Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
839 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I remember 7 mph being the guideline number whether you should be in low or high gear for extended belt life. If you are on a trail where you are crawling rocks with short runs inbetween them and can hit 15-20 mph, is it better to stay in low? Should you crawl in high gear at all? Shifting back and forth all the time can't be good on them either?

Let's hear some opinions:ride:

·
Registered
203 Posts
i crawl on rocks or thru mud in low. then rev it up for those peices between the xlow parts.

·
Registered
302 Posts
I tend to stay in low and just wrap up the motor a little. As long as you're not getting to high rpm wise, it shouldn't be too hard on the motor, and it's the way I always ran my trucks without having engine issues. Staying in high range and lugging it however can lead to belt slippage, and other problems. Like you guys, I sure wish you could shift between high and low on the fly.

·
Registered
4,105 Posts
Since the motor wants to run in the 5500-6000 range anyway for best torque, when crawling I will go low gear then if short runs inbetween will stay in low gear, you can run upto 28 mph before you hit the rev limiter. If it is going to be a longer stretch where i think I will be going faster than 20 ish, i will stop and shift to high. I do not see that you will damage the belt running high rpm in low, rather you can damage the belt running low rpm with high torque need in high gear.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
i run low for anything under 20 mph no problems whatsoever.

·
Registered
505 Posts
i think my rzr has only been in low mabie twice really for no reason lol and i ride pritty much all kinds of trails im in high all the time

·
Registered
533 Posts
As a rule of thumb... I try to never run, at least on a pull (climb) below 3200 rpms. I belive I read this in a owners manual somewhere. It may have been in my 05 sportsman 800 manual. I have had that machine since new, and still have the same belt. and I have done a lot of pulling and climbing with the sportsman through the years, and it still runs great, so I figure to do the same with this rzr, even though, I don't remember seening this recommendation in the 2010 rzr manual. As I believe they have the same basic twin Polaris 800 engine, and transmission set up..John

·
Registered
839 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Good and varying opinions so far. Any one else have an opinion or experiences from doing the wrong thing on speeds and gears?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts