Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Brand new 2021 RZR Trail 900. 17 miles on her and goes into limp mode. Temperature at 273 degrees. After diagnosis turns out the fan motor burnt up and blew relay. Tested with 20amp fuse, as soon as it hit 205 degrees it blows fuse. Question, what do I ask the dealer to look at as far as the engine? We ran it 17 miles back home and kept it under 180 degrees and she ran ok. Just worried I might have warped something with that high of temperature.

·
Registered
957 Posts
you are going to have to have the dealer fix the fan issue,,,then diagnois and check to see if anything esle needs dealer attention...that high of temp may be a head gasket or warped head issue under full power...

·
Premium Member
3,451 Posts
I would think it would be good to have the dealer perform a leak down test ... and I would keep a close eye on the coolant levels.

Reactions: Phazewolf

·
Registered
214 Posts
Not sure about this but I think Polaris uses a plastic impeller for the water pump I would want that looked at to make sure that it's ok. Think I recall seeing a picture somewhere of one of those multi g bit not sure if that is related over a bad overheating situation or not but it's a quick check for a dealer anyways.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Update, looking closer at the situation, I lost 1.5 inches of coolant in the overflow. Oil does not look milky though.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Brand new 2021 RZR Trail 900. 17 miles on her and goes into limp mode. Temperature at 273 degrees. After diagnosis turns out the fan motor burnt up and blew relay. Tested with 20amp fuse, as soon as it hit 205 degrees it blows fuse. Question, what do I ask the dealer to look at as far as the engine? We ran it 17 miles back home and kept it under 180 degrees and she ran ok. Just worried I might have warped something with that high of temperature.
It should have went into limp mode around 240 degrees, IIRC. How did it get to 273?

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Definitely bringing it in for warranty work done and requiring a leak down test. May get lucky. Oil is not milky, wife did not see any smoke from exhaust on the way home. I do have an additional comment that hoping you guys could chime in on. When we went into limp mode the coolant was pouring into the overflow bottle almost to the top. Now, like I said before, it's much lower than normal. Any thoughts good or bad?

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It should have went into limp mode around 240 degrees, IIRC. How did it get to 273?
When we shut the machine off, we obviously stopped so there was no air flow getting to the radiator so it climbed. The engine was off but I was watching the gauge.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
When we shut the machine off, we obviously stopped so there was no air flow getting to the radiator so it climbed. The engine was off but I was watching the gauge.
Got it. Figured that might have been what happened; but was just asking to be sure.

·
Registered
49 Posts
So csacsa, imho i would ask for a new engine. If you lost coolant from the degas bottle, she was boiling under pressure (nfg). Cast Iron, maybe okay, but aluminum it cracks at high temps. Also steam jets in the coolant act like water jet cutters. I mean, you just bought it, totally unacceptable to have an overheat after the month or two you owned it. I could list several items that are compromised as a result of boiling. Not passing judgement on Polaris because they have not responded, but I would demand a new engine, anything less is unacceptable.

·
Registered
106 Posts
When I bought mine, I added the front camera before I rode it. Well when I removed the hood, my coolant bottle had hardly anything in it. I'm wondering if yours was low as well from day one?

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
628 Posts
No offense intended, but you may have set a new high score there at 273.
I had a brand new 2010 RZR S get hot on me during the first ride with it. Fan was not plugged in from the factory. It got hot enough to go into limp mode, but I was not watching the degrees gauge. I notified the dealership where I bought it and they were able to attach a note to my machine’s VIN in their system in case future problems arose with the top end. It never gave any trouble, though.

·
Super Moderator
2015 S900
8,131 Posts
Definitely a leak-down compression check, and documentation. No smoke is a good sign, but lost coolant is not.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Mine hits limp mode at 225 with stock settings. 240 is way to high, especially for a 900.

·
Registered
26 Posts
There are so many failures with this that it's really hard to put together. Long and short of it is your engine is now compromised with exposure to temps that high. I wouldn't trust it at all. As someone else mentioned, temps that high can warp and permanently damage your motor and other components that depend on your engine running as it should, like clutch, drive train etc. Your thermostat could be bad, water pump, temp sensor, wire harness, ECU.

Bottom line is with 17 miles on the unit, you shouldn't be running 273. Critical damage has occurred now and there is no telling to what or when it will begin to effect performance or operation. I would demand a new machine from the dealership. There are lemon laws in some states that may help you get out of the purchase and into another rig. Don't let the dealership tell you it's on you to deal with Polaris. Good luck man.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thank you all for your help. I will update when I hear back. Dealer said 4-5 weeks. Called around ,all about the same time frame. Yes that is for warranty work. I may piss a few people off but I wish Yamaha made a 50" machine. All of my Yamaha atvs were/are bullet proof.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Thank you all for your help. I will update when I hear back. Dealer said 4-5 weeks. Called around ,all about the same time frame. Yes that is for warranty work. I may piss a few people off but I wish Yamaha made a 50" machine. All of my Yamaha atvs were/are bullet proof.
I have an 2018 RZR 900 50". I hear a lot of people yelling about Polaris but the only problems I've had have been self inflicted and never an issue with the machine. Again, warranty work is 4-5 weeks. New machine is in a box at the dealer. I'd go that route as hard as I can.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts