dash top off more times then I can remember. I finally got tired of all that work and made me a custom electrical panel and mounted it in the cab so I don't ever have to take the dash top off again.

·
Can't 'Member.
701 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Edge I appreciate that detailed description very much. I will make a run at it tomorrow. I would much prefer to do this rather than lift the cage for all the reasons you mentioned.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts