Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

RZR 1000 Rocks and Trails or General XP Ride Command?

• General XP Ride Command

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in the market for a new buggy,, and am torn between RZR 1000 Rocks and Trails or General XP Ride Command.... Currently have a tricked out '17 RZR900 LE Trail, love the machine but soon to replace with a '21. Any thoughts on these choices? Thanks all!!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Depends on what you ride and how you ride.

If you are more into just riding, the rock and trails would be the way to go. Plus the low gear is perfect for the rocky climbs and rough stuff.

If you need something to work with around the farm or go hunting in or just haul camping gear for long trail ride trips the General would be the better one.

From my experience with them both. They are both good machines it's just what you need and what you want to do with it.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
109 Posts
It's depends if rocks and hard technical trails is more your focus vs general (😜) trail riding is more what you do. The general has a nice factory full cab option the rzr don't have. The general xp is an upgrade from your 900 in suspension but the rzr will be a step above that. The general will be comfy vs the rzr more capable in the narly stuff.

·
Registered
524 Posts
As was stated, two completely different machines.

If you do riding in dunes or sand, the TRE is worthless. It will dig itself down to the skid plate in the blink of an eye. It won't run with a turbo on the straight aways or on flat ground. Not a lot of room to carry stuff like a General.

It does pretty darn good in mud but, its a "digger". Really deep mud and it does the same thing as sand. Just digs you in deeper.

Get it in its natural habitat, an extremely challenging & technical trail where other RZR's & Jeeps fear to tread, it eats them up.

Top speed is "maybe" 60. I've had mine to 57 at 6000 feet elevation.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Love my trails and rocks edition. But like what’s been said above, it all depends on your riding style. I’m basically at sea level and have had my TRE pinned against the speed limiter multiple times.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Just my opinion. Not trying to convince you one way or the other, just my thoughts/feedback.

I fought this battle in my brain for some time. My kids/wife like to go riding 2-3 times per month. I had a Ranger 900xp and considered trading for a General XP instead. The Ranger just was not what we needed to do some of the harder trails with friends. I decided to buy a dedicated trail rig and keep the Ranger for all other. I ride around the house with family and work it on the farm, hunt, etc. multiple times per week. The RZR I bought is not a TRE, but similar choice after upgrades.

I now have the RZR strictly for trail riding. We load up the small space with our limited safety, recovery and survival supplies and go ride HARD. When we get home, the RZR does not move until going on a serious trail ride again. It works great for that, but does not work at all for my other hobbies. The Ranger shines for 60-70% of my weekend task. Negative is I have to spend money for two machines, store them, and etc.

Buddy of mine went a different route. He likes to trail ride (maybe not quite as hardcore as me). He also works on the farm, hunts and etc. He decided on the General XP4. It is a VERY nice compromise. It is much more sporty, with more suspension flex than my Ranger. Nice comfortable, roomy ride with a lot of accesories already installed. I think it is great for a moderate trail riding family and still has a slightly smaller bed than a Ranger for other task. Negative is that my RZR will eat his lunch all day if running hard. On a hardcore trail, he lacks some power, suspension travel and ground clearance that gives me an advantage to a dedicated trail rig.

If I had to do it over, I might have saved the money spent on two machines and got the General XP4 for my use. I think everyone else is on point with comments. It depends on what you do. If you live in a neighborhood and go riding only, go with the RZR. If you work on the farm etc., get the General. If you are dumb like me, get both. The only thing better than keeping one going, is having to maintain two of those things!

Sorry probably not much help!

·
Registered
28 Posts
As was stated, two completely different machines.

If you do riding in dunes or sand, the TRE is worthless. It will dig itself down to the skid plate in the blink of an eye. It won't run with a turbo on the straight aways or on flat ground. Not a lot of room to carry stuff like a General.

It does pretty darn good in mud but, its a "digger". Really deep mud and it does the same thing as sand. Just digs you in deeper.

Get it in its natural habitat, an extremely challenging & technical trail where other RZR's & Jeeps fear to tread, it eats them up.

Top speed is "maybe" 60. I've had mine to 57 at 6000 feet elevation.
If 60 is your top speed there is something wrong with it. I run 74, 75 on a regular basis!

·
Registered
524 Posts
If 60 is your top speed there is something wrong with it. I run 74, 75 on a regular basis!
Don't know if the speedo is accurate with my tire change. I have 32".

I probably had some more left but 60MPH on a gravel road was fast enough for me. I was driving a friends turbo a couple years earlier and had a bad experience doing about 75. Almost rolled it. I'm probably a little gun shy about going that fast in a RZR. Especially with a stock roll cage.

·
Registered
613 Posts
Don't know if the speedo is accurate with my tire change. I have 32".

I probably had some more left but 60MPH on a gravel road was fast enough for me. I was driving a friends turbo a couple years earlier and had a bad experience doing about 75. Almost rolled it. I'm probably a little gun shy about going that fast in a RZR. Especially with a stock roll cage.
Yeah, doing 70+ on a dirt road can get sketchy real quick. I don't have a TRE but going from stock 29s to 32s, i figure around 5mph off on speedo, but i could be wrong.

Interesting choice for the op to ask about a general or TRE 🤷🏾. The new general has improvements though....but still an odd choice of the two.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts